2nds VFL Round 15 - Geelong v Essendon, Simonds Stadium, 11:00AM Saturday 25 July

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't do much

And slips over more than anyone I've seen I reckon... would almost think he was playing in sneakers.

That has actually been a noticeable problem in the 1sts, especially when (a) contesting one on one, and (b) when turning 180 to chase back to the goals.
You would think these are problems which can be fixed.

Paul Hood thought Menzel wouldn't break in to the AFL side just yet, for what that's worth.

Personally, I don't think the club would have expected Menz to be going this well three games back. The question will be do they divert from the plan they had previously.

When he's fit enough, he'll play straight away.
Well today was our last trip interstate this H&A season so I'll go to the game if he does break through this season. I'll even fork out some $$ if it's an away game. I won't miss his return should it happen:thumbsu:

That has actually been a noticeable problem in the 1sts, especially when (a) contesting one on one, and (b) when turning 180 to chase back to the goals.
You would think these are problems which can be fixed.
I would have thought some boots with longer stops wouldn't hurt :D

He did at one point slip over but recover brilliantly to spring up and nail the bloke trying to evade him in a tackle.

I would have thought some boots with longer stops wouldn't hurt :D

He did at one point slip over but recover brilliantly to spring up and nail the bloke trying to evade him in a tackle.

I think it's a more persistent problem with knowing how to build and apply his core strength, so that his stops sink further into the ground.;)

Cocky played back, was pretty good the last quarter in particular taking a few good marks in the last line of defense when we were well and truely under the pump.

His closing speed in defence is incredible.... at one point in the 3rd Chappy lead and had the ball passed to him in the pocket.. he was all clear and I thought Cocky was out of it yet he hit the contest at the absolute perfect time and killed it out of bounds, and Chap even looked around with a 'where did he come from' look about him. There was another point he misread the contest and didn't get to the fall of the ball in time, meanwhile his opponent dropped out the back and got 25 metres on him.... cocky had made up the ground and was back on his bloke before the ball had even been kicked in there

I think it's a more persistent problem with knowing how to build and apply his core strength, so that his stops sink further into the ground.;)
Lets just agree that both our points wouldn't hurt :D

My money would be on one of the scapegoats but I just don't know. I've even looked through the team sheet twice to find a spot. :(

May have to look harder TC, if Menzel does get a game we may (should) need to drop two from todays AFL side ......................

"Stokes was the Cats’ most consistent all day and was efficient with ball in hand. The 30-year-old collected a game-high 32 possessions along with five marks and five clearances.
“Stokesy’s attitude to the day was first rate" according to Hood.

May have to look harder TC, if Menzel does get a game we may (should) need to drop two from todays AFL side ......................

"Stokes was the Cats’ most consistent all day and was efficient with ball in hand. The 30-year-old collected a game-high 32 possessions along with five marks and five clearances.

Wasn't in our Best 6, though. :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I might be looking a bit too hard to squeeze him in, Cattery. I'd love him to play seniors and make his presence felt immediately- if he comes back too soon, would it be just an average game? Will he run it out? We know how well those planned substitutions go, don't we?

Well I did quote K-Rock!

Wasn't in our Best 6, though. :eek:

To old? ;)

I think I might be looking a bit too hard to squeeze him in, Cattery. I'd love him to play seniors and make his presence felt immediately- if he comes back too soon, would it be just an average game? Will he run it out? We know how well those planned substitutions go, don't we?

Yep would be a risk but we'll have to roll the dice sooner or later, at home against Brisbane seems a good option first up, but it's a decision I'm glad the MC have to make and not me.

Having Yoda'd that Teriyakicat it must be very tempting to throw him in next week (maybe a sub) against the Lions.

Making him sub would be cruel and not sure it would be the smartest way of having control over his comeback game - the kid would be nervous enough no need to further delay his return by making him sit on the bench, plus if he starts (and baring injury to any player) we have the option of controlling his game time and subbing him out at an appropriate time.

Making him sub would be cruel and not sure it would be the smartest way of having control over his comeback game - the kid would be nervous enough no need to further delay his return by making him sit on the bench, plus if he starts (and baring injury to any player) we have the option of controlling his game time and subbing him out at an appropriate time.
Yes I have modified my thoughts on that a few posts later. I reckon wait until after the Dawks as they would try to smash him, Sydney same,and maybe not ready next week.

Yes I have modified my thoughts on that a few posts later. I reckon wait until after the Dawks as they would try to smash him, Sydney same,and maybe not ready next week.

We have an awkward run home in trying to find a "safe" game for him to return in - Brisbane at Simonds seems to be an opportunity to ease him back but potentially too early; Swans at Simonds and Hawks at the MCG will be tough, very physical matches and a very big leap up from the standard in the VFL ; then we have the Saints but it's at Etihad and that is a questionable surface. So do we wait until end 22 against the Pies at the MCG or Crows at Simonds in the last?

I hope we pick him to play this year, just be interesting to see if, when and how we handle his return to AFL footy.

Lewis in the scrums, Hodge with his coat-hangers and Mitchell with his knees.

And Biggy with his pistol and Itchy with his flees.

We have an awkward run home in trying to find a "safe" game for him to return in - Brisbane at Simonds seems to be an opportunity to ease him back but potentially too early; Swans at Simonds and Hawks at the MCG will be tough, very physical matches and a very big leap up from the standard in the VFL ; then we have the Saints but it's at Etihad and that is a questionable surface. So do we wait until end 22 against the Pies at the MCG or Crows at Simonds in the last?

I hope we pick him to play this year, just be interesting to see if, when and how we handle his return to AFL footy.
As Cattery said above a tough call for the MC. Perhaps it won't be this year, but then why wait? It's gonna go or it's not. Crows game to kick the winning goal after the siren to get us in the finals will do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back