2nds VFL - Geelong Cats vs North Ballarat 12.10pm, Saturday 13th June Simonds Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

The kids raised the entry level bar last night Turbo.

Interesting point. Did they? No doubt on what they did but I still think we have be prepared to get kids in EVEN if it cost us little bit because the gain is what we saw last night. If you are lucky we get a Gregson... who is how looking like one of the Wizards best picks in the 40's (an thats saying something) , sometimes its a Lang but more often its a Thurlow. You pay the price for a game or 2 , perhaps a year or two... but then you get reward for lowering the entry.

Watching Cockatoo today... he has lost that glow of form that had him in the side. But it will be good for him
Jansen and Kolo...I just wonder if its time to give them a taste. Lower the entry point and reap the harvest down the track. More value playing Stokes now than Jansen YES. Long term.. ??? With Kelly out... maybe they will have no choice anyway.

A few comments by people who saw the game about Jansen, Cockatoo, Blease, Luxford & their performances?

Jansen was better today than last week - about his average output. He is a very good kick and quite a powerful runner. If he gets the ball he can be very damaging. And there's the rub - he should get more of it with his tools. If he gets a game at AFL level he would be much better value than Luxford in every department and if they hit him in open space he could provide some finish. A bit similar in the find the ball department as Kersten and the Murdoch of past years.

Cockatoo was poor IMO. Looked a little disinterested at times but maybe I am just imagining. He has little idea yet how to set up / play the game. Has all the tools in spades but will need 6-8 more games (at least) plus after game analysis to get him up to speed.

Blease was a bit better early in the year. Better inside than I thought he was supposed to be - busy. Would not look out of place at AFL but may not get a chance if our kids keep producing. Disposal the main query for me.

Luxford was not as good today as usual but got in to it in third and last. What you see is what you get. No special skill, it will be determination and brains that will get him to AFL level (if he makes it).

Bates not as good today. But you can see what he offers. The Ronnie Burns comparison is interesting. A good one. Burns is/was more evasive I reckon and Bates likes more space and has a raking left foot when he is on the run. I can see why he is being played across half back.

McFarlane not as good today as last week, but he makes me shift a little forward in my seat when he gets it. Interesting player its all or nothing when he has it.

That Sheringham tackle was worth the walk to KP!

Interesting point. Did they? No doubt on what they did but I still think we have be prepared to get kids in EVEN if it cost us little bit because the gain is what we saw last night. If you are lucky we get a Gregson... who is how looking like one of the Wizards best picks in the 40's (an thats saying something) , sometimes its a Lang but more often its a Thurlow. You pay the price for a game or 2 , perhaps a year or two... but then you get reward for lowering the entry.

Watching Cockatoo today... he has lost that glow of form that had him in the side. But it will be good for him
Jansen and Kolo...I just wonder if its time to give them a taste. Lower the entry point and reap the harvest down the track. More value playing Stokes now than Jansen YES. Long term.. ??? With Kelly out... maybe they will have no choice anyway.
You know we still have so much to look at on the list not only the kids but LTI players in Vardy and Menzel and we are down to probable a dozen games to do it before big decisions need to be made at the end of the season and on top of that we will have to make a decision on the long term viability of Stanley and Clark unless they can start to string games together.Boy there won't be a dull moment between now and the draft.
I'm really enjoying watching this all unfold.

Jansen was better today than last week - about his average output. He is a very good kick and quite a powerful runner. If he gets the ball he can be very damaging. And there's the rub - he should get more of it with his tools. If he gets a game at AFL level he would be much better value than Luxford in every department and if they hit him in open space he could provide some finish. A bit similar in the find the ball department as Kersten and the Murdoch of past years.

Cockatoo was poor IMO. Looked a little disinterested at times but maybe I am just imagining. He has little idea yet how to set up / play the game. Has all the tools in spades but will need 6-8 more games (at least) plus after game analysis to get him up to speed.

Blease was a bit better early in the year. Better inside than I thought he was supposed to be - busy. Would not look out of place at AFL but may not get a chance if our kids keep producing. Disposal the main query for me.

Luxford was not as good today as usual but got in to it in third and last. What you see is what you get. No special skill, it will be determination and brains that will get him to AFL level (if he makes it).

Bates not as good today. But you can see what he offers. The Ronnie Burns comparison is interesting. A good one. Burns is/was more evasive I reckon and Bates likes more space and has a raking left foot when he is on the run. I can see why he is being played across half back.

