Zookotas 2015 phantom draft

Remove this Banner Ad

zookota123

Debutant
Oct 25, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Hi guys im pretty new on bigfooty and this is my first thread ever. I will start off by ranking my personal top 10 draft players in order and than my top 19 afl phantom draft based on what the club needs and the best player available for that position. In my top 19 afl phantom draft I will not include any academy players.

Top 10 players in my ranking:

1. Jacob Weitering
2. Aaron Francis
3. Josh Schache
4. Darcy Parish
5.Clayton Oliver
6. Luke Partington
7. Charlie Curnow
8. Ryan Burton
9.Harley Balic
10. Rhys Mathieson

Top 19 phantom draft:

Pick 1 Carlton- Jacob Weitering- Standout number 1 player in this draft, whom oozes absolute class with a penetrating rightfoot kick that can go up to 60m. He can either play in the forward line or backline, but suits more in the backline with his great back pressure, quicks hands to pass to his team mates when needed in the backline, great footy IQ and reads the game extremely well. He is highly needed in carlton's team to rebuild and to get started. Would be an early christmas present for carlton.

Pick 2 Brisbane- Josh Schache- Looks like the type of forward brisbane has been waiting for to replace there old forward great Jonathan Brown. He has a very calm cool and collective nature and you can see it in him when he plays afl, while taking marks, kicking a goal or getting rid of the ball. He knows how to kick numerous amount of goals and you can also see that he has some great speed in him to run away from opposition defenders without any fuss. Brisbane will be licking there lips if he is the forward they have been waiting for.

Pick 3 Melbourne- Aaron Francis- This kid has loads of talent and can play any type of role from back, forward or mid, but his best role from what I've seen is definately in the backline. He has very smooth hands, controlled mindset under pressure, makes the right decisions at the right time, an extremely great mark and has a well precision kick that goes straight to his team mates with ease. Melbourne picked up 2 big body midfielders last year in the top 10 and has just gained ben kennedy from collingwood and jake melksham from essendon whom are 2 outside midfielders. Melbourne also lost Jeremy Howe who played either in the backline or forward line. In this case Melbourne looks like they need a defender at most and Aaron Francis is definately the player for them. He is one of the missing pieces of Melbourne's jigsaw.

Pick 4 Essendon- Darcy Parish- Parish is my favourite midfielder in this draft and is in my opinion the best outside midfielder. He is just a natural footballer that has so much talent and skill for a midfielder of his size and height. His footy IQ is phenominal as he seems to be at the right place at the right time, pretty courageous and tough kid, quick clean hands, loves to get the ball in his possession and has great endurance. To me Parish resembles abit like Daniel Hannerbury who also loves to have the ball in his possession, courageous, quick clean hands , great endurance and a ball getter who uses the ball well.With Essendon getting rid of Melksham and there midfield list ageing abit with the likes of Jobe Watson who will be 31 by Feb, Brent stanton 30 start of next year and Goddard 31 early next year, parish looks to suit there midfield and help out the younger midfield team mates of Heppell, Merrett and Myers. BINGOOOOOO.

Pick 5 Essendon- Rhys Mathieson- With Essendon lacking in some midfield power for the future, I believe that another midfielder is needed and I reckon Mathieson fits in pretty well. He is best mates with Darcy Parish so if they both go to Essendon with picks 4 and 5, they will have an immediate connection and this could possibly help Essendon in the future with there midfield. Later on in the draft with Essendons pick 24 and 25, they could get some underrated talls that are hopefully still up for grabs and im mainly looking at both the Mckay brothers. Now back to Mathieson, he has a great footy IQ as he just knows where the ball is going and gets there just in time. He is as competitive as parish and loves to get the ball in his possession. Great endurance and an excellent tackler that loves a tackle here and there. Only slight issue I have with him is his kicking that goes nowhere at times. Having both Mathieson and Parish at picks 4 and 5 would be great for the team though. Could be the winning gold ticket for Essendon.

Pick 6 Gold Coast- Sam Weideman- A tall big bodied and strong forward who loves to take marks especially being a dominant pack mark and to score goals with his accurate shot of foot. With Charlie Dixon gone to port, they may choose Weideman to help them out in the forward line and gradually build up as a player in the future. Adds light to the golden suns.

