Education & Reference Why Americanizations Are Correct

Remove this Banner Ad

Good on them, I say. Something I've always admired about the Yanks. Makes me wish Australia had given the British the middle finger.

I admire them for that too.

They fought for their right to party 'Merican style.

They aren't subservient little Commonwealth pussies like Australia, New Zealand and Canada.

They are a bloody patriotic nation too, I was blown away by the number of US flags being flown out the front of houses and shops when I lived there. Even fast food joints like Maccas have the old Stars 'n Stripes blowing in the breeze outside.

They don't just fly their flags on the 4th of July either they fly them all the year round, it's like this is America deal with it or f*** off.

Even after the WTC towers collapsed they didn't shy away, they've built an even bigger and better tower now just to stick it up the terrorists.

They have their faults but their brashness and get s**t done in the face of adversity attitude is admirable, let's face it if it wasn't for the Yanks we'd probably all be speaking German or Japanese now.

Why do I get the feeling that this thread is just one massive troll?
Comes from the pronunciation of the word "vehicular". How do YOU pronounce that? EXACTLY!

And, no, not a massive troll. Americanization of things is mostly right. Especially pointing out the logic behind the date, because I obviously get a lot of Australians complaining at me about it and don't understand why it's done that way.

I admire them for that too.

They fought for their right to party 'Merican style.

They aren't subservient little Commonwealth pussies like Australia, New Zealand and Canada.

They are a bloody patriotic nation too, I was blown away by the number of US flags being flown out the front of houses and shops when I lived there. Even fast food joints like Maccas have the old Stars 'n Stripes blowing in the breeze outside.

They don't just fly their flags on the 4th of July either they fly them all the year round, it's like this is America deal with it or f*** off.

Even after the WTC towers collapsed they didn't shy away, they've built an even bigger and better tower now just to stick it up the terrorists.

They have their faults but their brashness and get s**t done in the face of adversity attitude is admirable, let's face it if it wasn't for the Yanks we'd probably all be speaking German or Japanese now.

Their in-your-face patriotism has it's downsides but overall it's very admirable. I love their overwhelmingly positive attitude.

I believe it was Wil Anderson who said "America is like 'yes we can!' Australia is like 'no we can't' and England is like '* you for even trying'"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alternatively, if you're talking about dates, smallest to largest offers not only continuity of scale but also reference points.

Ie 'it is the 23rd day of the 4th month of the 2014th year.'

That versus 'it is the 2014th year, within the 9th month, on the 21st day'
Matryoshka Doll either way you look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comes from the pronunciation of the word "vehicular". How do YOU pronounce that? EXACTLY!

And, no, not a massive troll. Americanization of things is mostly right. Especially pointing out the logic behind the date, because I obviously get a lot of Australians complaining at me about it and don't understand why it's done that way.

But surely the term "vehicular" is post "vehicle."

I often get people questioning or making fun of it, but I always have good examples to prove why it's the correct way. So let's see how many opinions/beliefs I can convert online.

I have hundreds of examples/ways of explaining why, but for brevity will mention just a few.

American Time
3/31/2014 or the more formal 2014/3/31

It's the correct way because when someone stops you on the street and asks what time it is, you do not say, "it's 45 (seconds) and 23 (minutes) past 8 (hours)." Maybe some do say, "it's 23 past 8." But more correctly, people say "it's 8:23."

As in, no matter the real world method of organizing columns and lists, you always hold the slower moving number first, and go down from there. So YEAR then MONTH then DAY is the proper way. Colloquially, that is MONTH then DAY.

Plenty of other real world examples involving time. Like stop-watch result: 4:24 (4 seconds, 24 hundredths of a second.) Not the smaller, faster moving number first, then the larger one.

When you write lists and point forms in spreadsheets etc, you organize them as...

etc

You always hold the slower/bigger number first, and the smaller/faster moving numbers come after.

Plenty of examples out there.

Date+Format+Comparison.png

:rolleyes:

Their in-your-face patriotism has it's downsides but overall it's very admirable. I love their overwhelmingly positive attitude.

I believe it was Wil Anderson who said "America is like 'yes we can!' Australia is like 'no we can't' and England is like '**** you for even trying'"

I was working in San Diego in a shitty auto parts delivery job, didn't pay that well but it kept me going while I was travelling there and I was working under the table so couldn't really go for any big wig type jobs with companies that might do a background check, not that they really give a s**t about a few Aussies working illegally there when they have a shitload of Mexicans working illegally to deal with.

So many opportunities there and in LA, the minimum wage jobs might be worse but there's potential to get a great job with big dollars if you happen to be in the right place at the right time meeting the right people. Big tv and film opportunities there, pr0n opportunities if you get desperate.

There's opportunities there that you will never get in Australia, they don't call America the Land of Opportunity for nothing.

Also

Those criticizing Imperial system, don't see you complain about the measurement of time which is similarly messy.

60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour, 24 hours in a day, 365 days in a year, a year made up of 12 months, which all have varying amounts of days in them.

Don't hear no complaints about how hard it is to remember or the nonsensical figures involved. Measurement of time entirely made up and subjective. At one time there were only 10 months and before then 50 days in a month. Etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back