Mega Thread Trade Targets 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think you guys will try and package up 6 and ??? for Mitchell and Membrey..? or 6 alone would net both..?

I think it will be something like that. Given our public declaration of love for young Tommy, I'm of the view that the deal has been done, and will therefore be pick 6. What other player or picks we get in return I don't know? Maybe Mitchell and Sydney's 2nd for Pick 6/7 and our third?

On my limited viewing, I'd pick Moore over Durdin. Picking Moore at 6 would only be an issue if McCartin or Wright slid on the night.

We are likely to get Jaksch. So maybe we may prioritise an outside runner like Laverde or a mid like Ahern at pick 6?

Lots to play out. But under the right circumstances, Moore at 6 could fit our plans. But getting Jaksch might alter that.

Jaksch and Laverde/Ahern would be a very handy.

If Petracca goes 1, GWS have no need for a McCartin/Wright and will most likely be picked up by Dogs and Lions.

Jake Lever could slip to Pick 6 which would be huge, unless GWS take a punt on him at 2 with Jaksch leaving.

Will be a very interesting off season. Best of Luck for 2015!

There are a lot of similarities between Mitchell now and Kennedy then I will grant you that. There are differences though and those differences are important. They include

- Mitchell has already proven himself in the AFL as a player (Kennedy hadn't)
- The Swans know what we have (Hawthorn didn't)
- The Swans appreciate Mitchell's talent (Hawthorn didn't appreciate Kennedy's as they only offered him a 1 year contract)

Gee, I don't know. Kennedy at least had 10 games in his second season (since debut) at Hawthorn (13 all up) to Mitchell's 6 (20 all up). 9 of those games were the last 9 games Hawthorn played that year.

In those first two seasons, Kennedy averaged 18 disposals and Mitchell averaged 19.7. Tackles, Kennedy 4.2, Mitchell 5. Contested possessions Kennedy 7.5, Mitchell 8.7. Clearances Kennedy 3, Mitchell 2.3. Mitchell certainly hit the scoreboard more often though.

Kennedy had gritty mids Mitchell, Lewis, Sewell, Hodge in front of him so had to be fitted in as well.

Mitchell and Hodge played in all 10 of Kennedy's 2009 games. Lewis played in 9 (the last 9 of the year). Sewell played in 8 (missing rounds 2 and 19). I'd say Hawthorn knew how good he was and actively tried to play him in the side to keep him happy.

The big difference is there original perceived worth. Both father/son selections but I can't remember where Josh was rated prior to the draft, whereas Mitchell was rated in the first round somewhere. Also, Josh didn't play in his first year despite scribes saying he would get early games and he was a tank.

In theory I can handle losing 6 for Mitchell asuming he is THAT good (I have seen little of him admiteldy)

But I would want to get back into the top 30 via trades

It is a draft in which many experts say there is little difference between 10 and 30 so as long as you have a couple shots in the top 30 that is good

So prepared to lose 6 in theory

Got to laugh at Carlton supporters who support a club prepared to pay huge contracts to mediocre midfielders but don't consider a proven midfielder worth a decent pick. Good luck. He's contracted. You pay what Sydney want.

How about you learn team board rules and post with respect.

Which mediocre midfielders did we give huge contracts to?

If Sydney think as you do, I'm thrilled to let them keep paying $450k-$500k for Mitchell for the next 3 years while trying to manage the Franklin contract as the COLA decreases. Let's not forget that you guys were the ones that offered a huge contract to entice a 0 gamer to go father/son.

Certainty to retain Garlett. Get off his back blue supporters. We allowed Eddy to go . Mick understands people with issues over our supporters obviously do. Has a heap of personal issues we have no right to comment on. Will get back to his best in 2015 and kick 51

HalAlaric Big statement there.

Opinion, wish or knowledge?

Of course........but exactly how much of number 3? :)

Trade period would be so much more enjoyable knowing Garlett to be a required player.
I give complete certainty that he is a required player even given his past year and night out with robbo at 5am. The question is whether he wishes to remain a blue or even an afl player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys - newbie here. I have been reading through this for a while now before deciding to join.
It seems that everyone is under the impression that Sydney will be under the pump re the reduction in their salary cap but I think there will be a few things to consider there.
If Goodes retires then obviously that will free up money but also they still haven't re-signed Malceski either.
Malceski hinted that he might stay but just suppose that Geelong or Fremantle don't land their KPD target - it's not unreasonable to think that Geelong, Fremantle or even Hawthorn might end up throwing big money at Malceski?

