AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Yep, 'miles' ahead :rolleyes:

This year's stats:

View attachment 1688727
When looking at more than the most basic layer of stats Draper does have the upper hand. Although not by that much.

Both pretty poor in ruck specific stats like hit outs to advantage but Draper got the edge.

Williams more clearances

Draper a lot more involved in scoring chains and direct scores himself.

Draper a bigger aerial presence with a lot more contested marks.

When looking at more than the most basic layer of stats Draper does have the upper hand. Although not by that much.

Both pretty poor in ruck specific stats like hit outs to advantage but Draper got the edge.

Williams more clearances

Draper a lot more involved in scoring chains and direct scores himself.

Draper a bigger aerial presence with a lot more contested marks.
Hes not 'miles ahead' as the poster claimed though.

In fact, Williams slightly edges him in the player ratings.

To be fair to the poster though, if you'd looked at the stats 5 weeks ago then Draper actually wouldve been well ahead. Williams has improved massively the past few weeks.

Hes not 'miles ahead' as the poster claimed though.

In fact, Williams slightly edges him in the player ratings.

To be fair to the poster though, if you'd looked at the stats 5 weeks ago then Draper actually wouldve been well ahead. Williams has improved massively the past few weeks.
West Australian teams have a long history of having gun rucks in the AFL. Williams is never going to turn into a gun ruck, he can hold the fort at best. You'll still need to get a better one if one of the kids on your list doesn't develop into a gun to keep up the tradition.

West Australian teams have a long history of having gun rucks in the AFL. Williams is never going to turn into a gun ruck, he can hold the fort at best. You'll still need to get a better one if one of the kids on your list doesn't develop into a gun to keep up the tradition.
Don't think he was ever recruited to be no.1. Simmo stated a few weeks ago that they still see him more as a forward who pinch hits in the ruck, long-term.

I presume this is why we went for Barnett last year, as he's more the main ruck pre-draft. Long way to go for him in regards to development though.

Don't think he was ever recruited to be no.1. Simmo stated a few weeks ago that they still see him more as a forward who pinch hits in the ruck, long-term.

I presume this is why we went for Barnett last year, as he's more the main ruck pre-draft. Long way to go for him in regards to development though.
Interesting, I see him more of a ruck only type who has no chance as a forward. His marking and kicking seem to be below par, although he has improved a lot this season to what he was doing last year. I wouldn't be spending anymore capital on rucks atm as you have kid rucks but potentially go after English at the back end of the rebuild as a free agent when you have a lot of cap space.

Interesting, I see him more of a ruck only type who has no chance as a forward. His marking and kicking seem to be below par, although he has improved a lot this season to what he was doing last year. I wouldn't be spending anymore capital on rucks atm as you have kid rucks but potentially go after English at the back end of the rebuild as a free agent when you have a lot of cap space.
Agree on the kicking, definitely needs work. He's finally imposing himself in contests though, which was a knock on him previously. Something to work with there.

Interestingly, English has apparently become a member at one of the top golf clubs in Perth. Make of that what you will. Still young enough that if the young players come on in 4 or so years, that a free agency play for him could help propel the club into a finals push.

Not much point before then though.

Four weeks in a row Gaff has played like crap and a big problem within the team. He's either off a cliff or just doesn't care anymore. I expect he might retire or request to be traded at the end of season.

Four weeks in a row Gaff has played like crap and a big problem within the team. He's either off a cliff or just doesn't care anymore. I expect he might retire or request to be traded at the end of season.
He's been pure shit for a number of years now, just racking up meaningless stats with a negative impact on team results. He's just getting less possessions now and neutrals have finally picked up what fans of WC have been seeing for at least 2 years

He's been pure s**t for a number of years now, just racking up meaningless stats with a negative impact on team results. He's just getting less possessions now and neutrals have finally picked up what fans of WC have been seeing for at least 2 years
As bad as it gets..you still had a flag only a few years back....its 25 years and no flag for my club so if you need to start from scratch and fully rebuild so be it

A couple of other questions they are going to be grappling with will complicate the rebuild;
  • must be big question marks over the coaching position which aren't going to go away.
  • list management needs an overhaul given that the extensions to the old guard's contracts is killing the. I also wonder about some recent drafting decisions, Chesser over Johnson the obvious, but really since the Allan draft it's crickets apart from Ginbey.
  • strength and conditioning with that injury list is questionable.
  • with all of the above and the club's current on field situation every leadership position on and off field should be questioned.

Is anyone going to put their hand up to take over if Simpson moves on?

Pretty thankless job.
Dont think a new coach would be putting their hand up for 2-4 years of bottom 4.

An experienced coach might be slightly more interested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is anyone going to put their hand up to take over if Simpson moves on?

Pretty thankless job.
Dont think a new coach would be putting their hand up for 2-4 years of bottom 4.

An experienced coach might be slightly more interested.

