Opinion Who do you realistically want in the 2022 AFL Draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Stealing from Lore

screen-shot-2022-10-12-at-20-35-39-png.1534691

The AFL draft order has now been set (forgetting about potential pick trades which are possible) so I thought it would be a good time to start a thread to discuss who you realistically want to draft at your club and why?

So when I say realistically I am for instance as a Swans fan not going to say "I really hope we pick up Cadman" as that isn't going to happen as he will be gone a long long long time before the Swans first pick at 14. I only mean players that are likely or possibly going to be around at your picks within the draft.

Also if you need any help for rankings

For the Swans we have picks 14 and 17, which are not great but I am hoping for two of these players.

Mattaes Phillipou - An interesting name and likely going a bit too high for Swans pick 14 but I like the look of him. He is a good size for the Swans rather short midfield and seems to have no trouble finding the ball. I also like how young he is as he was born in December meaning he probably has more scope for improvement within him than some of the older kids in the draft. Him being South Australian helps too as they are more reliable than the Vic Metro kids in terms of not wanting to go home.

Lewis Hayes - Breaking my Vic Metro rule here but the Swans desperately need a really tall defender to take on the 200cm forwards that are appearing these days and whom our current defence really struggles with. He also seems like more of a shut down defender than an intercepting defender which is fine by me as we have plenty of intercepting defenders already. He is another younger player too, so more scope for improvement.

Jedd Busslinger - Another Key Defender though unlike Hayes he seems to get the ball a lot more and attack with it, which goes against what I said above but if he is good at it then he would be more than useful. He is older than Hayes but he seems to be more of a complete package, though I am not sure what he is like in a shut down role.

Henry Hustwaite - A good size and Swans really do need bigger mids. I am not sure if he can play in the centre but it would be really useful if he could. Twomey mentions he is a good kick and this really appeals to me as the Swans have really targetted good kicks in the last 5 or so years and I would really like to draft another good kick to the team, especially if he is a tall midfielder. Main concern though is he doesn't seem to be a prolific ball winner, though it isnt at dangerously low levels or anything.

I would only want one of either Hayes or Busslinger, not both, but I would really like 2 of these 4. I think all of them would fill a need at the Swans.

So who would you want to realistically draft at your club and why?

Pick 4 - Wardlaw or Sheezel. If neither, Jhye Clark.
Pick 22 - Brayden George if we don't get Sheezel. Keeler otherwise.
Alwyn Davey bid match
Anthony Munkara bid match
Jayden Davey - rookie draft

Jhye clark at 7 (hopefully the hawks agreed in the stephens deal to let him through)
Best available kpd at 58 (ethan phillips maybe)
Clohesy gets through the ND so we can cat b him.
reckon we'll grab him at 4.
Mahoney hinted for the first time today about 4-12 being even. So i'm guessing we don't have Tsatas in that Wardlaw-Sheezel-Cadman group

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 6:
Sheezel
Tsatas
Mackenzie
Clark

Pick 24:
George
Burgiel
Gruzewski
Konstanty
Allan
D'Aloia
Darcy Jones
Clarke

The Thirds:
Binns
Noah Long
Teal
Shuback
Kobe Ryan
Magor
Munkara
Lemmey
Drury
Taj Campbell-Farell
I think Allan at 24 being son of the hawk Ben would be a really good story.

A key forward & a key backman & a bog-bodied mid-fielder with our picks 16, 25 & 27. Right now I have not scrutinised all of the AFL National Draft nominees but in terms of key forwards, Cadman (who may well go at Number 1), Jefferson, Keeler, Barnett & perhaps Lemmey, would all be considered by the Pies depending upon availability. I will get back to later in relation to key defenders & mid-fielders. Goodnight & good luck.

Phillipou but he went last until our pick.

Weddle would be great - then a forward/mid prospect at 21. Small forward who can crumb as well would be handy. KPD later works be nice too

Pick 7-clark or busslinger
If both are gone id trade back with melb/wbd/gws/syd for 2 teens picks (or say 1 13-20 plus a 2023 r1) to pick someone like hollands or george or hotton or weddle or burgiel or cowan-guys i like who are not worth a top 10 pick.

Pick 58-if we havent taken busslinger best avail kpd. Problem is most will go in the 2nd round. Id take hayes or weddle in the unlikely event they are still here. Ditto barnett even though hes a ruck as i think he is super versatile.
Assuming all the above are gone-ethan phillips.

Rookie picks (3) talls is what we need given we are light for kpds and a lot of our rucks and forwards are over 30. In the unlikely event they get through main draft keeler or lemmey would be my 1 and 2. I know people have gone off jackson broadbent but im a fan and his colts final was very good. Verall and northam are also talls that i think have scope at afl level as well as van es.
Might take mckenna through the SSP or look at a small defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back