Remove this Banner Ad

Assuming Bogut somehow did get up for it which I doubt

Bogut Baynes
Bairstow Anderson
Ingles Newley
Mills Goulding
Delly Exum

To fill the reserve spots i'm thinking of guys like D Martin Wortho Motum Jawai

I agree with the ten players for the team, I saw Jawaii at the China v Australia game in Perth recently. He is massively out of shape. I wouldnt be surprised if Walker or Nevil got a call up. If its was up to me Id pick Simmons for the experience and if he plays he already possesses fantastic all round skill. Daniel Johnson might also get a guernsey as I think he would do well at international level.

I agree with the ten players for the team, I saw Jawaii at the China v Australia game in Perth recently. He is massively out of shape. I wouldnt be surprised if Walker or Nevil got a call up. If its was up to me Id pick Simmons for the experience and if he plays he already possesses fantastic all round skill. Daniel Johnson might also get a guernsey as I think he would do well at international level.
Yeah to be honest haven't done a lot of research. This is just what felt right. I'm thinking if Bogut is out possibly move Anderson up to C or call up Neville or maybe for something different select guys like Walker and Wortho and play small ball through the tournament. Walker really has improved. Always an athlete. I wish he was this good for Saint Mary's back in the day.

I'll be supporting both Greece and Australia! This tourney deserves way more coverage than it is currently getting! After all, Basketball is arguably the 2nd best sport in the world (Association Football being #1).

Baynes might be hampered by his lack of regular minutes in San Antonio, at least in terms of getting the starting spot. Then again, I'm not sure what minutes the other three were getting for their respective teams.

Don't forget Andersen as another possibility to play (assuming he's not retired from international competition).

Baynes might be hampered by his lack of regular minutes in San Antonio, at least in terms of getting the starting spot. Then again, I'm not sure what minutes the other three were getting for their respective teams.

Don't forget Andersen as another possibility to play (assuming he's not retired from international competition).
i've got Anderson penciled down more for the 4. Our 4 position is where our scoring will come from with natural scorers in Bairstow and Anderson. I'd like the 5 to score but be more an emphasis on rebounding and toughness and very importantly big screens. You can see Baynes and a fit Jawai performing this task to a tee and assisting our jump shooters and pick and roll sets.

Mills has to go in for a clean out on his shoulder im pretty sure, not sure if he will be playing.

Either way, we will be probably THE team to watch at these championships for a few reasons.

Exum's been dubbed the international man of mystery, and apart from some SL games, people will get some more exposure, also to note from Jazz fans, he will probably be playing the 2 spot, so they will get a chance to see how he works in a dual guard system.

Then there's the year 11 kid in Ben Simmons vs the world, the #1 high school basketballer in America and being predicted as one of the most exciting and complete prospects in years. I'm interested to see how many minutes he gets.

I reckon Bairstow will have a big tournament, hasn't got anywhere near the media he should have in Australia since going to the Bulls, really think he could be the best Aussie big man in a number of years with his skillset.

From what I've been reading about Bairstow, the Bulls seem fairly happy to have drafted him, so he may have a better than even chance of making their roster. The Worlds could prove to be a great audition for him.

I reckon Bairstow will have a big tournament, hasn't got anywhere near the media he should have in Australia since going to the Bulls, really think he could be the best Aussie big man in a number of years with his skillset.
He dominated. During some New Mexico game I remember Reggie Miller saying he was the best power forward in college basketball.
If he can add a reliable three point shot he will be very valuable imo. His mid range is already money. It's rare you see anyone improve that drastically over the space of a season.

Assuming Bogut somehow did get up for it which I doubt

Bogut Baynes
Bairstow Anderson
Ingles Newley
Mills Goulding
Delly Exum

To fill the reserve spots i'm thinking of guys like D Martin Wortho Motum Jawai

Simmons not eligible?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketb...h-injury-for-seven-months-20140702-zstap.html
That's a big blow to our chances

So with our two best players out the squad should probably look to the future a bit with Simmons and Exum imo.

Baynes Jawai
Bairstow Anderson Simmons
Ingles Newley Broekhoff
Exum Goulding
Delly Martin

Drmic, Maric, Ogilvy and Motum other names to consider
With Mills out the three ball takes a blow a bit. Not a heck of a lot of great three shooters. Maybe they'll give the likes of Broekhoff, Drmic and Goulding a good look in training camp with an eye to the future. These guys regardless of form have that shooter's mentality.

Last edited:
Simmons has played SF for most of the last season, and has been a big factor in his improvement.

I'd say he will be playing the 3 for Australia in this tournament, especially given his age so hes not bashed up by the big Euro PF's.

Simmons is also an excellent 3pt shooter, hence why I reckon he will get a fair few minutes.

I just remembered that basketball isn't on at the Commonwealth games. But that's okay because of the World Cup/Championships. Will be great experience for the young'uns for this one, the Olympics in 2 years, and then Gold Coast Commonwealth in the same year as the next WC. Canada might give us a run for their money.

Looks pretty good but I'm not sold on Exum starting. Is he ready? I'd probably start Newley at the two.
Less than 12 months ago he (and Simmons) was towards the end of the bench in the series against NZ. Does not much play in between and getting drafted into the NBA push him into a starting spot? I wouldn't have thought so.

I just remembered that basketball isn't on at the Commonwealth games. But that's okay because of the World Cup/Championships. Will be great experience for the young'uns for this one, the Olympics in 2 years, and then Gold Coast Commonwealth in the same year as the next WC. Canada might give us a run for their money.

The next World Cup is actually being pushed back to 2019. So Australia will actually have 3 major tournaments three years in a row. 2018 Commonwealth Games, 2019 FIBA World Cup and 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

As for the upcoming 2014 World Cup, the USA have released a list of 19 names from which their squad will be chosen from.

http://www.usab.com/mens/national/2014_mnt_roster.html

Bradley Beal (WAS), DeMarcus Cousins (SAC), Stephen Curry (GSW), Anthony Davis (NOP), DeMar DeRozen (TOR), Andre Drummond (DET), Kevin Durant (OKC), Kenneth Faried (DEN), Paul George (IND), Blake Griffin (LAC), James Harden (HOU), Gordon Hayward (UTA), Kyrie Irving (CLE), Kyle Korver (ATL), Damien Lillard (POR), Kevin Love (MIN), Derrick Rose (CHI), Chandler Parsons (DAL) and Klay Thompson (GSW)

And here's the Australian Squad

http://www.basketball.net.au/stars-headline-boomers-squad-world-cup-camp/

David Andersen – Strasbourg (France)
Cameron Bairstow – Chicago Bulls (NBA)
Aron Baynes – San Antonio Spurs (NBA)
Angus Brandt – Sydney Kings (NBL)
Ryan Broekhoff – Besiktas (Turkey)
Matthew Dellavedova – Cleveland Cavaliers (NBA)
Dante Exum – Utah Jazz (NBA)
Adam Gibson – Adelaide 36ers (NBL)
Chris Goulding – Melbourne United (NBL)
Joe Ingles – Maccabi Tel-Aviv (Israel)
Nathan Jawai – Galatasaray (Turkey)
Damian Martin – Perth Wildcats (NBL)
Brock Motum – Bologna (Italy)
Brad Newley – Gran Canaria (Spain)
Ben Simmons – Montverde Academy (USA)
Lucas Walker – Melbourne United (NBL)
Mark Worthington – Melbourne United (NBL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back