Opinion Confess - Who did you want in the first round in previous drafts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Off the top of my head Fisher McAsey, Oscar Clavarino, Ned McHenry

There's a difference between the dream picks and the potentially realistic choices:

Dream picks:
2015 - Curnow / Hopper
2016 - N/A, didn't pay any attention
2017 - N/A, didn't pay any attention
2018 - Smith / Lukocius
2019 - Anderson
2020 - Campbell
2021 - Callaghan
2022 - Sheezel

Realistic picks:
2015 - Burton, I was happy for us to take the gamble given our ladder position
2016 - N/A, we didn't have any decent picks
2017 - N/A, we didn't have any decent picks
2018 - N/A, we didn't have any decent picks
2019 - Kemp
2020 - DGB / Hollands
2021 - Ward
2022 - Mackenzie / Phillipou

Last edited:
Anyone but jhye clark

I was pissed off when we took Nick Vlastuin over Brody Grundy, but it absolutely paid off with Vlastuin becoming a critical piece in the premiership back 6.

This year I really wanted one of the SA tall forwards available late in the draft, and still think we should have nabbed one.

Wanted Talia. Got Butcher, Moore and just after Pittard.

You'd think if we had our current crop recruiting that year we'd be quite different.

Butcher I still think wasn't handled correctly.

2022, wanted Brayden George with our first pick.

The fact that he ended up going @26 shows how much I know 🤣

Nicnat over Watts, but we would have ruined his career too back then.

Great thread just some that stick out.
Selwood got Boak
Rich got Hartlett
Mayes got Wines
Rankine got Rozee
Kossie Pickett but we stuffed that by trading 12 for 14 as part of the Howard trade I think we thought kossie would get through.
Was really keen on Butcher, and Sinn.

2006 : Selwood (got Leuenberger)
2007 : Can't remember.. Callan Ward may be as I was after that inside-mid ball winning player (Got Henderson)
2008 : Ziebell or Swift (thought rich won't be there, got Rich ! )
2009 : Bartlett (got Bartlett as our first pick ! but didn't work out)
2010 : Heppell (got Polec)
2011 : Tomlinson and Greene (got Longer and Docherty)
2012 : Stringer or Wines (both were gone and got Mayes)
2013 : Scharenberg or Freeman (got Aish)
2014 : didn't care as we traded for Beams (Collingwood got DeGoey)
2015 : Schache, Hipwood (got both)
2016 : McCluggage or Ainsworth (got McCluggage)
2017 : didn't care as we got Cameron (Adelaide got Fogarty)
2018 : Duursma (got Ely Smith)
2019 : Dylan Williams (got Dev Robertson)
2021 : Wilmot, Johnson or Goater (got Wilmot and Lohmann)
2022 : Ashcroft, Fletcher (got both)

EDIT: 2017 updated

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will do the ones I remember.

2008 - Wanted Michael Hurley, but the Bombers picked him at 5. Thought we would have went Daniel Rich as he slid but took Yarran instead, who I was pretty excited about too.
2013 - Actually wanted Matty Crouch, but we took Cripps which has worked out OK.
2017 - Wanted Cerra at pick 3 if Rayner was off the board, from memory it was a pretty even top 4-5?
2018 - Wanted to trade pick 1 and try and get pick 2 and another top pick, thank **** we snagged Walsh.

2017 - wanted absolutely nothing to do with Brayshaw - Stephenson, LDU or Fogarty
2019 - wanted absolutely nothing to do with Serong - Stephens, Young and Kemp
2020 - wanted absolutely nothing to do with Chapman - O'Driscoll, Henry or some magical fairy to help get McDonald

Incredibly, my 5 minute youtube analysis doesnt stack up with the pro's...

One that stands out for me, I remember when Geelong drafted Harry Taylor and I thought, WTF are we doing picking up a mature age defender.. I had high hopes that Egan would be back sooner rather than later. I had wanted the Cats to pick up Scott Selwood.

The irony is we really needed HT given egan never played again. (I suppose we could have taken scooter and then scott thompson at 34 but we definitely needed thompson or taylor as it turns out). And we got scooter anyway although we didnt see the best of him post ankle injuries.

2017 - wanted absolutely nothing to do with Brayshaw - Stephenson, LDU or Fogarty
2019 - wanted absolutely nothing to do with Serong - Stephens, Young and Kemp
2020 - wanted absolutely nothing to do with Chapman - O'Driscoll, Henry or some magical fairy to help get McDonald

Incredibly, my 5 minute youtube analysis doesnt stack up with the pro's...
You mean I can't be an expert in a complex field by simply "doing my research" with Google? My vaccine research is about to take a major blow

I spent most of 2016 offseason moaning that we were going to stuff the pick up by not picking McCluggage.

Proven right.
Nah. Taranto was our guy, not McCluggage.

Also McGrath as a number one pick isn't that bad. McCluggage fanbois are going way OTT with it.

Nah. Taranto was our guy, not McCluggage.

Also McGrath as a number one pick isn't that bad. McCluggage fanbois are going way OTT with it.

McGrath isn't bad and if you picked him up at pick 15 I doubt anyone would ever mention it but he does get a mention as while he is clearly good enough to be in the AFL he does not feel like he has the (and I apologise for the term) X factor that you come to expect from a pick 1. Most pick 1's, even if they fail, you see their point of difference, why they were selected at pick 1, but watching McGrath he always feels like a mid to late first round selection to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back