Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 22, 2009
LOL @ Norf
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GeeLOL sucks, so does $hitney
Re: Mike Sheahan agrees, Norf must Relocate or Die

He says he's chosen to ignore the question of the MRP, then waffles on about it for the next few sentences?

I didn't like the article, not sure why but I just don't like the way Sheahan comes across most of the time.

Sad tiresome but unfortunatly relevant.
I hate reading stories like this but the sad sad reality and trust me from a former roys man its bloody sad even heart breaking for those involved but in this day and age its the facts of the league.

Cold hard facts as of today point towards the Kangaroos and Footscray not being here in 2030 but thats today.

In 1996 Hawthorn were on death row and now look at them, the envy of most and well and truly safe from ever merging or folding.

I'm not sure weather North melbourne or Footscray have the same backing in terms of number but things can change amazingly quickly and I am sure North are still hoping that those kids who jumped on during their successful era in the 90's may now finally start becoming paid up members.

Keep fighting the good fight because for the sake of everyone who loves these clubs i hope they live but my head tells me that they may either have to morph into a Hobart for example or god forbid go under.

Were Gold Coast games in 2011 really more exciting than Port games in 2011?

If its going to happen, there not much value sending the Kangas to Tasmania; there are few new dollars there. Best bet is still to take advantage of the Gold Coast `we already have colours of every potential merge club' set up and give them a Victorian support base like the Lions and Swans have.

They should relocate to Tassie, no dramas there.

1-2 sides gotta go and they eventually will, no doubt.

Its a national competition, thats the bottom line.

No longer are all the kids in Vic, no longer are we as a state
such a dominating presence to require we have so many sides.

North, Bullies, catch you later.

If my side had to go for the betterment of the game,
then so be it - football is bigger than any one team.

North are a sitting duck to go, they bring nothing to the table.
And I mean nothing.

You can thank the Tassie Government, Kennett and the Hawks as their Tassie deal goes to 2016 giving the blue and white striped canard a reprieve.

Guess you will have to wait before feeding on the carcass.

Couldnt bother me, but if North were my side Id at least want
them to survive - instead of completely folding.

Tassie is an out, as was GC.

North arent bringing anything to the table, simple.

The next couple of years will tell the story.

Mike Sheahans spot on, Relocate or Die.

Dunno - it's tough. (And my club nearly died in 1990). At what point does a re-location mean your club no longer exists? My best mate was a Fitzroy supporter - now he couldn't care less about the Lions (he's given up on footy completely). We know it happened with some Swans fans.

Collingwood have re-located from Collingwood to East Melbourne - 4-5 ks. That seems OK. The Hawks haven't been back to Hawthorn for about 10 years. St Kilda haven't been in St Kilda for 40 years.

I guess the pont is where you can't go to see your team play without an overnight or airline trip - when the re-location reaches that point, I guess you have the argument whether it is still your team or not.

Ahhh well, them's the breaks.

At least we had the greatest player of all time (according to Mike).

Au revoir everyone.:thumbsu:

North Melbourne in Tassie was always gunna happen had a set back a few years back when The State government signed of on another 5 year deal with the Hawks,Bartlett was not a very popular Man for that deciscion and has since quit,AFL want North In Tasmania Bartlet threw a Spanner in the Works but it's only a matter of time before it happens.!!!!

Heres a piece from the local paper after the Hawthorn 5 year deal became a done deal.!!

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2010/11/27/189231_afl.html

Yawn. As old as Sheahan is, this story is older. Yet the club continues to exist and to do quite nicely, thanks. We just passed an anniversary of saving our club from relocation, and celebrating the fact it is unrecognisable since then - it will take more than the bleating of a few sad sacks to bother us.

North, Bullies, catch you later.

If my side had to go for the betterment of the game,
then so be it - football is bigger than any one team.

Uhh no. If Carlton had to go, it's supporter base would tear the city apart.

FWIW- Bulldogs won't go either. Do some research into key growth corridors. Melbourne's West is too important for the AFL in terms of expanding numbers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure weather North melbourne or Footscray have the same backing in terms of number but things can change amazingly quickly and I am sure North are still hoping that those kids who jumped on during their successful era in the 90's may now finally start becoming paid.