Would have to be Don Pyke you’d think, or hold the course with Simpson. As you say, anyone else would be thrown to the wolves well before they come out of the rebuild (and would be aware of this going in).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

How invested are WC into Curtin, he is looking like top 3 prospect right now.

If they are looking to split pick 1 because of the go home factor with Reid, GWS look like they have the draft hand to do it but they have pick 4 currently which means WC might miss on Curtin. They also would be risking the go home factor.

Reid is worth a ridiculous amount probably more then any club is in the position to pay, imo WC should just select him and back themselves in to keep him.

A couple of other questions they are going to be grappling with will complicate the rebuild;
  • must be big question marks over the coaching position which aren't going to go away.
  • list management needs an overhaul given that the extensions to the old guard's contracts is killing the. I also wonder about some recent drafting decisions, Chesser over Johnson the obvious, but really since the Allan draft it's crickets apart from Ginbey.
  • strength and conditioning with that injury list is questionable.
  • with all of the above and the club's current on field situation every leadership position on and off field should be questioned.
Not sure what you’re watching but our recent drafting has been a highlight.

Ginbey, Long, Hough and Bazzo have all shown they belong at the level. Chesser and Hewett clearly have the talent and hopefully show it in time, Chesser should be given some time to get to speed given his lack of game time the last 4 years.

7 other clubs passed on Johnson after us, not sure he was the miss you are claiming.

WCE a serious chance to trade pick 1 for 3 first rounders and then pillage the early/mid first part of the draft

Let some of the experienced guys go for pittance and then chase hard for some guys who can come in and play straight away. Don't need to be stars but enough to contribute.

There’s so many older players who need to go and another 12 who aren’t good enough….going to be a brutal few years for them
Yeah. I think the WCE fans who think they'll be back competing for finals by 2027 might be a bit naive - though I think a few of those have started to get a sense recently of what's really ahead of them.

I'm not sure there's 8 players on their list who will be best 22 once they've finished the rebuild.

WCE a serious chance to trade pick 1 for 3 first rounders and then pillage the early/mid first part of the draft

Let some of the experienced guys go for pittance and then chase hard for some guys who can come in and play straight away. Don't need to be stars but enough to contribute.

How often do two clubs have probably three R1 picks to offer and at the same time a kid that apparently might be worth the cost?

If HH goes for Band1 comp ... GWS could have a swag that might be extremely tempting . Just like with Cadman ...Reid country kid.. Good chance of him staying

For WC , is it better draft someone like JHF and try to keep him ... trade him if he wants to go. Has North lost much by taking the player?

It will be an interesting trade period

Yeah. I think the WCE fans who think they'll be back competing for finals by 2027 might be a bit naive - though I think a few of those have started to get a sense recently of what's really ahead of them.

I'm not sure there's 8 players on their list who will be best 22 once they've finished the rebuild.

At the moment, West Coast will have had or will have the following picks for the 2022 + 2023 drafts.

2022 - 8,14,21,27 + Pick 1 MSD
2023 - 1,19,33,37 + Pick 1 MSD

Should be more than enough of a building block (even if a few miss) for a finals team in 4 years after more expected high picks in 2024/25, and with a couple of hits from picks outside top 40 over 6 years (Noah Long already looking like one). This is plenty to compliment already established players like Allen, Barrass, Ryan and Duggan, assuming they are still there.

More than anything they just have to bite the bullet on some older players this year. You can basically buy draft picks now so while you might get little for a Darling or McGovern, a little is more than nothing and the freed up capspace is just as valuable

who is buying?

At the moment, West Coast will have had or will have the following picks for the 2022 + 2023 drafts.

2022 - 8,14,21,27 + Pick 1 MSD
2023 - 1,19,33,37 + Pick 1 MSD

Should be more than enough of a building block (even if a few miss) for a finals team in 4 years after more expected high picks in 2024/25, and with a couple of hits from picks outside top 40 over 6 years (Noah Long already looking like one). This is plenty to compliment already established players like Allen, Barrass, Ryan and Duggan, assuming they are still there.
Good picks doesn’t equal guaranteed success. They also often take time to become AFL level players.

Cambell Chesser looks like he won’t contribute to year 3-4 on the list if it ever eventuates.

Harry Barnett going to be years off contributing.

Barrass and Allen are guns. Ryan probably needs a team on top to be particularly valuable and is injury prone
and Duggan is not that good.

Also don’t know how players will react to perpetual smashings and bottom 4 appearances. Might find guys asking for trades which will set things back of course.

Managing salary cap when you’ve got no one to pay can also have flow on effects down the track. Especially if players aren’t fully committed to staying.

Personally, I think a bottom team for 2-3 years after this. Another 2 years working way up from bottom 8. I’d be surprised if finals happen before 2028.

The main thing in your favour is that Reid looks a ‘generational’ talent and would be instant impact or net you a serious hall of picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back