List Mgmt. Trade: National Draft selection nos. 14 and 35 traded to Adelaide for selection nos. 10 and 47

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite possible Jon Douglas - interestingly odds are it will either be a KPD or Class Midfielder - we need both so we can't lose ?;)

The thing is we have only one pick really - so it has to be one or the other. I suspect it will be a KPB - but we also need a serious mid that can play in a season or two.

The KPB gives us a heap of talls - so with any luck we should be right for 5 years. Not that they are certainties with Clark having foot issues, Stanley still unproven, Vardy with hip issues, Simpson with back concerns, Hmac nearly over the hill and Blitz has not got to a standard where he will be influential player just yet. Hawkins and Taylor are the only real tall guns we have currently (with Lonergan to probably retire within a season or two). But I suppose if you have enough talls some will work out.

However we are down at least one really good mid if we are to compete with the better teams and maybe two down. Then we will lose SJ. So it could be argued we are 3 mids down.

I suspect GFC think Lang or JJ will make it and Caddy has still more upside. Hartman is looking quite good as well.

If we take a KPP we will probably have the tallest list in the land. The good thing is - that Blitz and Stanley are quick for big men - and Clark is quite agile for a tall. Simpson, HMac and Hawkins are only true slow players (besides GHS).

I know there is a lot of debate about leg speed and how useful it is - but for me it is the way footy is going. So if we can add a few quick running players to the mix - like Lang - it would make us a far more dangerous side IMO.

They say even Hamling for his size is quick, Bews has some pace as does Thurlow.

Reading all the ND reviews I get the feeling the best mids will probably be gone and we will pick a KP player. But who knows with Wells being our selector ?

As I said, it's not about TV for me. The post above I suspect is what got some of us going as I assumed you were referring to indigenous players in general.

On rereading it, it's possible that you were referring to the individual characterises of those two players. If that's the case I have no problem with it .....although the term "aborigine" may have been best left out.

If the comment refers to indigenous players in general, then I can't let it go without commenting.

This is it Chris, who brainwashed you to assume the word aborigine should be regarded as 'racist', Canberra did!

Personally I don't think the word indigenous solves anything, it's really about justice for all actually, which is what never really happens!

This is it Chris, who brainwashed you to assume the word aborigine should be regarded as 'racist', Canberra did!

Personally I don't think the word indigenous solves anything, it's really about justice for all actually, which is what never really happens!

I have no preference for either word (Aboriginal or Indigenous), I meant, in my opinion, it's irrelevant and unnecessary (but not wrong) and either word is best left out if you were talking about the individual characteristics of those two players.

Again, my concern (and the issue that I'm trying to stress) is that if we assign those characteristics to aboriginal/indigenous people in general then it is about colour/race and it is wrong.

Anyway, I'm out of here, lawns to be mown! We've both made our point.

Last edited:

These aborigine boys don't do it for me as high picks either (Cockatoo+Pickett), they come with far to much risk to gamble such rare opportunity to choose a future 200 game player this time round.
Wells needs to get this right for the future getting best outcome by eliminating as much risk as possible.

Would be quite obvious but I rarely post on these forums, just read over every now and then to see if there's any news on a particular story and to gain a consensus on supporters views on different decisions. I was very disappointed to read the above comment and hoped it wouldn't be dismissed, I am so glad the Geelong Big footy community have not let this comment be accepted. Meto your comment is about two footballers you know nothing about (cockatoo+pickett) except for their race and based on the fact they are indigenous, they don't cut it for you. You are not saying not to draft them on ability, or that it is a known fact either of them have behavioural issues, your saying that purely because of their race they are a risk. I disagree with some of the other posters that have said if there was evidence of indigenous players being "risky" then may be that would validate your point, regardless of what other players have done, neither of these two boys should be judged on that because of their race, to cancel them out based on that is racism. They each may be fantastic people, and they should be judged as individuals. Our recruiting staff will determine that, they will get to know each boy and work out as individuals whether they meet the values of the Geelong Football Club, I sure as hell hope they don't just say "These aborigine boys don't do it for me as high picks either". I understand your arguments of free speech and political correctness gone wrong blah blah, the fact is your comment was racist and demonstrates an out dated point of view. The fact that you don't recognise it, doesn't discount the fact it is racist, it just depicts the fact that some people are still not up to speed on these things, you being one. I know you don't think there is anything wrong with your comment, that is the point! It is up to everyone else to say, "hey that's not okay" and eventually if you just stop and think, and stop just being defensive, you may recognise that you were making a judgement on race and regardless of prior evidence, that is racism. Think about some of the other posters comments, would you say "these aborigine boys don't do it for me" in front of any indigenous person, if your answer is yes, then go and do it, may be then you will come to realise your error in judgement.

If you are saying that Cockatoo and Pickett are too risky as individuals due to the fact say cockatoo has missed most of the season, then you need to clarify and apologise because that is not the way your comment reads. Either way the need for the word aborogine isnt required, because it implies that is the reason for your judgement. No one is saying "these white fellas, goddard and degoey dont do it for me". It should purely say cockatoo and pickett dont do it for me because......

There have been many indigenous players who are stars in our game, and many players from other races and cultures who have been questionable of character, these boys deserve to be drafted on merit and not race. I for one hope both of them become fantastic players, and I think the GFC would be lucky to have them.

I can see where Meto is going, and I can see where people think it's racist.
Personally I think the biggest 'flight risks' are those with tight families.

i.e. If GWS uses a top 10 pick on a Melbourne kid with a tight family then I would immediately classify him as a flight risk.
If an aboriginal player comes from a small community, then I'd classify him as a Category 1 flight risk.
Because I think they are tighter than we can understand. Westerners are no where near as tight as aboriginals are in small communities.

If that's racist, then so be it.

BTW, I have no idea where the 2 players come from. I.e. the big smoke or a small community.
And apparently Picketts GF is heavily pregnant. She might be the flight risk!

I can see where Meto is going, and I can see where people think it's racist.
Personally I think the biggest 'flight risks' are those with tight families.

i.e. If GWS uses a top 10 pick on a Melbourne kid with a tight family then I would immediately classify him as a flight risk.
If an aboriginal player comes from a small community, then I'd classify him as a Category 1 flight risk.
Because I think they are tighter than we can understand. Westerners are no where near as tight as aboriginals are in small communities.

If that's racist, then so be it.

BTW, I have no idea where the 2 players come from. I.e. the big smoke or a small community.
And apparently Picketts GF is heavily pregnant. She might be the flight risk!

There are valid points on anyone being a flight risk, and I dont believe it is racist to discuss these matters. There would be certain players the football club may determine are a great risk, Pickett may be one, I dont know, but if he is, it should be determined on his individual circumstance, not the fact he is aboroginal. There are differences in culture no doubt, I dont think anyone is denying that, and they are worthy points, but there is a difference in saying "player x comes from a close nit family and I know he is hesitant about a move interstate" or something akin, compared to "these aborogines dont do it for me". From what Ive read and seen of him play, cockatoo seems like a rather competitive and determined young man, he deserved to be drafted on his personal merit not his race. There may be players who are not as willing to commit to the riggers of AFL but this certainly isnt typecast to one particular race.

I think I'm going to close this thread. The original OP was about the trade to get picks , its rolled into who we would pick , then rolled into a very familiar discussion on racism, prejudice , race profiling type stuff.

Just want to remind people though that sometimes a post can be written and emphasis can be taken from a part of the post when perhaps said it would not be so emphasized. There is a difference between implying something and inferring something. Did the poster imply something or did a reader infer it? Missunderstanding can be easy and especially so on here.

TC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back