2nds VFL - Geelong Cats vs North Ballarat 12.10pm, Saturday 13th June Simonds Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a much harder gig than it looks.
Yes, it is a tough job but these blokes get paid well to do a good job and they need to perform. It's a shame that there aren't more umpires around, so the good ones could be elevated and the bad ones dropped to an even lower level.
Sometimes there will be days that they just can't seem to please anyone but it's not about pleasing people, it's about making the correct decisions.

An article in our WA paper yesterday had a look at the WAFL umpires and the free kick count for and against teams and particular players. The umpiring coordinator was pretty happy with the WAFL umpiring because the umpires got it right about 85% of the time. I would like to see a similar article written on the AFL umpires.

Yes, it is a tough job but these blokes get paid well to do a good job and they need to perform. It's a shame that there aren't more umpires around, so the good ones could be elevated and the bad ones dropped to an even lower level.
Sometimes there will be days that they just can't seem to please anyone but it's not about pleasing people, it's about making the correct decisions.

An article in our WA paper yesterday had a look at the WAFL umpires and the free kick count for and against teams and particular players. The umpiring coordinator was pretty happy with the WAFL umpiring because the umpires got it right about 85% of the time. I would like to see a similar article written on the AFL umpires.

The Umps periodically give similar reports here, based on their weekly analyses.
The problem is that it is only the Umps organisers doing the analysis and reporting, and there is an obvious conflict of interest.

What did everyone think of Jansen? He is trying but lacks something . Is explosiveness. Is it impact. Is it just balance . Like him and maybe he will be a lot better in the more contested AFL game style

That last sentence could be true, just throw him in the deep end and see if he'll swim I think the kid's up for it, he's a second year player and the forms pretty ok.
He can have the subs vest next week if there's a spot.

Don't know what you consider 'pay well', but I can tell you the VFL umps certainly don't get it.

Yes it is a shame more umpires aren't around. We lose a lot of good prospects coming through the ranks because working conditions are quite frankly appalling. The second fans stop viewing umps as the enemy, this may change. A lot a blaming and criticism occurs from people who quite frankly aren't in the position to do so.

I can tell you, this game is the easiest game to umpire until you actually do it.

That last sentence could be true, just throw him in the deep end and see if he'll swim I think the kid's up for it, he's a second year player and the forms pretty ok.
He can have the subs vest next week if there's a spot.

Just not sure. Its sort of reverse of of McFarlane. He really looks dangerous at this level but could he handle a game like that Port one last night. Its almost a different game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know what you consider 'pay well', but I can tell you the VFL umps certainly don't get it.

Yes it is a shame more umpires aren't around. We lose a lot of good prospects coming through the ranks because working conditions are quite frankly appalling. The second fans stop viewing umps as the enemy, this may change. A lot a blaming and criticism occurs from people who quite frankly aren't in the position to do so.

I can tell you, this game is the easiest game to umpire until you actually do it.

Probably the only sport where the umpires have to be as athletic or more so than the players themselves. I understand where you're coming from, what you say is true. Trouble will always be subjectiveness of the rules in the grey areas.

Jansen - very good first half. For some reason moved forward third quarter, went out of it a bit due to that. Came back into the mid late, then in the fourth. Good little touches here and there. Good tackling. Probably could get a call up. I thought he was up there with the better players.

Cocky - ran hard all day, both ends. Left behind at times by opponent, probable due to fitness. Disposal let him down at times, mainly decision to give, was the wrong one. Played ok in the middle, but it was a fierce game with a lot of tackles. Found space quite a few times.

Luxford - major ball winner, though did do some ordinary things, mainly in the wrong position. Came very good late, provided with lots of link play, got us back in it.

Blease - in and out of game, massive electric run in the third; to turn it over and then rebounded the length of the ground for a goal to Norf. Very fast, got free a few times. Kicked the goal from a tough spot to get us the lead with a couple of mins on the clock. So that was a quality finish under pressure.
I think the coach was keeping up with what he should be doing, by reading BF. Someone here suggested it earlier in the thread.. ;)

Just not sure. Its sort of reverse of of McFarlane. He really looks dangerous at this level but could he handle a game like that Port one last night. Its almost a different game

I know you're so right, it's almost a different game....That's why I'd say subs vest at best, they gave Luxford a shot so I don't see why not against Melbourne, although even they're dangerous these days.

What did everyone think of Jansen? He is trying but lacks something . Is explosiveness. Is it impact. Is it just balance . Like him and maybe he will be a lot better in the more contested AFL game style

Thought first half was great, especially near the end of the second. Took a fantastic grab in the front spot which got us a run down the ground for a goal.

He's got it, just needs to believe in himself

Yeah, I figure the abuse would turn quite a few umpires away in the early stages. I had boys playing junior footy and had a fair bit to do with the umps, as manager of one of our U17s teams. I made sure that I always thanked them and praised their work after each game. The coaches also did the same and stamped on any player who dared argue with an umpire or crack the sads about a decision they didn't agree with. It's slowly changing but I hope this sort of protection of young umpires aids in increasing umpire numbers.

I think our junior umps got something like $100 a game, increasing with the age of the team they umpired (that was several years ago), which is good money for a teenage kid to pocket every weekend for a couple of hours work. It's a big commitment and the physical training can be tough for kids to keep up with as they get older. There are lots of different reasons for umpire trainee numbers dropping off as kids get older

Thought first half was great, especially near the end of the second. Took a fantastic grab in the front spot which got us a run down the ground for a goal.

He's got it, just needs to believe in himself
I've never see Jansen TG is he a head over the ball type,go when it's tour turn to go?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back