With both of those 2 of Sydney's list then they would be able to afford to keep Mitchell and they wouldn't really care if he was running around in the NEAFL because they would have ready to go backup if any of their mids went down.

I would love to get Mitchell but I would also love to somehow keep our top 10 pick.
Maybe we could trade another player off the list like what the Saints did with Dal Santo/McEvoy and then on-trade that pick to Sydney?

Anyway, with all the hype around the possibility of Mitchell and Jaksch, I hope we haven't neglected to look at the possibility of getting some guys that may be on the fringes of another club's list

Anyway, with all the hype around the possibility of Mitchell and Jaksch, I hope we haven't neglected to look at the possibility of getting some guys that may be on the fringes of another club's list

Welcome Prem17

You could argues the Mitchell and Jaksch are on the fringe of their respective clubs' lists. :)

Know what you mean and I know that we're keen. 3 players........the three right players though.

Welcome Prem17

You could argues the Mitchell and Jaksch are on the fringe of their respective clubs' lists. :)

Know what you mean and I know that we're keen. 3 players........the three right players though.

Thanks Harker.
I am from WA and I had the misfortune of watching another WAFL Grand Final yesterday.
The conditions were absolutely woeful but one guy that stood out for me (again) was Blayne Wilson.
He is on the WCE list but didn't crack a game under Adam Simpson this year. He seems to be behind Hurn as a rebounding defender.
Wilson is a bit smaller than Hurn at about 188cms/88 kgs but he reads the ball better than both Touhy and White, marks strongly, tackles hard, runs his a.... off all day and never quits.
I have seen him in the last 2 WAFL Grand Finals and both times he has been named in the sides best 2-3 players and racked up 20+ possessions playing in defence when the midfield has been absolutely smashed.
I reckon he could be a smoky and would cost us next to nothing?
Thoughts?

Pick 6 for Mitchell & Reid may not be that far fetched if the Swans wanted to bring in Paddy Ryder (depending on how far Ess is pushed @ trade time) and/or Frawley?
If they kept pick 6 for the draft, picked up Ryder (replacing Reid in the fwd line) and also Heeney under the academy bidding they'd be pretty happy and still the possibility of a free hit through FA with Frawley for their backline. Money shuffles along with the supposed high paid duo of Mitchell & Reid.

Pick 6 for Mitchell & Reid may not be that far fetched if the Swans wanted to bring in Paddy Ryder (depending on how far Ess is pushed @ trade time) and/or Frawley?
If they kept pick 6 for the draft, picked up Ryder (replacing Reid in the fwd line) and also Heeney under the academy bidding they'd be pretty happy and still the possibility of a free hit through FA with Frawley for their backline. Money shuffles along with the supposed high paid duo of Mitchell & Reid.

Their club chairman ruled out making a play for Ryder.

I still think it will be #7 for Mitchell and Membrey

How about you learn team board rules and post with respect.

Which mediocre midfielders did we give huge contracts to?

If Sydney think as you do, I'm thrilled to let them keep paying $450k-$500k for Mitchell for the next 3 years while trying to manage the Franklin contract as the COLA decreases. Let's not forget that you guys were the ones that offered a huge contract to entice a 0 gamer to go father/son.

I actually apologise for that. I arrived here through a search function and posted without realising it was a club board. I stand by my opinion but it was ill mannered to express it here.

I actually apologise for that. I arrived here through a search function and posted without realising it was a club board. I stand by my opinion but it was ill mannered to express it here.

That's fine. Do you care to explain the huge contracts we give to mediocre mids?

That's fine. Do you care to explain the huge contracts we give to mediocre mids?

I think that contracts in excess of $600k for midfielders that aren't Gary Ablett are excessive. A successful club needs at least 8 quality midfielders. Paying big money to key forwards is different as there are very few who are or can be elite. Carlton could have achieved the same return from a $300k midfielder and got four of them for what they paid Thomas and Gibbs.

I think that contracts in excess of $600k for midfielders that aren't Gary Ablett are excessive. A successful club needs at least 8 quality midfielders. Paying big money to key forwards is different as there are very few who are or can be elite. Carlton could have achieved the same return from a $300k midfielder and got four of them for what they paid Thomas and Gibbs.
Except that Gibbs isn't on 600. But good try. In fact, he's on 50k more than a guy who's playing for your reserves. Talk about overpaying.

Are you aware that we drafted Gibbs.

We didn't trade for him!

BTW what is Mitchell on for a reserves player?

Back in your box - a player in your seconds is on $500k per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back