Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - ISAAC KEELER!

Remove this Banner Ad

Asked the Crow board their thoughts on why Keeler wasn't nomm'ed. Seems he is a talent but not really competitive. thankfully no behavioral problems.

Someone over there was saying hopefully he will go back in two years. Well if he doesn't work under RTB, he will be back home in 6 months.
Move him in with Goddard.

Good to be positive until a pre season or 2 under his belt ,but we all remember Spencer White and his highlights package.
Not wrong. Im a bit worried the Poo blows out and turns into another Hugh Goddard. Got a bit of growing to do yet the lad.

Good to be positive until a pre season or 2 under his belt ,but we all remember Spencer White and his highlights package.
How was Spencer White rated before the draft? I really can't remember but we used a pretty high pick to get him around 25 from memory. Keeler was seen as a first round pick a year ago and some still saw him as that now and we used 44 on him.

Its not really because they could have got him the pick before us anyway. IF they wanted him.
Yep so they probably would have used a pick in the 60s to match a bid. Obviously they decided they didn't want him but I don't get why you wouldn't just list a bloke with his talent to see if he can make it and back in your system, it's just really strange use of their academy and suggests it's pretty poor as others have alluded to.

How was Spencer White rated before the draft? I really can't remember but we used a pretty high pick to get him around 25 from memory. Keeler was seen as a first round pick a year ago and some still saw him as that now and we used 44 on him.

He was always a risky pick.
Yes he was 25.
Interestingly there weren't many good players taken after him and before our next pick ( Brody Murdoch ). James Stewart the exception.
Mason Wood and Tim Membrey went in the 40s.

There are other issues, but they have nothing to do with the player Keeler is, or any off field issues. The problem is squarely with Adelaide and their NGA setup. Keeler basically changed schools so he could learn and play at a SANFL club because he was getting nothing from the Adelaide NGA.

That coupled with what Adelaide wanted in the draft and their picks made them decide on others. Keeler also made it known he wanted to go interstate and was basically not interested in Adelaide, Port didn't seem to come into it. There are things in the background that we don't know about but you can read between the lines with the attitude of both parties to each other.

In saying that I would say Keeler is a boom/bust risk but as a third rounder one well worth taking.
Ross will give him a cuddle and all will be good :)

compared to lance Franklin

and one more article for good measure

and one more article for good measure

Spencer White just didn't seem to have the drive to be a professional athlete.
If this game moved schools in Year 12 for better footy opportunity, i would think he has.
Potential to be a huge win for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, but that was way overhyped. The original references was that his playing style was like Buddy's, and not that he would be the next Buddy.

Over excited fans being what they then started running with that he will be the next Buddy. That is not at all what the experts were saying.

Yes, but that was way overhyped. The original references was that his playing style was like Buddy's, and not that he would be the next Buddy.

Over excited fans being what they then started running with that he will be the next Buddy. That is not at all what the experts were saying.

Spencer had a couple of highlights where he kicked a couple of Buddy like goals on the run. He got some hype from them.

He couldn't quite sustain the levels of interest or discipline to make it unfortunately. Players who give up everything to be top players sacrifice a lot of the normal life of a young person. I can see why some don't make it. I wouldn't want it.

Spencer White just didn't seem to have the drive to be a professional athlete.
If this game moved schools in Year 12 for better footy opportunity, i would think he has.
Potential to be a huge win for us.
Pretty sure Spencer White had a few mental health issue's from what I remember

AFL is not for everyone , we forget when these boys are drafted they really are just young boys/kids

If it's right that Adelaide didn't bother to nominate him because they thought he would go in the first round then that is a massive error on their part.

We've been crying out for some draft luck and between the two NGA lads last year and now Pillipou and Keeler it might just be the change of fortunes we've been after.
That luck is set to continue in a couple of years with father sons Boston Everett and Elwood Peckett.

That luck is set to continue in a couple of years with father sons Boston Everett and Elwood Peckett.
Frikkin' Elwood and Ace lol

Bloody love Frankie Peckett, he's a dude I still wish was around the club.

I'll be praying Elwood Peckett makes it and is a gun and we manage to draft another Jake to be his partner.

Edit: A 6 Yr old Frankie Peckett article

Last edited:
His 20m sprint time was 3.019 which is pretty quick I think?

Asked the Crow board their thoughts on why Keeler wasn't nomm'ed. Seems he is a talent but not really competitive. thankfully no behavioral problems.

Someone over there was saying hopefully he will go back in two years. Well if he doesn't work under RTB, he will be back home in 6 months.
Knowing his father who was talented country footballer with multiple mail medals. I don’t think you will have any behavioural issues with Isaac.

His 20m sprint time was 3.019 which is pretty quick I think?
Certainly quick for someone his size. A lot of indigenous kids also seem to run faster when there’s a footy involved than they do in say a 20m or 100m sprint on a track, and he’s another one that looks like he “should” be able to run a faster time than that.

This was posted on the Crows board a couple of days ago, from the radio I think:

“Brenton Phillips just said his laconic nature might have turned some clubs off.
He also said he loves the kid, has a beautiful nature and he really enjoys his company. Has been tracking him since he was 15 and has improved every single year, they also said paddy ryder was laconic when he was young and that the penny eventually drops for those type of kids once they realise whats required at the next level. He said once the penny drops he's going to become "very very damaging".

Certainly quick for someone his size. A lot of indigenous kids also seem to run faster when there’s a footy involved than they do in say a 20m or 100m sprint on a track, and he’s another one that looks like he “should” be able to run a faster time than that.

This was posted on the Crows board a couple of days ago, from the radio I think:

“Brenton Phillips just said his laconic nature might have turned some clubs off.
He also said he loves the kid, has a beautiful nature and he really enjoys his company. Has been tracking him since he was 15 and has improved every single year, they also said paddy ryder was laconic when he was young and that the penny eventually drops for those type of kids once they realise whats required at the next level. He said once the penny drops he's going to become "very very damaging".

He's one I latched on to early just because his highlight reel looked so insanely good that you couldn't stop drooling- he was one of the first from this draft to have decent highlights. Same with Munkara. If he meets his potential he could be an absolute superstar. The skills and style are up there with the really high end players of the comp. If the discipline and environment aren't too much for him he could be one of the best pick ups we've had in 20 years.

Hopefully Nas and him bond and want to stay together if they are related. It would be a massive help for a couple of homesick kids a long way from home. They are 2 of the more skilled players we've had for years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back