Mega Thread 2014 Drafts complete

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way do St Kilda or Brisbane pick a midfielder at 1 and 2, if that's how it falls.

Yeah, they'd have to think Petracca is going to end up with career stats like Matthews to overlook their forward line deficiencies.

No way do St Kilda or Brisbane pick a midfielder at 1 and 2, if that's how it falls.

Except we're not only struggling up forward, we struggle in the midfield too. Who do we have? Montagna (old), Armitage (inside player), Dunstan (young inside player), Weller (tagger/inside player), Steven (outside runner with average kicking skills)... Who else? Up forward we have Riewoldt (will be gone in 2 years), White (developing forward, could be anything if he keeps developing like he is), Lee (hasn't shown much this season, Bruce (defender/forward with average kicking) and Stanley (finally looks like he'll make it, athletic, good marking ability, great kick from 50m).

As you can see we are struggling in both areas, and Petracca has an ability to push forward and play mid sized, not to mention his great overhead marking ability and size for someone at 6'2.

We could pick him at 1 and take Reece McKenzie at 21 to get our big forward.

Depends how risky the club wants to be.

Except we're not only struggling up forward, we struggle in the midfield too. Who do we have? Montagna (old), Armitage (inside player), Dunstan (young inside player), Weller (tagger/inside player), Steven (outside runner with average kicking skills)... Who else? Up forward we have Riewoldt (will be gone in 2 years), White (developing forward, could be anything if he keeps developing like he is), Lee (hasn't shown much this season, Bruce (defender/forward with average kicking) and Stanley (finally looks like he'll make it, athletic, good marking ability, great kick from 50m).

As you can see we are struggling in both areas, and Petracca has an ability to push forward and play mid sized, not to mention his great overhead marking ability and size for someone at 6'2.

We could pick him at 1 and take Reece McKenzie at 21 to get our big forward.

Depends how risky the club wants to be.

I guess it comes down to this.

This year is the one you want to be taking a top end tall, next year doesn't have one - you'll be able to get a good mid next year (likely better than this years crop) and the extra years development into a top end tall will work nicely with your drafting over the next year or two.

If you've think you've got all the talls in place to be successful (which I think you definitely don't) then go for Petracca.

I guess it comes down to this.

This year is the one you want to be taking a top end tall, next year doesn't have one - you'll be able to get a good mid next year (likely better than this years crop) and the extra years development into a top end tall will work nicely with your drafting over the next year or two.

If you've think you've got all the talls in place to be successful (which I think you definitely don't) then go for Petracca.

Yeh that's exactly right - when you have the chance to get yourself a top-end key position player, you take it. Especially when you are limited in those positions.

St Kilda will get a shot at another quality mid next year, no doubt.

Think Roo's indicated he would like another tall. But feel if we miss on Petracca, would likely take Brayshaw.
Also think we should consider Jarrah as a rookie pick up. Play him in Alice Springs and Darwin games. Will get a few more supports barracking for us and our players are less likely to be mugged/robbed while there.

Interesting about Jurrah, I saw a picture of him - he's actually in ripper shape.

It would be a great story, but not sure I'm quite past how his career with us ended.

I think we'll go best available come draft day to be honest, if it's a tall we rate there then it's a tall.

If Chip leaves I think we have to go tall, especially since whoever the bloke was that was wearing #14 in the middle of the year has taken off and Lynden Dunn is wearing it again.

Interesting about Jurrah, I saw a picture of him - he's actually in ripper shape.

It would be a great story, but not sure I'm quite past how his career with us ended.

I think we'll go best available come draft day to be honest, if it's a tall we rate there then it's a tall.

I heard he kicked 14 this weekend….playing HBF

Brayshaw please. He is a footballer, through and through, and we've been kicking ourselves for years for not just taking the best footballer. I hope the club doesn't get greedy / decide to gamble, again.

And Jurrah is in good shape because he's been in prison. Ffs. I'm all for second chances. But men that beat up women don't deserve 4th chances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And Jurrah is in good shape because he's been in prison. Ffs. I'm all for second chances. But men that beat up women don't deserve 4th chances.

Agreed. Hope he sorts himself out but as much as I loved him as a player and as much as we could do with a player like that he has failed the 'No Dickheads' test.

Brayshaw please. He is a footballer, through and through, and we've been kicking ourselves for years for not just taking the best footballer. I hope the club doesn't get greedy / decide to gamble, again.

Yep, that's what happens when you go to prison.

I was thinking this over the weekend, while I would love Petracca if he is available at our pick Brayshaw looks to be exactly what we need, there has been a lot said in the past about him having great leadership qualities aswell as being a very talented footballer.

I would be disappointed if we didn't get one of these two guys.

I would be disappointed if we didn't get one of these two guys.

If Frawley goes (and we get top band compo, yada yada yada) and we can't work a winning trade with the high picks, I'd take both if they're available (obviously this week's game against GWS pivotal there). We desperately need some ball smarts and nous around the ball, and just as desperately some genuine match-winning talent. Pick up those two and Stretch (ideally with our 3rd round pick) to give us a bit of outside run and carry and that goes a fair way towards addressing some glaring deficincies in our play if we develop them right.

Our second pick will be around the 20, 21 mark most likely - might still be a decent tall / slider available at that point.

