One day team in tri-series???

Remove this Banner Ad

For what exactly? To win a couple of meaninless T20I games at the expense of giving a younger spinner some experience not to mention that youngster will probably have made no impact on the result anyway.

Are you questioning Hogg's selection in the T20 squad?

Easily the best performed spinner in the Big Bash and should play a big role in our World Cup campaign.

Why pick a youngster for 'experience' a few months away from a big tournament when the best option is a mature player with two World Cups worth of experience behind him?

Bowling looks suspect. I realize our choices are compromised by injuries and the need to rest the Test players but I can't say I'm filled with a lot of confidence.

Lee. Can he still bowl 10 quality overs at his age? I'll be keeping a close eye on whether he maintains his speed after his first spell.

Harris. He and his dicky knee/hip should be in cotton wool until the West Indies. Maybe a couple of shield games, but not the hurly burly of ODI's.

Starc. No,no,no. Raw talent but with a lot of inconsistency. If its not swinging I can see him really 'going the journey' a few times.

McKay. Decent slower ball but painfully vanilla. I just can't see him being a regular wicket taker.

Doherty. Solid 50-over performer but these days I think an orthodox offie needs some kind of trick ball to prosper.

Batting looks solid if somewhat predictable with the exception of Peter Forrest. I agree with an earlier poster who said this has come from the 'WTF?' file. Looks like he'd be a liability in the field as well.
It was the WTF? Jar :D and C-Mac may be "vanilla", but vanilla is good to balance out the other flavours and he's got an ODI average of 21 with a very good economy rate and in his 15 matches so far for Australia, he's taken 3, 4 or 5 wicket hauls in 7 of the 15 innings, including 5-for 33 in his last match for us. So he certainly can do it. I think he just needs to add a better, more regular fast yorker to his repertoire, to keep them guessing, in amongst all the short-pitched slower balls and all the short-pitched fast balls. It can be too easy to just camp on the back foot against him at times. Hopefully working with Billy McD in the Aussie set-up will really benefit him too, like it has Siddle and Patto in recent times.
And Starc has previously had much better results in domestic one day matches than he did in the longer, first class games and he's shown with his outstanding bowling in the T20's that he's currently bowling extremely well in shorter form cricket. I think he's a safer bet in ODI's than tests, at the moment and he also got a 4-for in his last ODI for Australia. He is a bit of a gamble, though and maybe he will rotate with Harris, as they may not want 3 "all out quicks" (Lee, Harris, Starc) playing in the same games together.
Doherty has done pretty well previously, but I guess it would be good if O'Keefe stepped it up in one day cricket, as he brings his batting to the table. I agree that Harris ought to be used sparingly, though, if at all and it will be interesting to see how Lee goes, but he does look to be bowling well. :thumbsu:

Are you questioning Hogg's selection in the T20 squad?

Easily the best performed spinner in the Big Bash and should play a big role in our World Cup campaign.

Why pick a youngster for 'experience' a few months away from a big tournament when the best option is a mature player with two World Cups worth of experience behind him?

No I'm talking about if the big tournament wasn't a few months away. I have no problem with Hogg being picked for this year.

I agree and for a long time those selecting AFL sides ignored good form in the second tier comps, but in the past couple of years they've finally woken up to the fact that those who are doing really well in those comps may in fact be able to do really well in the AFL too, as evidenced by the likes of J Pod, Michael Barlow, Alex Silvagni and so on.

That's not true. It's a myth that clubs ignored mature players previously. There MIGHT be a bit more of it now due to extra teams and diluted talent but it's always been evident.

For example, the below were drafted West Coast at least 1 year beyond their eligibility for being drafted and/or following a season of state league football.

I believe the below list is accurate - if I have a couple wrong, it doesn't matter.

2000: Kasey Green
2001: Troy Wilson
2003: Aaron Edwards
2004: Brett Jones
2005: Brad Smith
2006: Matt Priddis
2007: Llane Spaanderman
2008: Adam Cockie
2010: Ashton Hams
2010: Andrew Strijk

No I'm talking about if the big tournament wasn't a few months away. I have no problem with Hogg being picked for this year.

Fair enough, I'd agree with you. :thumbsu:

Would you then question the selection of Ponting and Hussey in this ODI team? It's a tough one, I reckon.

