Unpopular Opinions (Association Football version)

Remove this Banner Ad

starting to really think that relegation is actually a possibility for chelsea if mourinho stays.

week after week it's 'this will be the week it all clicks' and then it just doesn't. bloke needs to walk out.

I think they're going to find it immensely difficult to even break into the top half. The teams in that middle bracket are stronger, more stable and have more depth than they've ever had in the history of the Premier League. It's not a fait accompli (in fact it's very unlikely) that they'll all start dropping points and allow Chelsea back in after Christmas, they'll need a hell of a lot of things to go their way to get anything out of this season.

I think they're going to find it immensely difficult to even break into the top half. The teams in that middle bracket are stronger, more stable and have more depth than they've ever had in the history of the Premier League. It's not a fait accompli (in fact it's very unlikely) that they'll all start dropping points and allow Chelsea back in after Christmas, they'll need a hell of a lot of things to go their way to get anything out of this season.

You are right.

The simple truth is that Chelsea's prominence in recent times has not been down to Mou or Terry or anyone really. It has been down to financial muscle. Now that things have evened off to some little degree that prominence is under threat as never since they emerged under Abramovic.

Mid division is packed with teams who are capable of bringing it to the likes of Chelsea now. They won't be top 6 and will do well to be top 10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How can so many people still not realize that there is no 'h' in Cristiano Ronaldo's name? He's the highest profile player in the game, has been around for ages and has won so much yet so many still can't spell his name properly.

Unless that was a deliberate FAITH gag, in which case who cares, Leonel Messy is better than both.

Just to play Devil's Advocate, is that claim really that outrageous?

Say what you like about Ronaldo's individual achievements, but from a team view, Ibra's got Ronaldo covered:

Ronaldo:
4 League titles (3 x PL, 1 x LL)
5 Domestic Cups (1 x FA, 2 x L, 2 CDR)
2 Champions League Cups
1 CWC

Ibra:
10 league Titles (2 X E, 4 X SA, 1 X LL, 3 X L1 -2 Juve titles, but soon to be +1 Liegue 1) [In fact, if you include the two Juve titles, Ibra has won a title every year since 2004 for 6 different clubs, including three different Serie A clubs)
4 Domestic Cups (1 x DC, 2 x CDLL, 1 CF)
1 CWC

Let's not forget that Real Madrid is meant to be a 'Superclub' (and I've got an unpopular opinion on that one), and all of Ronaldo's time there, he's accomplished less at Madrid then he has at United. That's a poor record in a team game and for a supposed 'Super Club,' blooming Atletico has the same number of titles, and La Liga's meant to be a two horse race.

I'm not a fan of Ibra's persona these days, but the guy doesn't know the meaning of 2nd place. His team achievement list is just outstanding and very respectable. Double Digits in Domestic Titles, three different clubs in the same league, very nice.

Of course, this is just from a team point of view I'm just noting here. Let's not forget that Ibra has Sweden as his team, and these days, you might as well call it 'Zweden.' At least Portugal can somewhat survive without Ronaldo. If Sweden makes tournaments these days, it's usually because of Ibra.

im only considering individual awards and talent. since moving to ligue 1 unless psg with the cl then it's really been irrelevant for ibrahimovic.

That's fair enough, but if French Football does take off, you could credit Ibra for making it 'relevant' and giving it well needed publicity. Otherwise it was the 'meh' league out of the Top 6. Heck, you could make the same argument for Bayern in the last three years, around the same time as PSG's dominance (though I do have to admit the gap is far larger for PSG, but it's possible that the equality of the teams in the league have some say in it). Mind you, his career even without PSG is still pretty respectable.

Let's not forget Ibra is 34, and is a top 10, probably top 5 player even now. He's still doing the business nicely enough no matter the level. For a big man like Ibra, that's very impressive. His team is starting to get its act together, and who knows, PSG could surprise the 'Super Clubs.' Of course, that is yet to be seen if Ibra's CL dream is a reality. We'll see what happens to CR7 if he can keep it up at 34.

Just note: I don't mind either player, I'm just making a comparison.

Just to play Devil's Advocate, is that claim really that outrageous?

Say what you like about Ronaldo's individual achievements, but from a team view, Ibra's got Ronaldo covered:

Ronaldo:
4 League titles (3 x PL, 1 x LL)
5 Domestic Cups (1 x FA, 2 x L, 2 CDR)
2 Champions League Cups
1 CWC

Ibra:
10 league Titles (2 X E, 4 X SA, 1 X LL, 3 X L1 -2 Juve titles, but soon to be +1 Liegue 1) [In fact, if you include the two Juve titles, Ibra has won a title every year since 2004 for 6 different clubs, including three different Serie A clubs)
4 Domestic Cups (1 x DC, 2 x CDLL, 1 CF)
1 CWC

Let's not forget that Real Madrid is meant to be a 'Superclub' (and I've got an unpopular opinion on that one), and all of Ronaldo's time there, he's accomplished less at Madrid then he has at United. That's a poor record in a team game and for a supposed 'Super Club,' blooming Atletico has the same number of titles, and La Liga's meant to be a two horse race.

I'm not a fan of Ibra's persona these days, but the guy doesn't know the meaning of 2nd place. His team achievement list is just outstanding and very respectable. Double Digits in Domestic Titles, three different clubs in the same league, very nice.

Of course, this is just from a team point of view I'm just noting here. Let's not forget that Ibra has Sweden as his team, and these days, you might as well call it 'Zweden.' At least Portugal can somewhat survive without Ronaldo. If Sweden makes tournaments these days, it's usually because of Ibra.
The titles for Inter and PSG were kinda one horse races.

And not to mention that Ibra has never been in a league with a team as good as barca.

Ibra has more talent then ronaldo arguably but I honestly cant think of a player who works as hard as ronaldo and demands so much from himself and his teamates. Ronaldos greatness is the very fact that he has been the only player who can say they have been as good as Messi who is so far ahead of everyone else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back