Favourite Beer

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since when is Corona 'cheap'?

They sell absolute shitloads of them at my work at $9.50 per bottle. Makes me sick.

On the topic of better beer, I shared a longneck of Mountain Goat Coffee IPA (Seedy Goat) at Young and Jacksons last week and really enjoyed it. Was damn pricey at $22.50 but found them at the bottleshop next to the Local Tapouse in St Kilda for $11. It's a very interesting and enjoyable beer, doesn't taste like a typical IPA and the coffee beans used in the brewing process give it an interesting flavour even though it doesn't actually taste like coffee.

Also picked up a smoked beer by Yeastie Boys at that bottleshop, haven't had it yet and not sure what to expect as I've never had a smoked beer before.

Holy crap. Drinking the smoked beer now, it's called Rex Attitude and it's probably the strangest beer I've ever tasted. As soon as I opened the bottle it seemed like I'd just walked past a burning building. The smoke aroma just hits you in the face.

It tastes like you're eating a slightly over BBQed beef and bacon burger while smoking a cigar. I don't know if I find it delicious or disgusting, but I'm so damn intrigued. It's a lot of work to get through and I'm sure the 7% alcohol contributes to that.

After a while it feels like you're eating BBQ shapes while sitting around a campfire. It was pretty pricey at $10 for a 330ml bottle but the experience is wel worth it. Not sure I'd buy it again because you certainly couldn't have more than one or two of these and I'm still not sure if I love it or hate it

For those in Melbourne who enjoy Victorian beers and are around the Northern/Western Suburbs, there's a brand new pub opened on Sydney road serving only Victorian Craft beers called the Woodlands Hotel. Check out the menu here. My favourite is the Arctic Fox Lager or Dos Blockos lager.

Ripper of a venue too.

Tried a couple of beers I'd never previously tried today.

Brewdog Punk IPA - Pretty good. Big flavour, plenty of hops and goes down quite easily for an IPA. IPA isn't my favourite style, but I'm always happy to try a new one. This is one of the better examples I've had.

Vale Dark - I was expecting a different beer to what I tasted with this one. I assumed it was a dark ale, but it's very light in body for a dark beer. Upon further investigation of the label, it's actually an "American Dark Lager". It has the malt/chocolate flavours and aromas one would expect from a dark ale, but much lighter to drink. As someone who loves dark beers but doesn't enjoy them in the heat of summer, I could see this one becoming a favourite of mine over the next few months.

Tried a couple of beers I'd never previously tried today.

Brewdog Punk IPA - Pretty good. Big flavour, plenty of hops and goes down quite easily for an IPA. IPA isn't my favourite style, but I'm always happy to try a new one. This is one of the better examples I've had.

Vale Dark - I was expecting a different beer to what I tasted with this one. I assumed it was a dark ale, but it's very light in body for a dark beer. Upon further investigation of the label, it's actually an "American Dark Lager". It has the malt/chocolate flavours and aromas one would expect from a dark ale, but much lighter to drink. As someone who loves dark beers but doesn't enjoy them in the heat of summer, I could see this one becoming a favourite of mine over the next few months.

What's the ABV%?

Tooheys Old is an ale. I haven't had Speights, but according to beeradvocate it's a dark lager, so I guess it would be more like that. Just buy a bottle and try it :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Speights Brewery in Dunedin does a fantastic value for money tour of the joint.

Can't remember exactly how much, somewhere between 10-20NZD but the first hour or so you walk around the place, last 30 mins you stand in front of the taps and pour your own straight from the source. :thumbsu::eek:

I'm in the same boat, it's decent but I wouldn't go out of my way to look for it specifically. Reason I bought it up is because my mate keeps wanting to get the carton of it, wasn't sure if I was missing something special.

I'm always happy though to see the likes of little creatures etc at pubs opposed to the Carlton/Tooheys/Becks selection.

What are peoples thoughts on Fat Yak?

Fat Yak and White Rabbit Dark Ale were the two beers that made me realise that beer can be more than a vessel for alcohol insertion. The flavours were a revelation to me at first but I think they're both very much 'gateway beers'. Still decent when available amongst nothing but CUB offerings, but not something I seek out anymore.

Fat Yak and White Rabbit Dark Ale were the two beers that made me realise that beer can be more than a vessel for alcohol insertion. The flavours were a revelation to me at first but I think they're both very much 'gateway beers'. Still decent when available amongst nothing but CUB offerings, but not something I seek out anymore.

That sums it up really.

What are peoples thoughts on Fat Yak?

It's a great beer. One of my favourites, mainly because it's the second craft beer I ever discovered (after LCPA), so it carries sentimental value.

One thing I have found though is it seems to be much more variable and not as good overall these days. A couple of years ago it was consistently good, and rivalled LCPA as the best APA in Australia. The times I've had it in the last 12 months though have varied from almost (but not quite) as good as it used to be, to decidedly mediocre. This is from bottle, tap, everything.

Perhaps it depends on what brewery it's been brewed in?

In any case, Matilda Bay's Alpha Pale Ale is a better (though more expensive) version of Fat Yak. If you've ever got the choice between Fat Yak and Alpha, go Alpha (unless you really hate hops!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back