Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - ISAAC KEELER!

Remove this Banner Ad

He's one I latched on to early just because his highlight reel looked so insanely good that you couldn't stop drooling- he was one of the first from this draft to have decent highlights. Same with Munkara. If he meets his potential he could be an absolute superstar. The skills and style are up there with the really high end players of the comp. If the discipline and environment aren't too much for him he could be one of the best pick ups we've had in 20 years.

Hopefully Nas and him bond and want to stay together if they are related. It would be a massive help for a couple of homesick kids a long way from home. They are 2 of the more skilled players we've had for years.

Nas was “liking” Isaac’s instagram posts before the Saints drafted him

His presence should certainly help both of them settle in Melbourne.

Ironically, if the Crows had’ve taken their own academy kid it may have helped them to snare our #7 down the track

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ironically, if the Crows had’ve taken their own academy kid it may have helped them to snare our #7 down the track

They were training together during the off season as well.

I'm thinking the best comparison for Keeler might be Mabior Chol.

Exceptionally talented, "laconic", the only query being their capacity to survive the rigours of the fully professional environment.

Just like Chol, it might take a couple of years and probably a fair bit of frustration to find out if he can stick with it, but given the minimal draft cost Keeler is well worth the punt.

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

NWM is still a huge flight risk.

If he becomes “THAT GOOD”, club would be better off relocating his family down.

I'm thinking the best comparison for Keeler might be Mabior Chol.

Exceptionally talented, "laconic", the only query being their capacity to survive the rigours of the fully professional environment.

Just like Chol, it might take a couple of years and probably a fair bit of frustration to find out if he can stick with it, but given the minimal draft cost Keeler is well worth the punt.
Nah, 100% it’s Paddy.

Go watch some older Paddy clips. Plays as a CHB/Key forward and then moves into the ruck.

They move the same way. Same direct path through contests etc.

Nah, 100% it’s Paddy.

Go watch some older Paddy clips. Plays as a CHB/Key forward and then moves into the ruck.

Yeah nah.

Ryder was Pick 5 in the 2005 draft and was selected for the first 5 rounds of the following year. Ended up with 9 games in his first year, then 21 the following year. So from the beginning, not only was there was no doubt about Paddy's talent but more importantly, there was none about his capacity to actually play at an AFL level.

Same can't be said about Keeler (or Chol when he started) and thats why Chol's a better comparison. Its not about talent its about application.

Nah, 100% it’s Paddy.

Their games might be similar but sprinting past midfielders was never in Paddy’s game.

Trying to work out how this guy was picked so late. Was the production just not there? Head scratcher.

Their games might be similar but sprinting past midfielders was never in Paddy’s game.

Trying to work out how this guy was picked so late. Was the production just not there? Head scratcher.
I suspect its just application.

I get the feeling that's its just been so easy for him, so he's been in cruise mode throughout his junior footy and that's affected the way the recruiters have looked at him. Was certainly my feeling and that's why I thought he'd slide. And maybe once the recruiters started looking at him that way, they moved on to other players.

Look at these highlights from 2021 - it looks like he's been down the beach for a 3 hr surf before the game and is now just having a lazy kick with some mates in the afternoon.

The positive thing for us is that Keeler's 2022 highlights seem to show a heap more application and determination.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched that highlight package again, holy sheeeiit. That moment 20 seconds in where he beelines it and just takes the footy and he's about 20 metres away before the bloke that had it even knows what's going on.

It's hard not to be excited about this kid. If he reaches anywhere near his potential the Crows may have just had their Petracca moment.

I suspect its just application.

I get the feeling that's its just been so easy for him, so he's been in cruise mode throughout his junior footy and that's affected the way the recruiters have looked at him. Was certainly my feeling and that's why I thought he'd slide. And maybe once the recruiters started looking at him that way, they moved on to other players.

Look at these highlights from 2021 - it looks like he's been down the beach for a 3 hr surf before the game and is now just having a lazy kick with some mates in the afternoon.

The positive thing for us is that Keeler's 2022 highlights seem to show a heap more application and determination.

To be fair to him, it looks like it's too easy. His skill level is insane. I'm so excited for him. Really hope he can put in the work, because it looks like as long as he can do that he will have the other part covered. You can't train for the talent that he's got

Just watched that highlight package again, holy sheeeiit. That moment 20 seconds in where he beelines it and just takes the footy and he's about 20 metres away before the bloke that had it even knows what's going on.

It's hard not to be excited about this kid. If he reaches anywhere near his potential the Crows may have just had their Petracca moment.
Yeah it's crazy, the one Stavro posted was highlights from 1 game where he kicked 5. It is definitely odd that they didn't pick him up. If he comes on anything remotely like his highlight package, would be a fair bit worse that our Petracca moment considering they could have got him for free.

Yeah it's crazy, the one Stavro posted was highlights from 1 game where he kicked 5. It is definitely odd that they didn't pick him up. If he comes on anything remotely like his highlight package, would be a fair bit worse that our Petracca moment considering they could have got him for free.
I think it must be that Adelaide think he won't have the application or dedication.

I don't want to get too excited, but yeah - I'll be happy if he he can develop his marking and ruckwork like Paddy and his forward craft and movement like Buddy

Nah, 100% it’s Paddy.

Paddy reincarnate with more altheticism/agility.
Imagining a Roma / Izzy ruck forward combo for the next 10 years.
Maybe a little early but potential definitely there.

To be fair to him, it looks like it's too easy. His skill level is insane. I'm so excited for him. Really hope he can put in the work, because it looks like as long as he can do that he will have the other part covered. You can't train for the talent that he's got
Overuse and non-contextual use of the word insane on threads including this one of late.

I will tell you what is an insane level of skill in relation to Keeler. Did you know he was also a champion high jumper in high school ?
His carried over his high jump technique to his footy when flying for marks on a lead - often taking the ball at greater than 2.2 metres
from the ground, his body would get into positions and often horizontal to the ground. He often dropped the mark so he reverted
to a more conventional approach to marking contests thereafter.

459ed1e6-8d44-41ee-abb1-f3b5e0da115e.jpg

1) Lack of physical aggression / competitiveness

2) We were only ever taking 2-3 players in the draft and we have far more pressing needs in the midfield and defence than up forward

3) He is not perceived by our club as having a future as an AFL ruckman - purely a forward who can chop out in the ruck

4) Ignoring all of the above, it’s possible that he just wasn’t in the top 50 odd on our overall talent order for the draft. The lack of nomination supports this.

Only time will tell if our recruiters got any of it right.
FYI: a response from the Crows board re my question about why they didn’t take Keeler.

Overuse and non-contextual use of the word insane on threads including this one of late.

I will tell you what is an insane level of skill in relation to Keeler. Did you know he was also a champion high jumper in high school ?
His carried over his high jump technique to his footy when flying for marks on a lead - often taking the ball at greater than 2.2 metres
from the ground, his body would get into positions and often horizontal to the ground. He often dropped the mark so he reverted
to a more conventional approach to marking contests thereafter.

459ed1e6-8d44-41ee-abb1-f3b5e0da115e.jpg

Cutting it mightly close there... lost half the beard on the bar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back