If Frawley goes (and we get top band compo, yada yada yada) and we can't work a winning trade with the high picks, I'd take both if they're available (obviously this week's game against GWS pivotal there). We desperately need some ball smarts and nous around the ball, and just as desperately some genuine match-winning talent. Pick up those two and Stretch (ideally with our 3rd round pick) to give us a bit of outside run and carry and that goes a fair way towards addressing some glaring deficincies in our play if we develop them right.

Our second pick will be around the 20, 21 mark most likely - might still be a decent tall / slider available at that point.
Unless we can get a Shiel type, I find the idea of using 3 top 25 picks very tempting.

3, 4 and 21 would be awesome if we recruited well (?)

Unless we can get a Shiel type, I find the idea of using 3 top 25 picks very tempting.

3, 4 and 21 would be awesome if we recruited well (?)

Yep, if we can work a trade for him or a Treloar, Devon Smith, etc, all for it. Give them #3 or #4, grab their compo pick #20 and maybe have an O'Rourke or Jaksch thrown in. Has to be proven quality though - we can't afford to burn more picks or lose big at the trade table.

I'm really curious to see what Roos does in the upcoming trade / draft, and given his obvious displeasure at the state of our list and performances of the players, I feel like we're wasting our time trying to predict what the club will do, who we want and so forth. Could F/S Stretch, promote Jetta and say King for our 3 draft picks, and then package off the rest of our picks to someone like GWS for a gaggle of their young guns (ie Shiel, Tomlinson, O'Rourke?) who in turn might shovel off some high picks for someone like Dangerfield? Unlikely I guess, but I'm getting my hopes up for a fair old shake down of the club.

Yep, if we can work a trade for him or a Treloar, Devon Smith, etc, all for it. Give them #3 or #4, grab their compo pick #20 and maybe have an O'Rourke or Jaksch thrown in. Has to be proven quality though - we can't afford to burn more picks or lose big at the trade table.

I'm really curious to see what Roos does in the upcoming trade / draft, and given his obvious displeasure at the state of our list and performances of the players, I feel like we're wasting our time trying to predict what the club will do, who we want and so forth. Could F/S Stretch, promote Jetta and say King for our 3 draft picks, and then package off the rest of our picks to someone like GWS for a gaggle of their young guns (ie Shiel, Tomlinson, O'Rourke?) who in turn might shovel off some high picks for someone like Dangerfield? Unlikely I guess, but I'm getting my hopes up for a fair old shake down of the club.
I just look at the Bulldogs and see what a strong development culture can do.

Look how farking good Stringer, Hunter, Libba and Macrae are.

I reckon we'll finish 16th, because GWS have no intention of missing out on Petracca to add to their laughable list of top 3 picks.

Provided the order goes:

McCartin
Petracca

I see the chance at some ready made kids very tempting.

I don't have much interest in Wright, myself. 202cm is a very tricky thing to get around, because you risk throwing him around.

If St Kilda pick up Wright, then McCartin at 193cm would be a perfect CHF to play in front of Hoges.

Presuming Chip leaves, we could go with Brayshaw/McCartin, Brayshaw/Pickett or Brayshaw/Durdin.

All the talk around Brayshaw's size and leadership have swung me back around. He may have less talent than a few others, but if he can play now and is excellent all the same then we should go for it.

Isn't that what the internets is for?

I just look at the Bulldogs and see what a strong development culture can do.

Look how farking good Stringer, Hunter, Libba and Macrae are.

I reckon we'll finish 16th, because GWS have no intention of missing out on Petracca to add to their laughable list of top 3 picks.

Provided the order goes:

McCartin
Petracca

I see the chance at some ready made kids very tempting.

I don't have much interest in Wright, myself. 202cm is a very tricky thing to get around, because you risk throwing him around.

If St Kilda pick up Wright, then McCartin at 193cm would be a perfect CHF to play in front of Hoges.

Presuming Chip leaves, we could go with Brayshaw/McCartin, Brayshaw/Pickett or Brayshaw/Durdin.

All the talk around Brayshaw's size and leadership have swung me back around. He may have less talent than a few others, but if he can play now and is excellent all the same then we should go for it.

Even if we do get beaten by GWS, I can see them and St Kilda working a deal to swap their first picks. All depends how badly GWS want Petracca - I'd take #3 or #4 and a fringe tall for #1 if I was St Kilda. I agree the risk with the really tall players, but McCartin or Wright and Jaksch / Tomlinson... worth consideration at the very least.

Brayshaw and McCartin sound appealing to me. I'd love to not need Dawes in a year or two.

Even if we do get beaten by GWS, I can see them and St Kilda working a deal to swap their first picks. All depends how badly GWS want Petracca - I'd take #3 or #4 and a fringe tall for #1 if I was St Kilda. I agree the risk with the really tall players, but McCartin or Wright and Jaksch / Tomlinson... worth consideration at the very least.

Brayshaw and McCartin sound appealing to me. I'd love to not need Dawes in a year or two.
A deal for pick 1 between GWS and Saints comes down to how the Saints rate McCartin and Wright, if they see McCartin as having a higher ceiling and we have picks 2 and 3 then they would have to assume we will take McCartin and Brayshaw leaving them with Wright.

They could play hard ball with GWS to see how keen they are to get Petracca.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back