Even after the club's amazing period of success in the 1990's North couldn't attract members. Even after James Brayshaw swept in as president / chairman, promising things would change, nothing has changed.

Even after the club's amazing period of success in the 1990's North couldn't attract members. Even after James Brayshaw swept in as president / chairman, promising things would change, nothing has changed.

Membership has maintained a 26%+ increase since 2007 even though the list has undergone a complete revamp.

We currently have 14,255 members signed up right now (16/12/2011). We had 14, 438 members when we won the premiership in 1996.

We have also knocked $250,000 off our debt before we have even run a single function.

Our membership has increased by approximately 115% in 15 years. A continued trend would see us filling out Docklands on a weekly basis when the ground becomes an AFL owned asset in 2025.

Feel free to toss up a few more historical innacuracies whenever you're ready.

1 billion TV rights will ensure we go no where. If the AFL use 2% to help clubs it really is no big deal. The reason Pies get Anzac day and get to play the most on free to air TV is why we get compensated. Give us 9 Friday nights, Anzac day, home games against the Pies, Ess, Rich, Blues and Hawks and then we will not need any support.

1 billion TV rights will ensure we go no where. If the AFL use 2% to help clubs it really is no big deal. The reason Pies get Anzac day and get to play the most on free to air TV is why we get compensated. Give us 9 Friday nights, Anzac day, home games against the Pies, Ess, Rich, Blues and Hawks and then we will not need any support.

It will also ensure that you'll do whatever the AFL tells you. Hobart is waiting. You don't have the support out in the community. If it weren't for hosting games against Bombers, Pies and Blues you wouldn't have had an attendance over 40,000. No members and no income.

It will also ensure that you'll do whatever the AFL tells you.

$100,000,000 couldn't do it, so I fail to see how $1,000,000,000 divided by 18 would achieve the conspiracy.

The AFL are 100% behind supporting North. They are even looking at buying out the Docklands agreement a decade earlier.

Tin foil hats can be found here:

http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

A few questions -

1. Why does the op hate North Melbourne so much? They are pretty much the most inoffensive club out there, and I always thought Australians liked rooting for the underdog.

2. Why is anyone listening to Mike Sheehan?

3. Do North Melbourne supporters think they will be a Melbourne based team in 10 years time?

Ok, given the fact that Mike is now the oracle on all things AFL, he also states that in a perfect world there would be a twelve team comp.

That being the case, we'll have two teams in SA, WA, NSW and QLD (obviously we need a game in those stats each week). That's 8. North in Tassie makes 9.

That's three spots left. Who's in? Who misses out?

I don't think supporters of the 9 clubs that make up the "BIG 4" will be pleased to read about this news.

- Collingwood are certainties.
- Likewise the Western bulldogs, as I'm reliably informed the "western growth corridor" is essential to expansion.
- Finally, this leaves Melbourne simply because they are the oldest club in the competition.

The rest can go back to the VFL.

Ok, given the fact that Mike is now the oracle on all things AFL, he also states that in a perfect world there would be a twelve team comp.

That being the case, we'll have two teams in SA, WA, NSW and QLD (obviously we need a game in those stats each week). That's 8. North in Tassie makes 9.

North would get binned.

Hawthorn
Essendon
Collingwood
Geelong

The new Big 4 should all be in. They are all clubs who support themselves and prosper. They are the power clubs in Vic with all the money. You couldn't have any debt-ridden basket cases who rely on AFL handouts in a restructured 12 team competition.

Hard to see North surviving. It looks like the worst of the poor economy in Europe will hit Australia next year and the turnaround will take a few years here. A major point Pert raised at the AGM was that their membership dept. has been bracing for a drop off league wide on the back of consumers deciding to go with Foxtel over memberships when they see the benefits of live television in the next few years.

With more teams, there will be even more meaningless games and I'm not sure the television networks will really want 18 locked in clubs by the next rights. That is the only thing saving North right now.

Tassie is an out, as was GC.

North arent bringing anything to the table, simple.

The next couple of years will tell the story.

Mike Sheahans spot on, Relocate or Die.

Well I'm a North member and I'd rather see my side die then seeing a watered down version. It's so easy for others to come on here and have a go at clubs like the Kangas and Dogs... Walk in our shoes for abit and you will see we Love our clubs as much if not more than the bigger more privlidged clubs...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back