Mega Thread Trade Targets 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would hope our untouchables are-
Murph, Gibbs, Hendo, Yaz, Menz. Please tell me its none of them?
Have to agree with this. Anyone else, I could live with giving up. His stock has undoubtedly risen since being a #1 pick with some impressive performances this year. Remarkable that he's only 18/19. I have an awful feeling that it could involve Yarran for some reason... to get quality, you need to give up quality, and we are kidding ourselves if we think we'll be able to tack just anyone on to that 1st round pick. The difference between a #1 pick with a year under his belt (one of the most promising I can remember) and a speculative #6 is huge.

We have massive weaknesses across the board (ie our midfield, but I think that's easier to build up as we shrewdly add some clean disposal around the likes of Murphy, Gibbs, Cripps, Menzel) so whatever we give up will seem like a blow, but ultimately the scarcity of gun key forwards will mean almost no one is untouchable given the opportunity to get Boyd.

But the thing that makes me most curious. What is our 2nd missing piece?! Is it the All-Spark?

Pick 6, Garlett and Warnock for Boyd?

No thanks. I understand he might be a star but that's too big a blow to our depth.
Surely you jest. If we could get that deal done, I would take it, implant myself into Usain Bolt's body and sprint off cackling in the opposite direction as fast as I could. Garlett and Warnock are currently playing VFL. GWS would not take that deal.

Have to agree with this. Anyone else, I could live with giving up. His stock has undoubtedly risen since being a #1 pick with some impressive performances this year. Remarkable that he's only 18/19. I have an awful feeling that it could involve Yarran for some reason... to get quality, you need to give up quality, and we are kidding ourselves if we think we'll be able to tack just anyone on to that 1st round pick. The difference between a #1 pick with a year under his belt (one of the most promising I can remember) and a speculative #6 is huge.

We have massive weaknesses across the board (ie our midfield, but I think that's easier to build up as we shrewdly add some clean disposal around the likes of Murphy, Gibbs, Cripps, Menzel) so whatever we give up will seem like a blow, but ultimately the scarcity of gun key forwards will mean almost no one is untouchable given the opportunity to get Boyd.

But the thing that makes me most curious. What is our 2nd missing piece?! Is it the All-Spark?

I think Cas needs to be added to the list of untouchables!!!!

Pick 6, Garlett and Warnock for Boyd?

No thanks. I understand he might be a star but that's too big a blow to our depth.
That's not really a hit on our depth at all. Warnock shouldn't be in the team next year (Wood and Casboult is a better ruck combo than any with him in it) and we should rookie a ruckman. Garlett is looking more and more like he will be sent back west in the trade period as much as I hope he can turn his form around and stay. We have small forwards.

doesnt mick believe most mids are dime a dozen, we might have to do what we have to do

This reminds me of the situation that the Hawks were in not too long ago, needing to revitalize their list. They made some hard calls, had the balls to lose players who wouldn't be around for their next flag and "stole" one in 2008. As much as it would hurt to lose some best 10 players I think we are at the stage where the hard decisions need to be made.
Precisely. The Hawks traded Croad to get the pick they used on Luke Hodge. If you want a jet and someone who addresses a need, then you have to give up quality. It was the same with Judd.
A revitalised Josh Bootsma...

Precisely. The Hawks traded Croad to get the pick they used on Luke Hodge. If you want a jet and someone who addresses a need, then you have to give up quality. It was the same with Judd.

A revitalised Josh Bootsma...
yes, thats the reality, cause it makes sense. if we want a no.1 who was a clear no.1 we have to give up something. I would hate if we lost hendo/yaz/menzel/cripps/ to get deal done but thats what it will take. offering players like lucas warnock etc is an insult and gws arent stupid.

Neither would have hanging onto Kennedy and drafting Masten.

Our approach is a lot more proactive today then it has been over the past few years.
Boyd would be a boon, even if we lost one of what we may have several of.
Not sure what you mean re: the Masten comment.
Maybe I wasn't clear but I was implying that it would be shrewd to trade away a player who's position we can cover.
I don't believe that we can cover the loss of Kreuzer with what we have.

We don't bat deep. I'm reticent of a 2 for 1 trade (though in such a scenario Boyd demands it), let alone giving up 3.

