MRP / Trib. Vlastuin off the ball Punch - Result one match suspension

Remove this Banner Ad

So why are Richmond fans so upset that the game was not stopped and have been wanting to lynch the umpire for not stopping the game? you guys should be wanting to lynch your doctor for putting your player at risk.

For a start I wouldn’t want to be harshly judging a person whose focus was clearly on tending a very unwell player with 60,000 people screaming and a football game buzzing around him. He made an error, he signalled to the umpire to try to get the game stopped rather than making the stretcher signal. It is just an error, that I have no doubt the club will review and learn from.

But forget Richmond fans being upset at the umpires for not stopping the game. Almost all commentary at the time and subsequently was that the umpires should have “used common sense” and stopped the game. Which they should have. Not so much for the fairness in terms of match result. Just to assist with the care of a clearly stricken player, and to take some pressure off the medical staff. Do you not think the umpires should have stopped the game until Prestia had been cleared from the ground?

Last edited:
Yes, clearly my definition is different to yours.

My definition is restricted to the ACTION. Yours seems to include the resultant effect.

To me, a king-hit is someone punching/or throwing an elbow at someone's head while they're not looking.
Your definition seems to be saying that's okay as long as the victim isn't seriously injured. It's all good if they're not REALLY hurt, right?
Where did I say it was ok what Vlastuin did?

King hits generally result in a knock out or a knock down, this hit didn't therefore I don't classify it as a a king hit. It was stupid and has now proven even dumber as it's cost him a week.

Where did I say it was ok what Vlastuin did?

King hits generally result in a knock out or a knock down, this hit didn't therefore I don't classify it as a a king hit. It was stupid and has now proven even dumber as it's cost him a week.

True. You didn't say it was "okay". I apologise. I got that wrong.

You did though say it wasn't a "king hit", based on the result (victim wasn't concussed).
My point being it's the ACTION (punch to the head while victim wasn't looking), not the RESULT that defines a "King hit".

For a start I wouldn’t want to be harshly judging a person whose focus was clearly on tending a very unwell player with 60,000 people screaming and a football game buzzing around him. He made an error, he signalled to the umpire to try to get the game stopped rather than making the stretcher signal. It is just an error, that I have no doubt the club will review and learn from.

But forget Richmond fans being upset at the umpires for not stopping the game. Almost all commentary at the time and subsequently was that the umpires should have “used common sense” and stopped the game. Which they should have. Not so much for the fairness in terms of match result. Just to assist with the care of a clearly stricken player, and to take some pressure off the medical staff. Do you not think the umpires should have stopped the game until Prestia had been cleared from the ground?
So the umpires need to be medical experts now?

The umpire saw that the Richmond doctor did not deem it necessary to stop the game by bringing on the stretcher, so why should he override the decision that the Richmond medical staff had made on a medical matter?

Or are we instructing umpires to stop the game whenever any player is injured now? Go check out a euro soccer game and tell me how that would go down in our game.

It is a very slippery slope.

This isn’t in the same stratosphere as Tom Stewart’s hit that put our best player at the time out of the game.

Vlastuin's punch did not hurt a fly but the boy's club has spoken.

One week.

I will take that for him being a silly bugger.

But if that goes for 1,Stewart's should have been 6.

AFL boy's club.

They do not like Richmond at all.

And Vlastuin's little punch is rated intentional while Stewart's is careless????

Unbelievable and Geelong fans play the victim for Poor Tom.

And take it out on Vlastuin's tickle which would not have done any damage.

Boy's club.

You better win the flag this year Cats because the AFL have gone all in with you.

Last edited:
Richmond have stated they made an error by not calling for the stretcher.

You need any more evidence that Prestia was non compos mentis than what the cameras showed you? If so you would be the only person in the known universe.

The umpires should have stopped the game. It was grossly negligent of them.

Play went over Prestia twice and there were marks taken so they could have stopped the game.

It should not be on the doctors to decide on a stretcher based on the game. Only on the injury. The umpires are in charge of the game.

And they failed.

So the umpires need to be medical experts now?

The umpire saw that the Richmond doctor did not deem it necessary to stop the game by bringing on the stretcher, so why should he override the decision that the Richmond medical staff had made on a medical matter?

