What AFL player have you met?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mick McGuane. I couldn't speak any higher of him.

My brother and I were lucky to meet him and then I saw him three months later and he remembered my name, feel sorry for him that he hasn't coached at the highest level because he wants too.

Mick McGuane - Typical Mick

Anthony Rocca - Looks bigger on TV

Graham Wright. Owned the AFL sports store in Launnie for a while.

I think I caught a glimpse of Banksie walking down the street. Sure looked like him.

Met Hawkins behind the bar a few times in Launnie. **** he must have come down since his AFL days.

Went to a Pies game a while back, waited outside the rooms for Autographs. Rocca kind of ran out a back way haha.

oh yea i forgot about the dudarke brothers, xav and raph, they were taking pictures of themselves and their girlfriend, me and my best friend were like doing some hardcore eye rolling, too bad they didn't notice :D

and i am pretty sure toovey asked me to pay him 50 bucks if he could kick a checkside goal on the footpath behind the goals, and he made it but i was doing my run so i ran off, not 100% sure it was him but looks exactly like his picture at collingwood FC.com , and i am pretty sure i saw jordan lewis at the same oval

Timmy Clarke from Hawthorn.

Danny Southern used to live near me and saw him once in a while and had a chat, nice bloke.

Scotty Turner, ex Richmond Defender.

Bunch of other Richmond Players.

played with Marc Murphy, Beau Dowler and Matthew Laidlaw at Oakliegh. Met a few. Paul Salmon lives around glen waverley real gem of a bloke as does Mark Chaffey but he is a bit full of it. Never met Dale Thomas or Pendlebury as such but most of the Victorian players that got drafted in 05 i played against in TAC. Thomas got about 40 + possies when we played Gippy. :D

"What AFL player have you met?" - too many to even bother wording a response, I don't really understand the fascination for so-called 'celebrity', never have, never will I guess.

Thread title should be changed to something like "How many players mobile numbers do you have / how many players have you lived with / how many players still owe you $$$ from a day at Caulfield races that they have conveniently forgot about / how many players have you babysat (jeez that makes me feel old!!) / how many players would seek you out if they saw you in a club to wrap you up in a bear hug to say G'Day etc. etc.

Of currently listed AFL players, I could reel off probably 30+ that fall into any of the above categories.

Saddest thing is, I would also appear on the list that saw an absolute gun of a junior footballer destined for greater things cruelly taken from us when hit by a train and killed at a level crossing in Mentone many years ago. Matty Alves, we miss you mate.

Celebrity is over-rated. So is this rant.

Went to uni with David Neitz a few years back. The ladies loved him, even though he was an old, balding bloke.

Stood behind Sam Newman in a line at a cafe in Geelong. They were busy and he wasn't served immediately so he swore at the people behind the counter and stormed off.

Saw Matty Lappin in a pub a few years back after the Caulfield places. He was a dribbling mess.:D

Mick McGuane - Typical Mick

Anthony Rocca - Looks bigger on TV

Graham Wright. Owned the AFL sports store in Launnie for a while.

I think I caught a glimpse of Banksie walking down the street. Sure looked like him.

Met Hawkins behind the bar a few times in Launnie. **** he must have come down since his AFL days.

Really? I walked past Rocca at Northland shopping centre one day, and I remember thinking he was enormous.

When I was 9 all the schools in the area had this enormous footy clinic with Danny Frawley, Adrian Fletcher, Sean Simpson and a few others. At the end, Spud got us all together, there would have been about 200 or so kids, and said the first one to put their hand up and answer a question (Who coaches West Coast, I think it was) would get a subscription to Inside Football. Anyway, yours truly won out, and I went off to fill in the form and chatted to Spud for about fifteen minutes or so. Quite a thrill for a young fella.

Really? I walked past Rocca at Northland shopping centre one day, and I remember thinking he was enormous.

