Winners/losers of the 2014 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel sorry for anyone in the St.Kilda system, Stanley clearly has talent and at only 23 will get a great chance to fulfill his potential at the Cattery. The Saints couldnt develop Opium in Colombia! Petreacca is destined to be a spud.

They are not known for their opium in Columbia, Cocaine on the other had is the export drug of choice.

Perhaps you could use an analogy that is more in line with: There is more of chance for St. Kilda to win a premiership than the current government has of growing a social conscience.

People keep saying that but if you don't go forwards in the league you've gone backwards.

You go to the shop looking for apples & mandarins, the produce manager tells you that they don't have any apples or mandarins, but they have got a big shipment of potato's. You thank him for the advice, but if you don't have any apples & mandarins, you walk out the of the store.

What would you have done ?.

My observation for this season is that the WA teams have done a good job at retaining their player's, whilst especially players at Vic clubs, they've played musical chairs. Swapping places, is that efficient trading ?.

Surely North are the winners. It's not everyday you pick up a young superstar like Waite.

well_done_sir.gif

You go to the shop looking for apples & mandarins, the produce manager tells you that they don't have any apples or mandarins, but they have got a big shipment of potato's. You thank him for the advice, but if you don't have any apples & mandarins, you walk out the of the store.

What would you have done ?.

My observation for this season is that the WA teams have done a good job at retaining their player's, whilst especially players at Vic clubs, they've played musical chairs. Swapping places, is that efficient trading ?.
Agree with the last point...it seems that so many players upped and moved this trade period that people expect any club not getting in on the action is missing out on something. Freo and West Coast didn't gain anyone but also didn't lose anyone. They obviously felt they would be better served by the draft than trading in another club's cast offs (given that the couple of guns that did not move clubs were not prepared to move west).

I'd argue we were better off not trading for Wellingham two years ago.

It depends on what you can get. No point picking up the discards from other teams if they don't suit your team's needs. A quick look at the lists of all the AFL clubs tends to show that most of the key players were picked up from the draft.
Got it in one.
Wellers could be a super star player, but like a lot of 2010 heroes, seemed happy with one flag.

Likes his off field fun a bit too much to be serious on field. And when your earning the coin he does, he should be more committed.

Re the for the sake of it call, As others have said in other threads, not much point having a gun mid field if you have no forwards or defence.

Think north have gambled big time Waite and Higgins have never lived up to there potential now all of a sudden they will and also lose greenwood think it will backfire.

Hawks smashed it again frawley who is slightly overrated but being at the hawks will help his deficiencies. Get O'Rourke for hallahan who was a good vfl player but question marks over if he can make the grade.

Biggest winner Liam Pickering again getting a client to leave for monster dollars and filling his pockets. And Tom Boyd 19years old and 7mil richer after 6 poor games

Agree with the last point...it seems that so many players upped and moved this trade period that people expect any club not getting in on the action is missing out on something. Freo and West Coast didn't gain anyone but also didn't lose anyone. They obviously felt they would be better served by the draft than trading in another club's cast offs (given that the couple of guns that did not move clubs were not prepared to move west).
You missed out in the sense that you really only get two chances to improve your list each year: the draft and the trade period.

The way I've seen this trade period though is that lots of teams lost what they gained. North lost greenwood, got Higgins and Waite. Collingwood lost beams and Harry, got draft picks and Varcoe.

Geelong made a shift towards key position players - which was something they needed to do, although losing Christensen was an unplanned negative.

Ryder is a great pickup on face value, but having given up their first 2 selections in this years draft for him I'd only be classing this trade period a win for Port Adelaide if by some miracle he doesn't spend the 2015 season sitting in the stands serving a ban.
Plus Monfries. ....

Aside: On Melbourne, it's hard to work out. Sure, we filled two of our needs, with HL off half back and Jeffy as a goal sneak. Hell, one of them was effectively a free hit (since Clark was either retired or playing elsewhere). But we't an AA full back. And we couldn't coax in a quality mid using 3.

I'm torn. I think if we go Brayshaw/Lever or Brayshaw/Petracca I'll be happy. It's more about getting preseasons into particular players though - Viney, Toumpas, Salem. The former two haven't had a preseason and the latter, while skilled, still looks tiny next to AFL footballers.

Oh, and re-signing Nath Jones.

Hopefully Jesse Hogan can get on the park for the Demons next year. Losing Clark for Lumumba and adding Hogan to the forward line is a positive outcome for the Demons.

You missed out in the sense that you really only get two chances to improve your list each year: the draft and the trade period.

The way I've seen this trade period though is that lots of teams lost what they gained. North lost greenwood, got Higgins and Waite. Collingwood lost beams and Harry, got draft picks and Varcoe.

Geelong made a shift towards key position players - which was something they needed to do, although losing Christensen was an unplanned negative.
Pick 21 for a contracted player with issues or nothing like Robinson?

Selling high sounds good to me.

Will Brisbane's culture and leaders set Bundy straight?

Not sure. Cats took their offer without playing hardball.

They'll promote another mid such as Lang or Jansen for Christensen. Pick ten could get them a bigger and better modern day tall mid.

I'm going to label our trade period as a failure.

I believe we targeted some solid players but our 3-10 start to the season scared them off. It wasn't until late August that we somewhat redeemed ourselves by finding a seemingly impossible way to make finals.

On-field failures lead to trading failures if your strategy is bold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are you so in love with Freo? Couldn't you apply the same rationale to your second team (WC) in that they failed for not luring a quality mid?

wce are my second team now?

the difference between freo and wce, is i think wce want to move more youth into the midfield, they have the depth there. wce suporters can correct me if i am wrong, but i think the clubs wants players like sheed, yeo and even turnbridge to spend more time in the center.

i dont see the same strategy for freo relating to their KPD stocks, especially when Ross prefers to pick up mature ready made talent and when they have highlighted in the past that they were chasing a big fish via FA or trade. they also do not have young KPD players coming through, tanner smith probably the best bet but you will need more than him:
McPharlin (32/33)
Johnson (29/30)
Dawson (28/29)
Silvagni (27/28)
Smith (yet to debut)

i would have liked to see them land one mature ready made KPD

so because no one was traded to your club it means there were no viable options that could have been pursued/dragged over the line?
What I am saying the only good key defender that would of improved Freo was Frawley. Freo was linked with average footballers like Schoenmakers who would not of improved the team.

What I am saying the only good key defender that would of improved Freo was Frawley. Freo was linked with average footballers like Schoenmakers who would not of improved the team.

mate if all clubs took that approach then you wouldnt have dawson right now. we rookied what was universally seen as "hack" and at best "average defender" and now he's one of your best 22 defenders. sometimes you need to take a chance

likewise, us with delaney. many saw him at best a VFL defender. this year he was one of the better defenders who rarely lost a one on one contest, even with non-existant pressure up the ground

Remove this Banner Ad

Back