Opinion Who would you prefer now - Cam Guthrie or Jack Darling?

Who would you prefer now - Cam Guthrie or Jack Darling

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Loving Cam and hes still getting better.
But Kersten at CHF would also be very nice.

Don't usually edit other peoples work, ( who am i to do that?) but this is what id luv to see…

Go Catters

Just something I noticed about Cam at the West Coast game.

Final siren goes - crowd's cheering. Cam, who's standing on the goal line, turns to the crowd, gives a brief smile and a quick wave to the crowd.

Nothing over the top, just a nice, understated acknowledgement. It spoke volumes.

"I applaud Priddis for helping our club get back on the right foot but his time at our club should have been over during the GC and GWS expansion. We should have dangled his leadership skills in front of those clubs who were looking for big hardened bodies. Imagine if we had got a first rounder for him that would have been all time. Imagine if that pick had been Guthrie, we'd be laughing now."

Live from the WCE BF discussion about Priddis.

Tom Hawkins on SEN on Wednesday: "We recruit guys who have character. I think that was a decision they made a few years ago. We don't go for the, you know, player who can do a lot but has issues"

You can say it - a No Dickheads Policy

Playing a shitty practical joke is a world a way from king hitting blokes and "other things" a lot of other blokes have gotten up to.
It's hard to remember sometimes that the stupid stuff we did was often harmless in intent, just seemed inconsequential at the time. As for king hits, harassment, touch ups and generally DGAF behaviour that is what makes a dickhead, not just being dumb.

Didn't two of our young players don balaclavas and try breaking into the house of a recently-recruited young teammate, only to find that the place they broke into was just some random person's? Yeah, no dickheads...

Yep, they did. Don't forget Stokes' slight indiscretion with coke, or Johnson. None of those are particularly heinous, just young guys doing dumb things. Which has always happened, and will always happen at footy clubs. I'd prefer the club didn't tout the holier than thou recruiting policy, as it isn't quite reality and is never going to be.

Yep, they did. Don't forget Stokes' slight indiscretion with coke, or Johnson. None of those are particularly heinous, just young guys doing dumb things. Which has always happened, and will always happen at footy clubs. I'd prefer the club didn't tout the holier than thou recruiting policy, as it isn't quite reality and is never going to be.
... and has a habit of coming back and biting you on the bum

Thread is wrongly titled.

People should not underrate Darling, he is a gun.
And Guthrie also is a gun, I would prefer Guthrie of the two, he will end up pretty elite IMO.

Thread should really be 'would you prefer Smedts or Darling'? That is a whole other conversation.

Thread is wrongly titled.

People should not underrate Darling, he is a gun.
And Guthrie also is a gun, I would prefer Guthrie of the two, he will end up pretty elite IMO.

Thread should really be 'would you prefer Smedts or Darling'? That is a whole other conversation.

But I'm not sure that there is much conversation to be had if the question was Smedts V Darling. Darling (as well as Guthrie) is that far ahead of Smedts on exposed form that it would be near impossible to mount a case for Smedts over Darling.

As for Guthrie - I've long been one of those who thinks that eventually he will (or should) be released as an attacking midfielder, and could well become one of the best in the league. I loved Chris Scotts comments when asked about Guthrie a few weeks ago - his face lit up and said something along the lines of 'let's just say we think we have a beauty there'. Could be something very special IMO.

That's not to say that Darling hasn't shown as much as Guthrie, and in fact has shown more to this stage, but I would still take Guthrie. High level of bias acknowledged :).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As for Guthrie - I've long been one of those who thinks that eventually he will (or should) be released as an attacking midfielder said:
I'm surprised at the current vote to be frank. Guthrie is already a gun player after less than a season and he's better fit for Geelong than Darling imo. Cam's improvement has been astounding and I'd have to agree he could become an elite midfielder if and when Hunt gets his game together as the Cats key tagger.

Watched Darling the last couple of weeks…he's a player!!

Happy with Guthrie though….he looks like he's heading toward being a top drawer midfielder……a very good player already.

Darling is proving to be such an important player for west coast, and is such a lethal weapon. On the other hand, Guthrie is also developing and looks set to be a Geelong star in the near future. The decision between the two players is too close to call, but I agree that it would be great to have taken Darling at pick 15 (instead of smedts) and guthrie at 23. But we all know that in the draft it is always so difficult to pick the absolute best player that you can with your available picks. Still a good decision by Stephen Wells.

"I applaud Priddis for helping our club get back on the right foot but his time at our club should have been over during the GC and GWS expansion. We should have dangled his leadership skills in front of those clubs who were looking for big hardened bodies. Imagine if we had got a first rounder for him that would have been all time. Imagine if that pick had been Guthrie, we'd be laughing now."

Live from the WCE BF discussion about Priddis.
Of course, that is a WC supporter removing Priddis and adding Guthrie to an outfit with Darling it.

Not replacing Darling with Guthrie.

But it is nice to see Guthrie getting some acknowledgement from opposition supporters though. :)

Darling is proving to be such an important player for west coast, and is such a lethal weapon. On the other hand, Guthrie is also developing and looks set to be a Geelong star in the near future. The decision between the two players is too close to call, but I agree that it would be great to have taken Darling at pick 15 (instead of smedts) and guthrie at 23. But we all know that in the draft it is always so difficult to pick the absolute best player that you can with your available picks. Still a good decision by Stephen Wells.

And who's to say that Guthrie wouldn't have been taken prior to pick 23, if we'd taken Darling at 15. The entire order post pick 15 could have been different...

Watching Guthrie on the weekend….happy to have him thank you very much.

Thats not to say that Darling is a very good pick up for West coast. He is, but Guthrie looks outstanding.

Guthrie was very good Saturday night - and just keeps getting better and better

I think a better comparison is with Duncan (who im a big rap for)

I think Guthrie has now gone past Duncan- and is the better player

Guthrie was very good Saturday night - and just keeps getting better and better

I think a better comparison is with Duncan (who im a big rap for)

I think Guthrie has now gone past Duncan- and is the better player
Happily/sadly, I agree. Mitch gets the stats but doesn't influence the game enough IMHO. Guthrie is starting to have a significant influence.

Back