Why the white jumper on the MCG?

Should we wear the white jumper so often?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

its a white jumper with a hawk on it. We are the Hawthorn Hawks, our colours are brown and gold and that is our clash/away jumper. Although no clash we were the away team, i dont see the big deal.

Also collingwood are a pack of flogs the way they carry on regarding this issue. If all teams are required to have one then they should have one. All this holier than thou chest beating only confirms them as the biggest pack of GF choking donkeys ever.

It's a disgraceful jumper. As context, I also despise every other Hawthorn clash jumper, particularly the camouflage horror. (Don't mind the heritage strip with the V neck. Also prefer Freo's new purple equivalent.)

As others have said, the jumpers should only exist in case of clashes. However, if articles in The Age are to be believed, the AFL is insisting on Away jumpers. It's bullshit. There was no need for a Carlton vs Hawthorn clash strip, and there never will be.

The teams that require clash strips are also the ones who seem unwilling to change. Essendon's new grey strip is a monstrosity — just reverse the colours. Collingwood's so-called black on white versus white on black is a half-arsed compromise. Gold Coast's uniforms should be scrapped, just a disgusting excuse for a team uniform, designed by committee and approved by morons. GWS colours are strange, at best.

(And Caroline Wilson's article today is a barely disguised attempt to justify why her beloved Tigers shouldn't have to have a clash strip. She is not my favourite columnist.)

If all the other teams wear their primary home uniform when we play them "away", then the only potential clash I could see is West Coast (and given we played them in a Grand Final in our normal uniforms, even that clash is a stretch). In that game, our clash uniform should be the heritage with the yoke, white shorts, and yellow socks. It's pretty simple, and this image confirms that these clash jumpers are for nothing more than marketing, not the viewers, or people at the game. The top image is the home team, and underneath is what we should wear.

Jumpers.jpg

It is BS that's what it is...
Brown and gold stripes looks nothing like dark blue all over with a white stupid c in the middle..
The Afl just want everyone to know that it wasn't a hawks game, but big deal who gives a rats if both are Melbourne based teams then both should wear their standard jumpers.
Yet when we play the tigers as the away team we wear our normal home strip, even regular socks. Now if there was a team we remotely clashed with it them, I dont mind wearing it interstate but not on the hallowed turf. Also great to see the bombers spitting chips on the grey abomination, including grey shorts, it will make the saints even harder to distinguish. Afl are all over the place with this, bulldogs v Brisbane in the fitzroy strip, hello???

If all the other teams wear their primary home uniform when we play them "away", then the only potential clash I could see is West Coast (and given we played them in a Grand Final in our normal uniforms, even that clash is a stretch). In that game, our clash uniform should be the heritage with the yoke, white shorts, and yellow socks. It's pretty simple, and this image confirms that these clash jumpers are for nothing more than marketing, not the viewers, or people at the game. The top image is the home team, and underneath is what we should wear.

Jumpers.jpg
Well done Mappa, top post above. Please someone organise a petition and send the above to the club. Btw if we play west coast they can change there jumper since they've been around for 2 minutes not us.

Well said to everyone who identified the white jumper as an amateurish, cheap try hard monstrosity. I love our jumper and our colours.

Are people upset we wore white, or upset clashes between certain clubs don't seem to require an alternate strip? Or the afl's seeming contempt for our club?

Honestly, I'd support us no matter what we wore
The players running out are still representing hawthorn

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was thinking about this too. Watching the game and I must admit at times it is getting confusing in packs. God knows why hawks have to wear a clash jumper and Carlton simply have to wear white shorts. Makes no sense......as usual when it comes to the AFL

I was thinking about this too. Watching the game and I must admit at times it is getting confusing in packs. God knows why hawks have to wear a clash jumper and Carlton simply have to wear white shorts. Makes no sense......as usual when it comes to the AFL
But Carlton have a white stripe on their sock. That should make all the difference :). The black jackets and grey pants on the goal umpires is a questionable decision too. Bit like making the field umpires wear red when we played the Swans a few years back :confused:

Personally I don't have a problem watching the game tonight, but the way the AFL treats us is pretty rich

Can someone explain why Carlton aren't required to wear their clash strip tonight, on the basis that Hawthorn were last week?

I am continually staggered at the clashes decisions by the afl. Tonight was awful viewing. Whoever oversees it should be moved on.

I am continually staggered at the clashes decisions by the AFL. Tonight was awful viewing.

Agreed; an extraordinary clash of colours now that the AFL has so-called clash jumpers. The personalities in charge and the "heritage" of the Carlton and Collingwood clubs seem to trump common sense and the official existence of "clash" jumpers.

Even with the self-interest of clubs, I'm amazed that teams like Collingwood don't acknowledge they may be putting themselves at a disadvantage on game day. Is it not possible that a couple of errant kicks to a mistakenly identified Carlton player could subtly shift the momentum of a game? I don't believe there is that much between the top 12 or so teams, and a few poorly timed errors can make a huge difference. Of course, Friday night's game was not decided by a few points, so maybe my point is moot.

The AFL's policy may be completely contradictory and poorly implemented. But I would hate to see a situation where a Hawthorn game is lost by a confused mistake due to an AFL-enforced "clash".

I love seeing a sea of gold when we play the the G.
If we all went out and bought the white lumper, it would be a sea of white. No good. It would just look like more Pies/Cats/North supporters.
That is my main beef - it just does not look like hawthorn.
Why cannot the jumper be gold.
Could a photoshop wiz please whip up the current clash but with gold instead if white - I think it would look magnificent.

This is what I would like to see in 2012 (hence the Adidas Template!)

Can I start by saying I don't think there should be ANY clash jumper, (and I don't think Hawthorn Clash with any Team) but if the AFL insist then...

HOME
d4S63.jpg

To be worn at all times, except when the AFL thinks we clash then based on if the team we clash with then...

CLASH LIGHT
7uqUN.jpg

To be worn instead of our current white jumper, Keeping the stripes on the front and losing them on the back to make a bigger difference, Gold Shorts so there is no white involved.

CLASH DARK
tMM6x.jpg

To be worn if we need to be the darker team, Just a inverse of the Clash Light Jumper,

I believe this way we keep some unity and just use our main two colours (Brown & Gold!)

Arrrrggg!!! How many times must I correct you errant posters? Its GOLD, Not yellow, there is no yellow at Hawthorn!!!

btw I like your designs...except for the yellow bit.

I'll send Doug around for a visit to the next person who gets this wrong !

Back