Opinion Who would you prefer now - Cam Guthrie or Jack Darling?

Who would you prefer now - Cam Guthrie or Jack Darling

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Watch the game today did you. ?? Guthrie was all class. Cant say I have ever said that about Maxwell……have you?

Speaking of Maxwell, (not that I want to) did you see his high cheap shot on Cotchin, if it was one of ours it'd be reviewed and we'd get done for 1 or 2 no doubt.

Darling has more runs on the board presently - he has played a lot more senior footy and been very good. But over time I think you will see Guthrie close the gap. He is going to be a gun footy player.

Darling has been the more valuable player IMO to date. Still think Guthrie will finish with the better career though but both very good and obviously very different players

Just remember this whole debate was about who you would prefer in our Geelong team now. Not who is going to be the better player. They are both good players no doubt and that debate could go forever and a day. But the debate who is better in our team now. Must say I am surprised Darling is winning.

Just remember this whole debate was about who you would prefer in our Geelong team now. Not who is going to be the better player. They are both good players no doubt and that debate could go forever and a day. But the debate who is better in our team now. Must say I am surprised Darling is winning.

So am I. I have a strong feeling Chris Scott wouldn't swap Guthrie for anyone on Earth right now. Every time his name is mentioned he breaks into the biggest grin I've seen from him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So am I. I have a strong feeling Chris Scott wouldn't swap Guthrie for anyone on Earth right now. Every time his name is mentioned he breaks into the biggest grin I've seen from him.

Knowing how we see CS every week - no BS, no overstating anything, almost clinical and ruthless in his opinions and descriptions, it really puts his euphoric reactions into perspective. Not like he's painting bright colourful every time he talks…

Go Catters

Knowing how we see CS every week - no BS, no overstating anything, almost clinical and ruthless in his opinions and descriptions, it really puts his euphoric reactions into perspective. Not like he's painting bright colourful every time he talks…

Go Catters

Actually , he is very good at looking like he is not talking BS. Good Politician I think. At time I think he says some real "what the" stuff , but saying like he does means it go through to the keeper. Eg , a real Geelong player the other week is just one of the top I thought was a bit divergent to the norm.

The only reason why I wouldn't have Darling over Guthrie might be the off-field issues if they're still present. That's not a knock on Guthrie, it's just that Darling is very good. He's kicked 5 goals on 5 occasions so far, I couldn't seem Cam managing that yet.

If Guthrie becomes a gun mid, which I would never have guessed he would, he will probably be more valuable than Darling. Of course he is not a gun mid yet - that reputation takes a few years to earn.

But as a back he was earning a good rap - and that was deserved. Now he is in the middle and I thought he may still end up back in the backline as others came thru but I can honestly say he has done so well in the guts in such a short time that the experiment has been an overwhelming success - that I just do not see him being taken form the midfield now. In fact he may stop tagging if he gets any more ball and end up being tagged himself. That maybe a year or two way and is only speculative - but he and this idea does have legs.

But for now he can do what some run with players cannot do - close down or limit an opponent while still getting possies and doing a fair bit with them. Like Ling, these guys are gold.

The only reason why I wouldn't have Darling over Guthrie might be the off-field issues if they're still present. That's not a knock on Guthrie, it's just that Darling is very good. He's kicked 5 goals on 5 occasions so far, I couldn't seem Cam managing that yet.
If he's playing as a backman, it could be slightly tricky to kick a bagful....

If you put him in a forward pocket, you might be surprised at what he could jag. Of course he'd have to have a good block of games there.
As much as I like him, he's not a fifty goal per year player yet, I think. Don't get me wrong, I think he's excellent, it's just that Darling has been outstanding (and earlier than Guthrie).

Back