Analysis Training Watch - Off Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't wait to see who wins the 3km time trial. Hill and Hartung must be really closing the gap otherwise Smith probably wouldn't have come back early to make sure he's cherry ripe to protect his title.

Just observing Hawk TV and training, looked like Ratts was taking control of the 1st-4th year players.

Can't help but think we've got a ripper in Ratts. A very valued member at Glenferrie however his stocks are seemingly highly undervalued in the footballing industry.
Was extremely hard done by at Carlton especially looking at where that Carlton side was and where it is now. Seemed to get that best out of his players and team.

The strange thing is I never really noticed Ratts until he got sacked, notably at the press conference where I was taken aback by his reaction, the way he spoke and how humble he was. It spoke of a guy with the utmost integrity. They say its not what what happens but how you deal with it that matters or as an old coach used to say 'its more about how you perform when you're 10 goals down than 10 goals up that counts'.

A lot of plaudits go to our club for its ability to unearth solid draft talent and develop them, I would argue Ratts is influencing this in a big way by developing these guys and getting the best out of them. Hope he's with us for a good while yet.
My sentiments entirely.
Ratten couldn't coach and Malthouse was going to do wonders with Carlton, now he says they haven't got the players.
Yes I hope he is with us for a while especially with us losing 3 assistants in 3 years. One of the best if not the best assistant going around.

Is Langford in the 1st-4th group how long has he been at the club.
He is in that group. Maybe those that played in the Grand Final are given extra time off. Either as a reward or to satisfy the amount of time they should have off as part of the agreement with the AFLPA.

He is in that group. Maybe those that played in the Grand Final are given extra time off. Either as a reward or to satisfy the amount of time they should have off as part of the agreement with the AFLPA.

Hill has been training since day one

Can't wait to see who wins the 3km time trial. Hill and Hartung must be really closing the gap otherwise Smith probably wouldn't have come back early to make sure he's cherry ripe to protect his title.
We had f&ck all run a few years ago compared to now. Saw a need and dealt with it.

Love the positive competitive spirit in the group. Billy Hartung is a total gun in the making and it's almost unfair we have him along with Smith and Hill. Can kick like buggery on both sides and takes the game on. Chuck in blokes like Lithers and Langers and we are doing okay. Fun times

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When did Hill start? Surely only year 4 now at the latest?
As far as I'm aware he was there day 1 with everyone else. I can't remember if he started back day 1 last year or not though. HFC Official might be able to let us know if 1st to 4th year premiership players are exempt from returning with the rest of them and if not where is young Will?

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware he was there day 1 with everyone else. I can't remember if he started back day 1 last year or not though. HFC Official might be able to let us know if 1st to 4th year premiership players are exempt from returning with the rest of them and if not where is young Will?
Isn't Langford technically a 5th year player. He was drafted in 2010. So his 5th year is coming up. However that theory doesn't make sense when seeing Litherland out there who was drafted in the same year.

Does anyone get the feeling that Lake and Frawley will eat Buddy and Tippett for breakfast? Hanging for those two to line up for us. Frawley is a beast!

Frawley is the perfect match up for Franklin, he matches him in both speed and agility at ground level......those out the back goals have just become that much harder.

Frawley is the perfect match up for Franklin, he matches him in both speed and agility at ground level......those out the back goals have just become that much harder.
To be fair there's no KPD that can go with Buddy for speed and agility. He's a freak. Frawley is one of the better equipped to go head to head with him in that area if he plays him smart and shouldn't give an inch in a battle of strength. When put into our defensive unit I reckon it starts to stack into our favour.

To be fair there's no KPD that can go with Buddy for speed and agility. He's a freak. Frawley is one of the better equipped to go head to head with him in that area if he plays him smart and shouldn't give an inch in a battle of strength. When put into our defensive unit I reckon it starts to stack into our favour.

.I think Frawley is one that can match him in those areas.

Check out from 1.16.

Also, for Schulz I would've thought he would be perfect.

Precisely......Port played Shultz to perfection in the prelim, they played him as a hit up target, he then gave the ball of by hands to midfielders running past with little no pressure....this created space behind him for the short people to run into.
Cut out the hit up and the easy ball, the running into space then becomes void.

I suggest that Hilly decided to come back early instead of doing the off season running. Looks like all he's done since September is eat pies. And fair enough too, he'll burn it off before Christmas.

I want to know about those pies.

I want some!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back