Society & Culture Things that s**t me part X- The Tenth edition!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the hardest things I had to ever do , was going to the vet and getting her put down :(
Know the feeling. Four years ago one of our cats came to a fairly sudden end; everything just basically shut down at once.

Having him put down was gut wrenching.

*shockwave plugin has decided to be a campaigner*

*clicks DON'T SHOW ME AGAIN*

Goes to click sc tab

3 mins later

*Shockwave plugin has stopped working*

flme.gif

Telstra s**t me, have been calling them more than once a month for the last 6 months trying to upgrade our plan from 250 to unlimited data and they keep telling us they can't do anything for us, not even upgrade us to a 500 gig plan, so we tell them we're leaving for Optus and they say fine.

The day after we sign a 2 year unlimited plan with Optus (for less than what we were paying with telstra mind you) they call us up and offer us a free 300 gig upgrade for no additional charge...

Companies can only offer what they have available, when they have it available. Often times with these sorts of things people search for "better value" that's simply not there or not available, and have an incorrect perception that these companies could just offer anything at any time, but just choose not to.

Telstra specifically is limited in what they can offer with their service plans (in terms of inclusions and pricing), due to the monopoly they have on infrastructure, network size and quality. At the insistence of the ACCC, they legally have to give other providers the opportunity to offer "better deals" first, to create a more balanced marketplace.

Thats not even a special offer just for you. They have put it on everybodies account and its not optional. Dirty bastards. Can't wait til I can leave them from their over priced plans.

It's a limited bonus offer that's being given free of charge to people on older, out-of-market plans, to bring them in line with what is currently available. Trying to provide people with better value, without forcing them to recontract. How "terrible" of them :rolleyes:

Damon_3388 do you work for telstra

Just through research and asking questions as a consumer, I've come to understand how things work in that industry. As a customer, I also think Telstra provide a quality, reliable service for my internet and mobile phone (also have Foxtel and a home phone, too), and I feel the price I pay is fair and justified, not only for the usage allowances and content I am given, but for the aforementioned quality and reliability.

If you've got questions why certain things can and can't be done, or can or can't be offered, or how things work, just ask your provider. Often times the limitations of companies exist because they simply "can't", not because they "can, but choose not to, to gauge or cheat the consumer". If more people did ask and listen without the assumption that "biggest company = evil", there'd be less anger, and more informed customer choices made than simply "cheaper price = better" and "unlimited = best".

I'd like to ask foxtel some questions but I don't seem to ever be able to get through to anyone to actually chat to. The average wait time on hold has been 22 minutes regardless of the time of the day you ring.

Companies can only offer what they have available, when they have it available. Often times with these sorts of things people search for "better value" that's simply not there or not available, and have an incorrect perception that these companies could just offer anything at any time, but just choose not to.

Telstra specifically is limited in what they can offer with their service plans (in terms of inclusions and pricing), due to the monopoly they have on infrastructure, network size and quality. At the insistence of the ACCC, they legally have to give other providers the opportunity to offer "better deals" first, to create a more balanced marketplace.

It's a limited bonus offer that's being given free of charge to people on older, out-of-market plans, to bring them in line with what is currently available. Trying to provide people with better value, without forcing them to recontract. How "terrible" of them :rolleyes:

If they offered it to us initially we would have stayed, they explicitly didn't even though we were one of those customers that were eligible for the upgrade, I'm not sure how you can defend that

If they offered it to us initially we would have stayed, they explicitly didn't even though we were one of those customers that were eligible for the upgrade, I'm not sure how you can defend that

I can only assume it wasn't actually available for offer at the time you enquired. As I said, they can only offer to you what is available to offer at the time. They can't just "create" or "tailor-make" a service plan, or replicate what other providers have available to "match" them.

As far as I'm aware, although they can provide inceases to your usage allowance (may result in you simply having to pay more, too), that specific bonus offer wasn't a "ring up and get it offered to you" thing, but was a "we'll automatically apply this if you're eligible" thing, that has only been implemented within the last few weeks. I know, because I'm on an older out-of-market plan and I got it.

I'd like to ask foxtel some questions but I don't seem to ever be able to get through to anyone to actually chat to. The average wait time on hold has been 22 minutes regardless of the time of the day you ring.

Having called them before, yeah, it can be a long wait.

I can only I'd assume have a high call volume and high customer/potential customer-to-staff ratio. I doubt they're sitting there twiddling their thumbs or snickering while phones are ringing unanswered. Having worked in customer service roles myself, that sort of thing doesn't really advantage anyone. The work you're "avoiding" doesn't disappear. They're probably actually speaking to other customers, rather than "choosing" not to answer your call quickly.

What I actually take from being on hold for so long is that there call centres are under the pump because foxtel have had it there own way for so long and no longer respect their customer base. The only way to fix that is for customers to start walking away - unfortunately that's not going to happen in my case because I want to be able to watch my team play footy and this is the only way I can do so. The only other thing I can do is reduce my package to the bare minimum and this I will do but I doubt this will cause them any angst. I look forward to seeing what they can offer in 6-12 months once Netflix and co. start to become firmly entrenched in australian homes

What I actually take from being on hold for so long is that there call centres are under the pump because foxtel have had it there own way for so long and no longer respect their customer base.