Fair enough, I'd agree with you. :thumbsu:

Would you then question the selection of Ponting and Hussey in this ODI team? It's a tough one, I reckon.

As Inverarity said it's good to have a mix between youth and experience so I'm happy to keep them on to allow the youngsters to get up to the level. Don't really see the need for Dussey though as Hussey, Clarke and Ponting gives you more than enough experience. Unless they are that desperate for a bowling all rounder then I'd give them that. If Maxwell was around I would have had him in Dussey spot.

No it's not.

Yes, yes it is.

The percentage number of second-tier competition players in football would not be able to play in the AFL. It is different with domestic and international cricket.

Again based on your criterion Michael Hussey should have been ignored fullstop. Over 5,000 test runs at an average of better than 50.

Then notice how players can take 3-4 seasons (50-80 games) to even develop close to their potential while among the AFL? When selected to play cricket at an international level you are expected to perform almost immediately. In the AFL if your form is not up to the necessary level you can be sent back to the second-tier competition, play well for a week before being brought back into the senior team. In cricket you can be sent back for years or never be recalled.

The selection criteria is totally different.

Is that a joke?

You question his ability to make consistent runs - but he's still class?

Class batsman make lots of runs for many seasons in a row. That is class. Second tier batsman make decent runs every now and then - but generally revert to the mean of being average only.

Now you tell me which one is Callum Ferguson

Why not look to get Adam Voges back in?

Go watch Ferguson bat and tell me he does not ooze in class. One of the more elegant stroke makers in the modern age. When given the opportunity to play in the ODI squad hasn't let his country down.

The problem with that policy is that you struggle with succession planning.

Imagine further delaying the careers of guys like Warne, Ponting, McGrath and Clarke so a 30+ year old battler can play a handful of tests and show he isn't classy enough.

Beyond the obligatory 3 draft picks each year, why do football clubs invest in youth rather then mature players? Granted, in cricket they cannot be selected by opposition.

Succession planning is built up over years in cricket. You have an 18 year old on the scene and may not hear about him again for the next 5 years before he really blossoms.

Make players earn the rights to play for their country. If Player A is better than Player B, than Player A should be picked regardless. Simon Katich vs Phil Hughes springs to mind

For what exactly? To win a couple of meaninless T20I games at the expense of giving a younger spinner some experience not to mention that youngster will probably have made no impact on the result anyway.

Go tell the crickets vowing for a spot in the T20I squad that the win would be meaningless. Last I checked Australia wanted to be the #1 in all forms of the game, this includes T20.

Go watch Ferguson bat and tell me he does not ooze in class. One of the more elegant stroke makers in the modern age. When given the opportunity to play in the ODI squad hasn't let his country down.

Elegant? Perhaps

Effective - not over the long term is hasn't been.

Would you prefer Mark Waugh or Alan Border? One oozed class and was an elegant stroke maker, the other made 10,000+ runs at over 50 against some of the best attacks of the past 30 years.

I think you confused my comment that Ferguson isn't a class batsman, with what his style looks like. He may be classy looking, but he removed from a class batsman.

Give me the guy that scores runs any day of the week than the guy who looks good getting out.

Elegant? Perhaps

Effective - not over the long term is hasn't been.

Would you prefer Mark Waugh or Alan Border? One oozed class and was an elegant stroke maker, the other made 10,000+ runs at over 50 against some of the best attacks of the past 30 years.

I think you confused my comment that Ferguson isn't a class batsman, with what his style looks like. He may be classy looking, but he removed from a class batsman.

Give me the guy that scores runs any day of the week than the guy who looks good getting out.

Ferguson hasn't looked like getting out whilst playing in Australian colours. Guy has class, whilst his form hasn't been splendid this summer, Forrest's form doesn't exactly warrant his selection either.

Go tell the crickets vowing for a spot in the T20I squad that the win would be meaningless. Last I checked Australia wanted to be the #1 in all forms of the game, this includes T20.

We are number 1 in ODI cricket, does that mean much? India are the world champions, the WC is what is remembered not some silly system we use to rate who is number 1.

And if we are serious about being number 1 in T20 then where is Mike Hussey, Dirk Nannes? Both of them should walk into our best 11.