Or are we instructing umpires to stop the game whenever any player is injured now? Go check out a euro soccer game and tell me how that would go down in our game.

It is a very slippery slope.

I agree, it is a slippery slope. There are safeguards the AFL can put in place to stop these situations being used cynically. But in these cases where it is very obvious to all that the player is wiped out would you not rather the umpire just stops the game? Anyway, I would prefer that and overwhelmingly most people commenting post mach seemed to be of the same view. And umpires do stop play at times in these situations, they just for some reason saw fit not to in this instance.

The Richmond medical staff made an error. Errors happen. The umpires using common sense would offer a second level of security. While the player’s well being is paramount, it would also take stress off the medical staff and give them time to think clearly if the umps stopped the game. In the 2020 GF Simpson was unfortunately ko’d, and never seems to have been the same since. It took the Cat’s training staff around 20 seconds to call for the stretcher. Within that 20 seconds the umpire stopped play and actively cleared the area around Simpson. The umpire on that occasion acted properly and sensibly imo. And the same should have been done here, and always when it is clear a player is in distress and medical staff under pressure to give the player the care he requires. Even if it requires one of the 3 umpires to monitor the stricken player and medical staff while play continues and make a sensible decision according to what he is seeing.

It just so happened in this situation with Prestia after the Stewart hit, it appeared to work against Richmond on the scoreboard, which is frustrating as a supporter. But I don’t think that is paramount here and on all occasions the umpires should be encouraged to take control of a critical situation and make sensible decisions. Do you not agree with that, or can’t see past your war with Richmond supporters long enough to acknowledge the point?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a lot of whataboutisms from the 'tiger army' :tearsofjoy: in here, can't you guys just accept that coward punching a bloke deserves atleast a week? Stop defending coward punchers
Ok - can you please stop your players knocking out Tigers cold or ending their seasons then?

50% strike rate by your pussies

Stewart on Prestia
Danger on Vlastuin
Hawk pushes Balta into Soldo causing him to miss 18 months

Why do Cats keep injuring Tigers

I think Connor West is ok isn’t he?

Stop trolling

Oh, Vlastuin probably deserves a week by the way..

This isn’t in the same stratosphere as Tom Stewart’s hit that put our best player at the time out of the game.

Vlastuin's punch did not hurt a fly but the boy's club has spoken.

One week.

I will take that for him being a silly bugger.

But if that goes for 1,Stewart's should have been 6.

AFL boy's club.

They do not like Richmond at all.

And Vlastuin's little punch is rated intentional while Stewart's is careless????

Unbelievable and Geelong fans play the victim for Poor Tom.

And take it out on Vlastuin's tickle which would not have done any damage.

Boy's club.

You better win the flag this year Cats because the AFL have gone all in with you.

Still don't understand the rationale behind careless and intentional eh? It has been explained so many times, this seems like wilful ignorance.

Richmond player, of course its a suspension. In a round where there were multiple other fines for striking instead.

At what point do they just put it in the rules that Richmond players get a 50% increase to the penalty. At least that way they don't have to spend energy pretending thats not the rule.

Richmond player, of course its a suspension. In a round where there were multiple other fines for striking instead.

At what point do they just put it in the rules that Richmond players get a 50% increase to the penalty. At least that way they don't have to spend energy pretending thats not the rule.
Can't be coward punching other blokes in the head off the ball. Concussion is a serious worry in the game at the moment - anyone would've got the same penalty.

Look at you Geelong flogs go. Hilarious...

Very stupid by Vlastuin. Not sure why he's throwing his arms around like that, tried to hit him in the chest looks like he hit him in the neck. Probably deserves the week.

"Throwing his arms around". No, it was a punch.

Not arguing the verdict by the way - agree it was worth 1 or 2. Just a bit staggered by the tigers narrative that it was not much more than a tickle.

first there was the deliberate elbow on Luke Parker's head, now this.... Vlastuin is clearly a recidivist dog!!!!

I struggled to see it that clearly on my phone tbh. Looked like a forearm to the neck to me.

Yes, it might have been a forearm to the neck or head. Agree it's hard to tell one way or the other from that single camera angle.

Just hate the deliberate-ness of it, when the ball is nowhere near. Infact, play hadn't resumed from an earlier free-kick. Just WHACK, out of nowhere on an unsuspecting player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back