I like Garlett and have had time for Warnock but they both seem to pick and choose when to put in.
We've already lost one of those players in Bootsma and will lose at least another one at years end.

The team just can't afford to have their efforts break down for half-hearted output.
Most, if not all of the players that played on the weekend put in from start to end game.
At times that may not be enough but it's a non-negotiable going forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what you mean re: the Masten comment.
Maybe I wasn't clear but I was implying that it would be shrewd to trade away a player who's position we can cover.
I don't believe that we can cover the loss of Kreuzer with what we have.

You suggested that attaining Judd didn't net us a premiership.
I suggested that had have we not taken Judd, we wouldn't have won one anyway.
Judd brought about more good than just for team results. That won't be forgotten.

I hope we don't lose Kreuzer either but I will understand should that be the case.

Are we a better than 50-50 chance to get Boyd?

I hope so this thread is getting me excited.

According to MS3, he'll either be at GWS or Carlton next year, so you could say it's 50/50.
But we'd have to come up with a pretty good deal to get him, so GWS really do hold all the aces this year.

The biggest shame is that they are not at all desperate for a ruck. I would be happy to trade #6 and Kreuzer for Boyd, especially considering how hard it is to find a key forward as compared to trading wisely for rucks (think McEvoy, Maric, Jacobs!!). If only they hadn't have acquired Mummy last year. Also, if we are worried about not having enough picks in the draft, I wouldn't be surprised if we try to make the picks upgrades rather than giving it away entirely. By that I mean trading our first round for their second round (or something along those lines)

I like Garlett and have had time for Warnock but they both seem to pick and choose when to put in.
We've already lost one of those players in Bootsma and will lose at least another one at years end.

The team just can't afford to have their efforts break down for half-hearted output.
Most, if not all of the players that played on the weekend put in from start to end game.
At times that may not be enough but it's a non-negotiable going forward.
first 4 qaurters since i cant remember but i loved it :D

Warnock shouldn't be in the team next year (Wood and Casboult is a better ruck combo than any with him in it) and we should rookie a ruckman.

Cam Wood plays one game, gets smashed in the hitouts 26-43 and suddenly he's our first ruck??

Our only hope of sneaking into the 8 next year is if Warnock shoulders the burden for the majority of the year, allowing Kreuzer to rest in a Waite-less forward pocket.

Warnock has looked ordinary in a few games but remember he's a 10-15 game a season ruck who's been forced to carry the burden since Hampson jumped ship. Stick Wood in the ruck over 16 games and he'd look mighty haggard also.

(Agree on drafting one or two teenage ruckman. We need a 5 year plan on this one.)

If there is dialogue between the clubs about Boyd, you strike whilst the iron is hot.
Next year seems more likely to me but lots of things can change in 12 months.

If we truly rate Boyd above all the talls on offer this year and know that Patton or Cameron won't happen, you do it now.

You suggested that attaining Judd didn't net us a premiership.
I suggested that had have we not taken Judd, we wouldn't have won one anyway.
Judd brought about more good than just for team results. That won't be forgotten.

I hope we don't lose Kreuzer either but I will understand should that be the case.
Hold up.

I said that the Judd / Kennedy exchange didn't return us a premiership. I never said we shouldn't have gotten Judd. I am yet to be convinced that Carlton has fully shrugged off its outdated 'buy the best, f*** the rest' recruitment mentality. Would love them to prove me wrong.

If we were to lose Kreuzer then it would be nice to hear a justification from the club while they do all they can to find his replacement. Warnock and Wood are less than ideal number one rucks.

Hold up.

I said that the Judd / Kennedy exchange didn't return us a premiership. I never said we shouldn't have gotten Judd. I am yet to be convinced that Carlton has fully shrugged off its outdated 'buy the best, f*** the rest' recruitment mentality. Would love them to prove me wrong.

If we were to lose Kreuzer then it would be nice to hear a justification from the club while they do all they can to find his replacement. Warnock and Wood are less than ideal number one rucks.
maybe they have learnt wee can more or less lose the ruck contest and still be in it. Or mids are positioned to win off opposition ruck haha :D who knows what is what, but i cant help but smile when i think of what could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back