Women who date a-hole blokes

Remove this Banner Ad

GG btw that story I just posted there- around that time I also lost my job! (No fault of my own, just contract not being renewed). So ****ing hell, that time the end of 2006 was a ****ing lousy time for me.

And I had just moved out of my parents house too, lol.
When it rains it pours. But it was good for you...adversity makes you stronger ;)

There's no such thing as "a serious relationship". It's just someone you've decided to settle on.

Nah disagree. Or at least what you are settling on is different in both cases. You can't tell me that what you look for on a Friday night out is the same as the criteria for the mother of your kids / lifelong partner etc.

Well, no, they don't all bail. Divorce rate is around half. And I doubt that half leave for insignificant reasons.

You guys are so cynical! Are you single? Or just only experienced or seen bad relationships?

The half divorce rate is for all marriages (including people on their third or fourth marriage). I heard it's much lower for couples in their first marriage.

Mad-Dog-1.jpg

tumblr_mkbavt918m1risj2so1_250.gif

our relationships with other humans are the most important things in life IMO. I strongly disagree with the cynicism ITT. If you disagree with the societal pressure to get married and settle down then that's one thing, but to dismiss everything as meaningless just because of your skewed perspective of the world is just close minded.
Agree with this. It's very Disney but your friends and family are the biggest things in your life: they're what you work for and they're the things you sacrifice for. The cynical way of looking at it is to put it down to genetics – these emotions is how nature keeps us happy, and, keeps us rooting and having kids.

Although I also agree that the notion of 'true love' is ludicrous, and that we all do really just settle for someone. We find someone at a time when we're looking. That's basically how relationships at all levels form and grow. At 20, the difference between a one nighter and a relationship is (aside from them being ugly), whether you're both looking for something more. At 30, it happens because you're both shopping around.

You can still love that person. You can still have a good time. You're still drawn to that person initially – it's not like you're grimacing like Chris Judd every time you see them. It is still love but it's not this idealised version where you're both 'meant to be' or you're the only ones for one another.

You can have the love you have with your wife/girlfriend with plenty of people. You just happen to have it with them because of timing and circumstance.

In a way, that's almost nicer – you don't have to look and search for ages, every so often you can just get up and that's the day you'll meet someone you like. It could happen any day – not happen on just one day.

Agree with this. It's very Disney but your friends and family are the biggest things in your life: they're what you work for and they're the things you sacrifice for. The cynical way of looking at it is to put it down to genetics – these emotions is how nature keeps us happy, and, keeps us rooting and having kids.

Although I also agree that the notion of 'true love' is ludicrous, and that we all do really just settle for someone. We find someone at a time when we're looking. That's basically how relationships at all levels form and grow. At 20, the difference between a one nighter and a relationship is (aside from them being ugly), whether you're both looking for something more. At 30, it happens because you're both shopping around.

You can still love that person. You can still have a good time. You're still drawn to that person initially – it's not like you're grimacing like Chris Judd every time you see them. It is still love but it's not this idealised version where you're both 'meant to be' or you're the only ones for one another.

You can have the love you have with your wife/girlfriend with plenty of people. You just happen to have it with them because of timing and circumstance.

In a way, that's almost nicer – you don't have to look and search for ages, every so often you can just get up and that's the day you'll meet someone you like. It could happen any day – not happen on just one day.

More drooling crap.

Have you got a time machine?

If not, how in the hell would a kid in his early 20's know about life choices made by people in their 30's?

Have you ever been in love? I would guarantee that as a no.

Ever been married? No again.

Ever even had a long term relationship? No, yet again.

You wouldn't know s**t from really poor quality shineoleum.

More drooling crap.

Have you got a time machine?

If not, how in the hell would a kid in his early 20's know about life choices made by people in their 30's?

Have you ever been in love? I would guarantee that as a no.

Ever been married? No again.

Ever even had a long term relationship? No, yet again.

You wouldn't know s**t from really poor quality shineoleum.
Aren't you like 70? Pretty sure you can get locked up for hassling "kids" on the internet mate.

Yeah, but he's reading it in books and guessing the rest.

At his age he should be reading and learning, not postulating and pontificating.

It's how some people learn though. Take a history course, for example, where the teacher will encourage students to form and defend their own views from day 1 despite a complete lack of experience in the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it's as black and white as that. Relationships and your take on them vary a lot from person to person. I met my wife at around 20.

Yeah I think a successful relationship comes down to your values and understanding a few key principles. Not especially age related. I have a few drinking buddies who are very "experienced" in such matters, but I certainly wouldn't ask them for marriage advice.

Aren't you like 70? Pretty sure you can get locked up for hassling "kids" on the internet mate.

I'm not your mate and I'm merely stating a fact.

How old is he?

A long way short of what our resident wannabe Hemmingway thinks.

It's how some people learn though. Take a history course, for example, where the teacher will encourage students to form and defend their own views from day 1 despite a complete lack of experience in the field.

I don't think that is a valid comparison.

Affairs of the heart are far more complex.

Sorry to hear Shell, but there's a lot worse than that.

My current partner has made some awful decisions in the past.

I have a mate who is seeing a girl who is the same.

A girl from work, jesus, what was she thinking?

My mate and I politely refer to it as "head scratchers".

Obviously we weren't there, but based on the character of the exes that see for ourselves and the stories we hear, it's obvious to any rationale person that at no point was there any happiness and functionality in the relationship, it was like a couple of people bumbling through s**t they think they have to do together, whilst meanwhile, the male in the relationship is out (or in) cheating, boozing, fighting, abusing and intimidating, generally acting like one of those hardcore kids from school that never had to grow up and handle real responsibility and consequence. The females allowed this behaviour to happen with their knowledge, and chose not to do anything about it at the time. Head scratching stuff, and they aren't one offs.

It probably goes the other way, but all my mates, the female exes have been not the right fit, not any real malice and a-hole aspects in the relationship, just didn't work out. Even my mate who at 24 is already divorced whose ex was a habitual cheater, even she wasn't as much as a dropkick as any of these fellas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back