Pick 7 Melbourne- Charlie Curnow- An absolute gun who can play either being a tall forward or midfielder, preferably forward line for me. He is big bodied whom is also athletic, has natural talent, can take some massive contested marks, pretty explosive with the ball, great endurance and has a lovely kick towards goal. Melbourne needs someyone in the forward line to help Jesse hogan, as chris dawes is getting older and no use at all. Curnow would help melbournes forward line dramatically if he will be side by side with Jesse hogan, and in the longterm will be a great pick. Is he going to be the one?

Pick 8 Carlton- Clayton Oliver- My oh my Clayton Oliver is something. I rate Darcy Parish ahead of him as a midfielder but by just a tiny whisker. Watching Clayton Oliver play footy is like enjoying your favourite meal. When you see the size of this kid and the engine and pace he has it is just phenominal to watch. He is a very big bodied midfielder, who is so hard to take down with a tackle and the balance he shows to get out of a tackle is awesome. He is also a natural footballer that has a great footy IQ of finding the ball and giving the ball away to his team mates at the right time. He has explosive speed, can get the ball alot, very quick and clean hands, gets most of the ball by himself and not via his teammates. Not only that but he can play forward at times and kick a few goals. In one of his matches in TAC cup for bushrangers, he kicked 6 goals with 27 disposals, 8 marks, 4 tackles. Carlton are just looking for great players who can rebuild there team and a midfielder like Clayton Oliver to help out Cripps in future years would be so great to watch. Ollie Ollie Ollie oi oi oi.

Pick 9 Adelaide- Luke Partington- Luke is a very unnoticed and underrated midfielder, however I rate him highly. He has so much passion for the AFL game and strives to learn more to be the best that he can with his ability. He is a very hardworking player that has the talent to be at the top. His clever with the footy and how he uses it, racks the ball alot, great endurance, good speed, very fast hands. By looking at adelaides side they need a midfielder to help out and why not receive luke parkington back who in my opinion is the best South Australian midfielder this year. Do I smell danger?

Pick 10 Greater Western Sydney- Harley Balic- This kid has talent and can play either as a midfielder, a halfback or as a half forward, showing his skills in either position. He looks very cool calm and collective when playing in either role and has great ball use and clean hands. He makes great decisions for his team and doesnt look like he rushes his gameplay. I think the amount of roles Balic can play and the ability he has with them all would suit GWS. He can join GWS and be an extra young and useful talent.

Pick 11 Carlton- Ryan Burton- Is a freak in the forwardline with his smooth kicking on awesome angles and his use of the ball. He carries some speed for a tall big lad and reminds me of a taller version of Troy menzel. Can he be the replacement for Carlton on menzel?

Pick 12 Richmond- Josh Dunkley- Is a pretty good midfielder who is courageous and shows that he can get the ball and use it well. If it wasnt for his injury first half of the year I reckon Dunkley could have even gone earlier.

Pick 13 Adelaide- Riley Bonner- This kid has the most beautiful left foot kick i've seen in this draft so far. Its so penetrating and accurate aswell as his great ball use and using it well. Think he would be a great addition to Adelaides backline in the future.

Pick 14 St kilda- Darcy Tucker- This kid has some speed on him as a half back. Can burst away from packs and kicks the ball freely away from his opposition smoothly with his beautiful left foot kick. He has great hands, can kick very well, gets the ball away from opposition well, great agility and can read the game well. Him joining st kilda would be great as st kilda needs another fresh half back with dempster,gilbert and fisher getting older.

Pick 15 Hawthorn- Kieran Collins- A key positional defender who is 17 and already has the body made for afl standards. As you can see with his big built, he is very courageous and likes to take some big marks and get the ball away from danger. With Brian Lake retired and Hawthorns backline ageing and crumbling down I believe Kieran Collins would be a must have for the Hawthorn club.

Pick 16 Gold Coast-Callum Ah Chee- Callum is a young and skillful player who takes brilliant speckie marks on top of people in large packs. He has some great speed on him and is dangerous once near the forward line. His ball use is great and his kicking lands to his team mates or in the goal square accurately. I think he could be a great replacement for Harley Bennell.

Pick 17 North Melbourne- Jade Gresham- For a small midfielder, he is as tough as nails and pretty darn competitive aswell. He knows how to get the ball and get rid of it nicely. Finds and uses his space very well and has clean and fast hands. Loves to put his body on the line which I like in players.

Pick 18- Hawthorn- Ryan Clarke- Ryan is a very fast and pacy midfielder that knows when to be at the right place at the right time and uses the ball nicely. He is also rough and likes to get into the ball nice and hard. Loves to tackle and kick a few goals here and there. I think he would fit nicely at Hawthorn.