When I was 9 all the schools in the area had this enormous footy clinic with Danny Frawley, Adrian Fletcher, Sean Simpson and a few others. At the end, Spud got us all together, there would have been about 200 or so kids, and said the first one to put their hand up and answer a question (Who coaches West Coast, I think it was) would get a subscription to Inside Football. Anyway, yours truly won out, and I went off to fill in the form and chatted to Spud for about fifteen minutes or so. Quite a thrill for a young fella.
You must be a shrimp then.

i saw peter daicos last monday night at the skinny dog in kew, just before the weekly trivia night started. he was blind, lovin it. the barman said he'd been talking bout pants millane for a while. i was putting a couple away quickly in order to gain the goolies to go buy the great man a drink (not my style, especially as he was with a group of guys but was def making an exception), but he left bout 8 before i could...
loved it though...

oh, i also played at the same club as ex-pie damien adkins as a junior...bloke's a complete wank.
and grew up playing cricket with jarryd roughead...used to be a bit cocky and knobbish, but has actually calmed down since being drafted...not a bad bloke, is hero worshipped in leongatha though...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went to a Pies game a while back, waited outside the rooms for Autographs. Rocca kind of ran out a back way haha.
Holland did that last year at the Pies training session in Perth, but was cut off by about 10 girls, including my sister.

Leon Davis his a character, Also met Harry O and Dane Swan at a dinner function they are top blokes. Also when I was a young kid I also met Adam Goodes outside the SCG when I barracked for the swans but hank god I changed to the noble black and white.

Leon Davis his a character, Also met Harry O and Dane Swan at a dinner function they are top blokes. Also when I was a young kid I also met Adam Goodes outside the SCG when I barracked for the swans but hank god I changed to the noble black and white.
So many Pies used to barrack for the Swans.

I used to be like that.

My fav player was Plugger, and I killed myself laughing whenever Tarks got near the ball.:(

Ive met:
  • Mark Mercuri
  • Joe Misiti
  • Matthew Lloyd
  • James Hird
  • Adam Ramanaskuas
  • Buddy Franklin
  • Tim Boyle
  • Tim Clarke
  • Brent Gurrera
  • Paul Salmon
  • Brent Stanton
  • John Barnes
  • Brad Fisher
  • Kade Simpson
  • Brendan Fevola
  • Eddie Betts
  • Marc Murphy
  • Jarrad Waite

Ive met:
  • Mark Mercuri
  • Joe Misiti
  • Matthew Lloyd
  • James Hird
  • Adam Ramanaskuas
  • Buddy Franklin
  • Tim Boyle
  • Tim Clarke
  • Brent Gurrera
  • Paul Salmon
  • Brent Stanton
  • John Barnes
  • Brad Fisher
  • Kade Simpson
  • Brendan Fevola
  • Eddie Betts
  • Marc Murphy
  • Jarrad Waite
Pretty impressive list.

No Pies?

Mark Lee - Richmond ruckman from back in the day. He came to my primary school and he was like a freak cause we were so small.

Most of the 1990's pies went to the Bobby McGees nightclub after either losing to miss the finals or getting knocked straight out, i can't recall... it was early 90's. Bucks was there as a young 'un and got kicked out for throwing ice around the club at his team mates. Was a bit of a tool but he grew up and i love him. Favourite odd moment, my hero, Gavin Brown, came into the toilet while i was taking a leak and stood next to me. I had a little chat to him about the season and wished him the best. He was gracious yet you could tell it hurt him to lose.

I also used to live opposite Robbie Flower at the peak of his fame. Good bloke. Every time my friends came to visit i'd take them over to meet him. He always obliged even though it'd have been a pain. He had a big ass dog that used to look over the fence when standing on its back legs.

Oh yeah, I used to go to Percy's for lunch a fair bit, this was before I even knew who Percy Jones was! Grumpy old man.

i went to the airport last night and i saw marty clarke walking out the carpark, must have been going to pick someone up

didnt say anything to him, looked in a rush and trying to avoid convos

No, he's not. He's scarcely taller than me, and looks a lot more muscular on TV.

Well I never said he was 3 metres tall and 200 kilos. He's only about an inch taller than me as well. But I still think he is a very big man. If you think he's not that's fine. Go Pies!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back