We are number 1 in ODI cricket, does that mean much? India are the world champions, the WC is what is remembered not some silly system we use to rate who is number 1.

The Australian players beg to differ.

Ferguson hasn't looked like getting out whilst playing in Australian colours. Guy has class, whilst his form hasn't been splendid this summer, Forrest's form doesn't exactly warrant his selection either.

Which part of being mid-tier state cricketer for 8 years makes him class? His superb average of 37?

He had a decent run at ODI cricket - but hell, Adam Voges averages more for Australia at a faster rate, has a substantially better first class record and can roll the arm over as well - let's get him in I guess - he's class as well.....

On Forrest - no doubt - but that's irrelevant to Ferguson IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is relevant because I wouldn't have had to defend Ferguson had you not cited those who argued he should have been picked before Forrest.

Whatever our thoughts on the previous selection panel, I doubt they would have picked Ferguson without seeing in him. Ferguson's season in the Ryobi Cup has been a good one anyways.

Adam Voges is a workman and has previously been picked to play for Australia on form and had his form warranted further selection he should then have been picked, yet again.

The Australia selectors beg to differ. Peter Forrest in our best 11?

Forrest has been in excellent Shield form and for all we supporters/ spectators know it could be a concealed analysis among the selectors to see whether he is worth looking at in regards to the test side.

The more eccentric it sounds the more probable it is.

I mean why else would they pick him :rolleyes:

Forrest has been in excellent Shield form and for all we supporters/ spectators know it could be a concealed analysis among the selectors to see whether he is worth looking at in regards to the test side.

NSW quota? :p

Falcon strike, give it up. We know you hate Ferg and nothing will change your mind, given that you have ignored every valid reasoning as to why he should be in the team.

I don't hate him - I don't know him, I'm sure he's an affable bloke.

There's plenty of run of the mill state cricketers like Ferguson.

Hell - WA have had a plethora of them in the last decade - so it's pretty easy to spot.

I make the point about Voges, his record standswell above that of Ferguson - and I'd be making the same point if people wanted him selected.

Aka not picking your best ODI side to maintain the number 1 ODI ranking. While we all would love to keep the number 1 ODI ranking the bigger picture is the World Cup and hence the selectors pick youth to ensure we have the best possible chance to win that WC. Just like the bigger picture in Test cricket atm is the Ashes.

Well if it is all part of the 3.141592 to win back the ashes, then I would be damned. Those Khawaja aficionado's may be in for a shock.

I don't hate him - I don't know him, I'm sure he's an affable bloke.

There's plenty of run of the mill state cricketers like Ferguson.

Hell - WA have had a plethora of them in the last decade - so it's pretty easy to spot.

I make the point about Voges, his record standswell above that of Ferguson - and I'd be making the same point if people wanted him selected.
Ferguson is hardly a run of the mill state cricketer. His record is affected by the start of his career where he was very poor. Recent years he has been one of the best one day bastmen in the country.

Since the 08-09 season that lead him into the Aus ODI team, he is average 46 in ListA cricket, where he missed a chunk due to his knee injury in the Champions Trohpy, something that arguably set him back a bit as he was a key component of the team. Over the same period of time, David Hussey is averaging 35.5.

peter forrest is a pretty random selection. faulkenr and coulter-nile must have been very close.

Ferguson is hardly a run of the mill state cricketer. His record is affected by the start of his career where he was very poor. Recent years he has been one of the best one day bastmen in the country.

Since the 08-09 season that lead him into the Aus ODI team, he is average 46 in ListA cricket, where he missed a chunk due to his knee injury in the Champions Trohpy, something that arguably set him back a bit as he was a key component of the team. Over the same period of time, David Hussey is averaging 35.5.

In that time frame he has played about 20 games.

The last 19/20 games from Ronchi has yielded his runs at 41 and Marcus North at 50.5 and Klinger at 48 Should we rush these guys into the side as well?

IMHO, the real head scratcher is David Hussey. Has an ODI average of 31, which is partly inflated by his single century against Scotland. I know he had a reasonable BBL, so I don't mind seeing him the T20 squad. But I thought the one-day side was all about the World Cup. Surely a guy who turns 35 this year is unlikely to be there for the 2015 World Cup. I guess the same thing can be said about Ponting and M.Hussey.

What's going on?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back