Or, the volume of calls combined with the average length of calls causes a queue to form. But you know, it's better to assume some sort of negative "they're finally getting theirs!" outcome/scenario, right?

Not really sure what "disrespect" Foxtel are showing their customer base in the first place, either. Everyone has a different perception of "value" and different tastes/interests, but in terms of content, ease of availability of that content, and picture quality, I've always found it to be a pretty good value "you get what you pay for" proposition.

The only way to fix that is for customers to start walking away - unfortunately that's not going to happen in my case because I want to be able to watch my team play footy and this is the only way I can do so.

The only other thing I can do is reduce my package to the bare minimum and this I will do but I doubt this will cause them any angst.

I'm not sure why it would cause them "angst". You'd simply be a customer changing to an offering that suits your needs.

I've never understood this "begrudging" mentality people have with goods and services. If you really don't like the service, don't have it. Not everything suits everyone, and not everything is about "hitting them where it hurts" and "sticking it to the big boys", either.

I look forward to seeing what they can offer in 6-12 months once Netflix and co. start to become firmly entrenched in australian homes

What does Netflix offer from a content standpoint that Foxtel doesn't? Really only seems like an "better" option for those with narrow/niche interest in a couple of specific series.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

*shockwave plugin has decided to be a campaigner*

*clicks DON'T SHOW ME AGAIN*

Goes to click sc tab

3 mins later

*Shockwave plugin has stopped working*

flme.gif

I used to have flash crashing all the time before I got a computer with 8GB of ram.

Every time I go to dinner at my parents' place, they buy the most amazing cuts of meat because they know I am kind of a cheapskate when cooking for myself. Dad then proceeds to overcook the hell out of them on the BBQ because mum refuses to eat anything pink.

He tries to take mine off early but everything still always ends up too well done. It drives me up the wall, but I've stopped saying anything lest it make me seem ungrateful.

Every time I go to dinner at my parents' place, they buy the most amazing cuts of meat because they know I am kind of a cheapskate when cooking for myself. Dad then proceeds to overcook the hell out of them on the BBQ because mum refuses to eat anything pink.

He tries to take mine off early but everything still always ends up too well done. It drives me up the wall, but I've stopped saying anything lest it make me seem ungrateful.

Life's too short for well done steak. Instead of taking your steak off early just have it put on late. That way they can be ready at the same time yeah?

Or, the volume of calls combined with the average length of calls causes a queue to form. But you know, it's better to assume some sort of negative "they're finally getting theirs!" outcome/scenario, right?

Not really sure what "disrespect" Foxtel are showing their customer base in the first place, either. Everyone has a different perception of "value" and different tastes/interests, but in terms of content, ease of availability of that content, and picture quality, I've always found it to be a pretty good value "you get what you pay for" proposition.

Foxtel's customer service has been s**t for years, IMO.

I'm not rapt with iinet for example because my particular connection constantly has issues, but they're generally not that hard to get hold of, and the people who answer the phones tend to know more about internet connectivity problems than I do - which is the whole reason I call them! The people that run iinet place an emphasis on customer service. From my experience, Foxtel don't. I've never had a physical issue (dish, box etc.) but I had an account issue (their stuff up, I should point out) and it was a nightmare to get through to them and speak to someone who actually had any knowledge/authority to deal with my relatively straightforward issue. With increasing competition I would have thought placing a greater emphasis on customer support wouldn't be the worst idea in the world for them.

What does Netflix offer from a content standpoint that Foxtel doesn't? Really only seems like an "better" option for those with narrow/niche interest in a couple of specific series.

Netflix doesn't offer anything that Foxtel don't as such, but it's $10 a month. The cheapest Foxtel plan is what, $45 a month these days after they dropped the prices?

I'm a Foxtel customer, and with the exception of live sport and the odd show like Game of Thrones (which for the time being I could still just torrent anyway) it's mostly fluff - shows I have no interest in watching and syndicated series on endless repeat. I would estimate that the majority of Foxtel customers get it for the sports package, movie package or drama package. The entertainment package or whatever it's called is a waste of time, and everyone has to have it. New players like Netflix compete directly with the movie and drama package customers, which puts pressure on Foxtel's business model. It's healthy competition from my POV.

For her sake, let's hope your Dad isn't the same

Life's too short for well done steak. Instead of taking your steak off early just have it put on late. That way they can be ready at the same time yeah?
I just fart on my steak a couple of times, wave it over a cigarette lighter, and chuck on the plate. Ideally it should still moo when you put the fork in.

I just fart on my steak a couple of times, wave it over a cigarette lighter, and chuck on the plate. Ideally it should still moo when you put the fork in.

As long as you don't throw it in a pan fridge cold it will cook in the middle very quickly. I think this is part of the reason many people overcook their steak. If the juice isn't red when you cut it open you've done it wrong.

Shopping rage was at a full time high yesterday. Please do not stand in the middle of the isle talking or I will run you down and reverse back over you then do burn outs on your motionless carcass with my trolley
And don't stand at the entrance and have a 20-minute chat.

After almost missing my train on Wednesday ...

People who stand on escalators. They are not for able-bodied jackasses who have an hour to wait around when I have five minutes. And they don't even have the courtesy to stand to one side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back