Who comes in if (as suspected) Pontings finger is broken? And who bats at 3?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hasn't David Hussey got like 500 odd runs at 50 this season, certainly wasn't under any pressure from tramlet like others are.

probably need a bit of steel in the top order knowing hughes is out of form, clarke is out of form, Smith is very young and haddin needs an adult to bat with him or else he goes out swinging.

Just under 400 runs at around 43. Hasn't set the world on fire, or looked that solid this season.

Has to be Clarke at three. He'll be the captain and will want to take the extra responsibility.

Khawaja seems to have dropped off a bit which will hurt his chances. Another 50 for Marsh today won't hurt. I still think David Hussey as a short-term measure would strengthen the side a lot more than putting one of the younger guys in for the experience.

Can someone please explain what the great Michael Clarke has demonstrated to be a test quality no3...please he is averaging about 10 this series and has one of the worst techniques early. Lets not mention he is averaging 20 runs less at no4, compared to no5. The bloke aint a no3!

For the sake of discussion, let's assume he's broken his finger and is out for the rest of the series.

A) Who comes in? Khawaja, Ferguson, or they could even bring in Marsh and move Hughes down the order to give him a shot there. If they do go that way, I'd be loathe to move Hussey out of the #5 position. It shouldn't make a difference between #4 and #5, but as Clarke's shown it can make a significant difference.

B) And who do we bat in the crucial #3 position? This decision takes on extra significance given that so far this series, when one of the openers has fallen we've lost at least one, usually two, more wickets very quickly. We need someone who can stand up. Is Clarke the only option? Do we dare play a debutant at #3? Open with Marsh and Hughes and put Watson at #3?

Over to you.
IF ponting is out,,,, I'd move Hussey to 3,,, move hughes to hussies old post/5.
And bring in a steady fresh opener to partner Watson.

People think Khawaja isn't in good form...

Ummm...

He just made 85 odd runs for once dismissed against SA, then blasted 120 in the Ryobi Cup, and although he only made 21 today, he's clearly in very decent form.

If Punter is out, he's got to play.

So you would make not one but THREE changes. Glad you aint a selector. Ponting is out, you bring in a no3, pretty simple concept! Hussey is at best when at no5, and is in form, why the hell move him!
Absolutely, Hughes is a failure @ opening tests, but could bat down the order, he likes to score quickly. it could suit.
Hussey is one of our most accomplished batsmen, inform. the best person to take the pressure. He's not a beginner coming in at a crunch time.
the opening spot has been a failure apart from Watson, bring in one fresh face to the team to open with the inform Watson.

So a little bit of shuffling, But importantly only one new face, batting that is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick Maddinson or Chris Lynn

OR Mark Cosgrove!

How good would it be if the big unit got in! If only to hear the chants the Barmy Army came up with.

Ponting will probably play regardless but would love to see Dave Hussey come in, if it's 1-1 its like the Grand Final... **** youth you just want the best possible and Hussey is in good form and on his home deck.

Absolutely, Hughes is a failure @ opening tests, but could bat down the order, he likes to score quickly. it could suit.
Hussey is one of our most accomplished batsmen, inform. the best person to take the pressure. He's not a beginner coming in at a crunch time.
the opening spot has been a failure apart from Watson, bring in one fresh face to the team to open with the inform Watson.

So a little bit of shuffling, But importantly only one new face, batting that is.

You do not make 3 changes when one person is out. It is pointless and stupid. I would not have picked Hughes, but he needs to be given more than 1 test on a pitch that was doing a bit early on. The other issue is there aint many openers around in form (Maddinson is too young).

You want a no3, you have two options in Sean Marsh and Usman Khawaja.

You don't change the side like a card deck!

You do not make 3 changes when one person is out. It is pointless and stupid. I would not have picked Hughes, but he needs to be given more than 1 test on a pitch that was doing a bit early on. The other issue is there aint many openers around in form (Maddinson is too young).

You want a no3, you have two options in Sean Marsh and Usman Khawaja.

You don't change the side like a card deck!

Exactly.

The only possible replacements are Marsh and Khawaja, anyone else would be too big a gamble.

If punter is to miss the rest of the series, would he be that big of a loss?

Sure he's capt but he is the clear weak link in the batting lineup and his job is to make runs as well as capt, which he just doesn't do, it's all well and good to maybe say he's captained well in this test match due to us being on top but it's his bowlers (mainly johnson/harris) and huss/watson/haddin with the bat that have helped his cause right now

The biggest issue I have with Punter missing matches is that the biggest ******** in world cricket will take over his spot, Pup Clarke

How many times does one have to say this...SEAN MARSH IS NOT AN OPENER!

You want him in the side bat him at 3. I don't want Hughes in the side either but there is not an opener in FC cricket that is smashing the door down, and Maddinson is too raw.

my guess would be white, though usman seems to be the only other stand out.

i seem to recall that white has batted at 3 in odi's in punter's absence, but that is a world away from an ashes test. if the selectors want to factor in his slip fielding they'll probably pick white. just about anyone could make as many runs as punter has this series.
like has been mentioned i don't think this is the worst thing that could happen to the team at the moment... he may have galvanised the troops this match, but it will be able to carry on in the next.

White is a technically flawed batsman, but there appears to be no obvious candidates should Ponting have to be replaced. I did state that Ponting can't really justify his place in the batting lineup, which is true, but I didn't consider the possible ramifications of Michael Clarke captaining. White is tactically astute and could help out there.

The usual suspects (Khawaja, Ferguson, Marsh) have been thrown around, but none of those guys are any more suited to #3 than White (who at least has some experience batting there). We could 'challenge' Clarke and move him to number #3 and have any one of the above at #4. Dave Hussey could be tried, but he'd only be a stopgap - and his form is no more than decent.

Whilst Steve Smith is probably not a #6, dropping him abruptly would hardly do wonders for his morale, especially since he has already outperformed Marcus North. Perhaps it is best to look to the future in his case. That is what occurred during the 1980's, when we placed faith in youth, rather than chopping and changing every Test when one guy made a random good score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back