Pick 19 Carlton- Harry Mckay- Harry would be great for Carlton. His an athletic and big bodied kid who plays either in the ruck or forward. He can take some big juicy marks and likes to create some space and run free at time. Very smooth runner and exciting to watch.

What a great draft for the Baggers would very very happy will that haul.
Great descriptions enjoyed the read , add Slivani's lad to those players and that's an amazing scoop .Go Blues

Good effort. But no Milera?
Hey mate. Yeah I don't rate milera top 20, I think he is very overrated and people just choosing him over his past hype in his latest games, but hey thats just my opinion. I can see him going to West coast or Fremantles with their round pick.

Can't see Crows not taking Burton with their first pick, they need tall forwards.
Absolutely agree with you on Milera, extremely overrated. All of the hype is based on one good SANFL game against Glenelg who are a slow team.

There is no way we will select partington and bonner with our first 2 picks. Milera will definitely go in the first rd perhaps top 10. Think you might have to take off the carlton coloured glasses mate

I thought one of the main knocks on Schache was his lack of pace and ability to get separation?

Can't see Crows not taking Burton with their first pick, they need tall forwards.
Absolutely agree with you on Milera, extremely overrated. All of the hype is based on one good SANFL game against Glenelg who are a slow team.
You may be right mate, but this is just my opinion for now and it can change later on. Maybe I was a little harsh for not really overlooking adelaides forward line, but I'll still be watching videos of most these players and others who could make it that I have not included in my top 20.

There is no way we will select partington and bonner with our first 2 picks. Milera will definitely go in the first rd perhaps top 10. Think you might have to take off the carlton coloured glasses mate
No bias here mate. This is my top 20 completely with my own thoughts and different to other drafts that I see look similiar elsewhere. But I like critical feedback, so I will keep researching what other teams need and more into the players in depth.

I thought one of the main knocks on Schache was his lack of pace and ability to get separation?
From what I see on Josh is that he has great pace on him to make space for himself and run for the ball when its coming his way. See this video and tell me what you think after mate

From what I see on Josh is that he has great pace on him to make space for himself and run for the ball when its coming his way. See this video and tell me what you think after mate

agree zookota. he may not have great testable speed. but he has great footy smarts, knows extremely well when and where to lead to doesn't just rely on his size advantage over under age players and has a great upside as well. i really hope carlton do take weitering (also a great prospect) but we want and need the schac.

No bias here mate. This is my top 20 completely with my own thoughts and different to other drafts that I see look similiar elsewhere. But I like critical feedback, so I will keep researching what other teams need and more into the players in depth.
From an adelaide point of view i think our first pick will be used on either francis, milera, burton, mckay or oliver. Depending on whos left. We will take the best available at 9. Pick 13 might be different in the case of maybe going for a need with collins to sure up our defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From an adelaide point of view i think our first pick will be used on either francis, milera, burton, mckay or oliver. Depending on whos left. We will take the best available at 9. Pick 13 might be different in the case of maybe going for a need with collins to sure up our defence.
Yeah it would be great if Aaron Francis goes to Adelaide, an absolute steal because I believe he is one of the best players in this draft with so much talent. However I just don't see it right now and why other clubs before Adelaides first round pick would ignore him and choose others. I can agree with your other players you listed like Harry Mckay, Ryan Burton and Clayton Oliver though who all could possibly be chosen there especially Harry Mckay who I was thinking at most. Kieran Collins is a beast, but I don't see him going to Adelaide either. I can definitely see Riley Bonner suiting Adelaides backline considering he is also an Adelaide boy, but the kick this kid has can really help the adelaides backline from danger.

You must be on drugs if you think Essendon are going to take Rhys Mathieson at 5. Sorry l see your a Carlton supporter, all makes sense now. Idiot

You must be on drugs if you think Essendon are going to take Rhys Mathieson at 5. Sorry l see your a Carlton supporter, all makes sense now. Idiot

"November 1" - Chill out mate.
This was well before Oliver got hype, and Mathieson drooped down boards.

"November 1" - Chill out mate.
This was well before Oliver got hype, and Mathieson drooped down boards.
Haha thanks mate, I appreciate that. It's funny how everyone jumps on clayton oliver now, his something that kid.

Thanks for the feedback dude. I made this on november the 1st without any bias added and what I think the clubs needed and the best player available for them. I'm not the person that listens to what footy journalists have to say and copy exactly what player they think is going to which club like most people do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back