McFarlane not as good today as last week, but he makes me shift a little forward in my seat when he gets it. Interesting player its all or nothing when he has it.

That Sheringham tackle was worth the walk to KP!

That tackle was unreal. Kept the game in our hands, hit him with a bang and held on. Was one of the best plays all day

JK did not play today, and it was running around my head that they may have him in mind for next week, given that Kelly will be unlikely to take his place in the team next week

Thought first half was great, especially near the end of the second. Took a fantastic grab in the front spot which got us a run down the ground for a goal.

He's got it, just needs to believe in himself

I think from the little I see live its a bit of fitness and staying in the game consistently.

There were points near the end of the game ( to be fair they were all tanked) where he was labour hard. My point is not so much he was doing anything wrong by sucking wind but as Luxford found out last week, the speed is another gear again.
Apart from that, not really a lot wrong. If I was being really picky you could add some decision making but that comes with experience. I could see him in very soon. I would say as early as next week but good luck Chris Scott and the MC resting anyone for Boris' 300.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know we still have so much to look at on the list not only the kids but LTI players in Vardy and Menzel and we are down to probable a dozen games to do it before big decisions need to be made at the end of the season and on top of that we will have to make a decision on the long term viability of Stanley and Clark unless they can start to string games together.Boy there won't be a dull moment between now and the draft.
I'm really enjoying watching this all unfold.

Not being able to get on the ground to influence decisions make it easier. Vardy looking down the barrel for mine. Only the way we go with Simpson and Hmac will help him. Anything from any of these LTI guys now would be a last roll of the dice stuff.

JK did not play today, and it was running around my head that they may have him in mind for next week, given that Kelly will be unlikely to take his place in the team next week

yes I realise he did not play today Rab , while standing at "the bar" I was trying to see which listed guys put their hand up. Maybe not playing give him a leg up next week. Cant say any of the others really stood out

yes I realise he did not play today Rab , while standing at "the bar" I was trying to see which listed guys put their hand up. Maybe not playing give him a leg up next week. Cant say any of the others really stood out

At the bar. You could not have been too far from us.
Us being Daz, Willo, Willo Jr and I.

Cant say any of the others really stood out

Besides JJ and the recently elevated Luxford there were not too many AFL listed players out there. Only a few rookies in The Littler Master, Read, Lucey. I really cannot think of any others at the moment. Although someone may point out an obvious omission.

Last edited:
Bates with the Will Smith circa Fresh Prince of Bel Air haircut.

i didnt see it, can he work up to a high top fade?

image.jpg

Besides JJ and the recently elevated Luxford there were not too many AFL listed players out there. Only a few rookies in The Littler Master, Read, Lucey. I really cannot think of any others at the moment. Although someone may point out an obvious omission.

Cockatoo, Blease.

Not being able to get on the ground to influence decisions make it easier. Vardy looking down the barrel for mine. Only the way we go with Simpson and Hmac will help him. Anything from any of these LTI guys now would be a last roll of the dice stuff.
Yep every chance we could be without Stanley Clark Simpson Hmac and Vardy next week.Back to Walker and Blits.I wonder about the head space of Clark if he were to get up for the Melb game.

Probably not far , I'm mean all the crowd is in the Hickey after all and the bar is probably in the middle. Not sure why I hadn't really noticed it before but I looked for it today.
Not many but we have to find two players for next week , so id have thought one could stand out.

Cockatoo, Blease.

If Cockatoo gets picked its purely on hope
Blease did nothing that I have not seen before..why pick him now.

Do we drill running distances at training? I like to think a player should know how far he can run before bouncing it.. Blease seem to bounce it early a lot.
Thats one rule Id like to see changed. Not distance but time with the ball. You have 3 ,4,5 seconds to run with it before bouncing it. Its obvious the 15 Metres just gets ignored more times than not. I mean.. 50 M line ..to the rules a player would have to bounce twice in that area from FB.

If Cockatoo gets picked its purely on hope
Blease did nothing that I have not seen before..why pick him now.

Do we drill running distances at training? I like to think a player should know how far he can run before bouncing it.. Blease seem to bounce it early a lot.
Thats one rule Id like to see changed. Not distance but time with the ball. You have 3 ,4,5 seconds to run with it before bouncing it. Its obvious the 15 Metres just gets ignored more times than not. I mean.. 50 M line ..to the rules a player would have to bounce twice in that area from FB.

No, I wasn't saying to pick them, I was just adding them to the couple of AFL players Rabbi mentioned.
I don't think any of the AFL players did anything much today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back