Education & Reference Why Americanizations Are Correct

Remove this Banner Ad

s**t video. Although I laughed at the guy who did the accent, said "Oops no that sounds like Austin Powers, let me try again" and proceeded to do the exact same accent.

I lot of Americans thought I was English when I was there as they expect Australians to all sound like Crocodile Dundee or Steve Irwin.

Too late, you already did.
Too late, you already did.

There is much care actually.

Btw....

It's a game of inches, not centimeters
Miles works better than kilometers in songs etc
Everyone still goes by imperial measurement like "he's 6 foot tall"
There are a lot of famous/meaningful concepts......american dream, american witch, american made, etc.

There is much care actually.

Btw....

It's a game of inches, not centimeters
Miles works better than kilometers in songs etc
Everyone still goes by imperial measurement like "he's 6 foot tall"
There are a lot of famous/meaningful concepts......american dream, american witch, american made, etc.
American witch???

WTF is that supposed to mean?

I see the lights of Hay
Shouldn't be more than 40 k's
My tank's on empty but I don't slow down
Whatever goes wrong goes wrong anyhow

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly the point!
They don't do that with "Australian" because there's very little cultural depth and breadth.
The only one I can think of is Australian Crawl.
Who? o_O

Sorry, I know this thread was never anything deep and meaningful, but you've completely lost me now.

Exactly the point!
They don't do that with "Australian" because there's very little cultural depth and breadth.
The only one I can think of is Australian Crawl.
Advance Australia Fair
I Still Call Australia Home
I Am Australian
Australia

And here you go, amazing what you can find when you actually looking at things objectively.

http://australiabysong.com.au/australia/

Advance Australia Fair
I Still Call Australia Home
I Am Australian
Australia

And here you go, amazing what you can find when you actually looking at things objectively.

http://australiabysong.com.au/australia/

They're songs.

I'm referring more to terms, sayings, phrases, that have a cultural meaning.

The American Dream, for instance.

Who? o_O

Sorry, I know this thread was never anything deep and meaningful, but you've completely lost me now.

'They' meaning people in general. Writers, etc.

They're songs.

I'm referring more to terms, sayings, phrases, that have a cultural meaning.

The American Dream, for instance.

'They' meaning people in general. Writers, etc.
So, like the Australian Deam then.

And you still haven't told me when American Witch became a cultural phrase, nor all the other random words you just stuck "American" in front of.

So, like the Australian Deam then.

And you still haven't told me when American Witch became a cultural phrase, nor all the other random words you just stuck "American" in front of.
There's no "australian dream." Just an "american dream."

Forget "american witch" in the examples given, but there are many others.

"The American Dream" is barely alive over there. I have travelled the US fairly extensively over two separate trips and you don't find many people still clutching to that as a goal in life. Much like our "lucky country" tag of years gone by.

Last edited:
I couldn't possibly imagine why a country of 300 million people, with the biggest economy and military in the world for the best part of a century, has had more cultural impact on the world than Australia.
So you're basically agreeing then, belatedly, that America and Americanizations are correct and the best and most influential.

FWIW I'm currently reading the Fatal Shore and I'm finding it very irritating that a book about Australia's history is using such American spelling. Even the u in words like neighbour have not been used. Terrible.

Forget "american witch" in the examples given, but there are many others.
OK, so there are many, apart from all the ones you just randomly made up.

Australian Sandwich
Australian Golf Club
Australian Toothbrush
Australian Potpourri
Australian Rice Cracker

This is easy!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back