World cup (of basketball) 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

-Saying Australia are scared of the US/competing and that they should have stayed home (via retweet).
-Implicitly having a dig at the guards playing ahead of Exum when he said Australia was wasting the talent they had.

Even Bogut, who is pretty outspoken, wouldn't outwardly say that kind of stuff about his own teammates.

Australia obviously are scared of the US, hence throwing todays game.

He's friends with Exum and wants to see his friend play because he thinks he can contribute, that's not taking a shot at anybody that's supporting a mate.

Australia obviously are scared of the US, hence throwing todays game.

He's friends with Exum and wants to see his friend play because he thinks he can contribute, that's not taking a shot at anybody that's supporting a mate.
I'm not disagreeing with that (although realistic is probably a better word), I'm saying it's inappropriate for a guy who's in line for Boomers selection to be expressing it on Twitter.

I'm not disagreeing with that (although realistic is probably a better word), I'm saying it's inappropriate for a guy who's in line for Boomers selection to be expressing it on Twitter.

It's not inappropriate though, it's expressing an opinion.

Regardless of his status with the Boomers he's allowed to have an opinion.

It's not inappropriate though, it's expressing an opinion.

Regardless of his status with the Boomers he's allowed to have an opinion.
So it's appropriate to tweet anything, as long as it's an opinion? It would be OK for him to tweet "Lemanis is a ****** campaigner and I want to bang Joe Ingles' girlfriend"?

I don't get what the big deal about potentially playing the US in the semis rather than quarter. We're trying to win a medal and the further the team goes through the more money they get funded into the sport.

Ben Simmons shouldn't say s**t like that in public about his future teammates, probably why he wasn't selected as he is still a kid and immature.

Calling the Australian team scared and saying they should have stayed home isn't bashing them?

"It's not bashing, it's a fact." Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

They should have stayed home if they don't have the balls to play the US, they are trying to take the easy way because they are scared.

It's a pathetic, cowardly and gutless mindset.

They should have stayed home if they don't have the balls to play the US, they are trying to take the easy way because they are scared.

As others have said, it improves their chances on going further in the tournament...

They're not 'scared' (how childish), they simply want to get the best result possible.

I am a little uneasy with the concept - and still not sure if I agree with it - but the more I think about it - it was a smart move... and I would never wish upon the Boomers to lose in the playoff rounds, and am 100% behind them to beat Turkey.

The "have to beat anyone" argument doesn't particularly apply because you have to take into account how far ahead of the competition (or us at least) the US are, and that we are very far from being a gold medal chance. This is not like tanking in a league where everyone is on an even keel.
We will not beat the US with this lot, and it is delusional think we are a chance. (Not saying we don't put in 110% effort if/when we face them- because our players always do, and can at least try to be competive... but we have to be realistic about it).
If we finished 2nd - we would, at best, face them in the quarters - lose, and finish in the 5-8 range that we always do... we forget about it, and it's as if we were never really a part of it according to record books - pretty much what always happens for the Boomers.

What this does do, is keep the possibility of a 3rd place finish (something we have never achieved) open. Both Turkey and Lithuania are beatable - and IMO, this result shows more ambition on the part of Lemanjis - that we aren't going to just accept another loss in the quarter finals, but see if we can make the semis, and aim for 3rd place. (It is not lacking ambition to say that a game against the US is one that we will very likely lose - it is realism).

Ben Simmons retweeted the following. Also complained earlier in the tournament about Exum not getting much playing time; something to the effect of 'What's the point of having so much talent if you don't use it.'

Pretty poor form IMO - both from the public comments about this game, and one the comments about Exum.

What Exum hopefully understands (and I reckon he does), and any youngster coming through an international system should realise - is that having "talent" or potential, doesn't make you a great basketballer, or the best option for a team, particularly in a must-win (;)) environment like this. Internationally, young, so-called "stars", often need to take time to learn the ropes - the team set-up is very different, and the games are very different. You should not expect to be able to come in to your first major tournament and be a star, or for the team to suddenly make you a focus of the offence.

Yeah the Exum calls are strange. Frankly, Delly is a more solid option at this point in time. Exum needs to get stronger so he can finish at the rim, struggled doing this this tournament.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben Simmons retweeted the following. Also complained earlier in the tournament about Exum not getting much playing time; something to the effect of 'What's the point of having so much talent if you don't use it.'

Ben Simmons may get drafted by Philadelphia

Simmons needs to STFU, I think he is still a little pissed he copped the axe..

I would have been pissed with the coach if he didn't tank.

Yet he contradicts himself by talking about Exums playing time. Exum isn't good enough to run the team yet, that is not saying he isn't going to be much better than Delly he will but as of right now our best chance to win is through him at PG.

I think it's un Australian to tank because we would have faced a stronger opponent earlier on in a tournament than we would have liked. Weak as piss and Simmonds, I commend for not being a structured and robotic muppet like most other Australian athletes.

I think it's un Australian to tank because we would have faced a stronger opponent earlier on in a tournament than we would have liked. Weak as piss and Simmonds, I commend for not being a structured and robotic muppet like most other Australian athletes.
We'll I look forward to him either coming back to the NBL or smashing the team who will draft him in the NBA when he finishes college as they will be tanking for his services.

But I am sure once he sees those zeros it won't be an issue.

I think you're going OTT there.

If this tournament was a game of chess, there would be none of this talk. Australia effectively sacrificed a piece to advance in the game ... or at least improve their chances of doing so.

Croatia was dead and buried in the 3rd, inexplicably gets back in it in the fourth thanks to Bogdanovic and Tomic. Had a chance to run a decent play with 30 secs left, but Bogda bricks a 3, early in the shot clock and that's that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back