One day team in tri-series???

Remove this Banner Ad

Just because you're paraphrasing John Inverarity, it doesn't mean you're right.

It's already been posted over and over, but he hasn't had a 'par Ryobi Cup season' - at least scores of 53, 110*, 15, 12, 40 and 56* don't suggest that to me. He found form in his last two Shield games, and who cares about a poor Big Bash? Apparently the selectors don't, if their captain is anything to go by.

So 3 scores out of 6....exactly my whole point- patchy at best which is why he is not in the team. People don't get it, would rather someone hitting 30-40 every time than Marcus North MKII where it is rocks or diamonds! That is the whole point, picking players in average form will not help our team.

So 3 scores out of 6....exactly my whole point- patchy at best which is why he is not in the team. People don't get it, would rather someone hitting 30-40 every time than Marcus North MKII where it is rocks or diamonds! That is the whole point, picking players in average form will not help our team.
I'd call it 4 out of 6, I'd be giving him the 40 since it was only possible for him to score 46 in that match as he was out with the scores tied. What do you want him to do? Ask the Umpires to let him continue batting for 100 even though the game is over?

The 56* was a match winning performance after the top order stumbled. His 53 was a quick blast that got us back in the match after another top order stumble.

Pretending it was something else doesn't make it true bombers.

i recokn ferguson is pretty stiff.

i certainly would've had in front of forrest.

and i've highly considered rob quiney.

can't think of any others others of the top of my head right now who could've come in.

dave hussey pretty lucky too.

I'd call it 4 out of 6, I'd be giving him the 40 since it was only possible for him to score 46 in that match as he was out with the scores tied. What do you want him to do? Ask the Umpires to let him continue batting for 100 even though the game is over?

The 56* was a match winning performance after the top order stumbled. His 53 was a quick blast that got us back in the match after another top order stumble.

Pretending it was something else doesn't make it true bombers.

Here is an idea...not get out rather than throw his wicket away. Even 4 out of 6 is not belting the door down, not when others are smashing the side of the barn over to get in the team. The whole issue with Ferguson is there are too many sub par scores, and it is not just this season. He has been woeful in the Shield as well this season. Sure Shield form shouldn't count but it does that is just reality. The one day team should give people experience before the test team, especially in a non world cup year.

Smashing the side of a barn over? There is only one person higher than him in runs for the tournament and that is Hodge. There are only two people above him in batting average and that is Cooper and Khawaja, who got a hundred in his only match.

Such an ignorant waste of space you are, I don't know why I am bothering to reply to you. In fact I won't from now on cause it is clear not even cold hard facts can change your bias against Ferguson.

Smashing the side of a barn over? There is only one person higher than him in runs for the tournament and that is Hodge. There are only two people above him in batting average and that is Cooper and Khawaja, who got a hundred in his only match.

Such an ignorant waste of space you are, I don't know why I am bothering to reply to you. In fact I won't from now on cause it is clear not even cold hard facts can change your bias against Ferguson.

Exactly Cooper and Khawaja have better cases for selection, especially Cooper, who I have no issue in selecting as he is in form. I like Ferguson actually, but he needs to do more, there is a reason his averages are in the 30's- lack of application simple as that.

I like that they're judging players over everything they're showing across the season, instead of simplistically looking at a few isolated one day games. I'd rather players heard "do more" than "no worries, that's good enough".

I like that they're judging players over everything they're showing across the season, instead of simplistically looking at a few isolated one day games. I'd rather players heard "do more" than "no worries, that's good enough".
But that doesn't make much sense because some players just genuinely don't play well at certain formats. Ed Cowan is one, he's never been a great One Day player and is definitely not a good T20 player.. however he is in the test team on the back of Shield form... because Shield form represents what he can potentially do at test level.

I dare say that if the BBL was only short and Shield/ODD was still going at the time, we might not have seen the same players be picked and they might have used individual formats to pick players. Instead, they don't have anything to go on except the T20 format and are lucky that our test series went so well other wise we would have been screwed.

if i was to hazard a guess as a rough breakdown of what they look at for each format.

tests: 80% shield form, 20% ODI, 0% the rest
ODIs: 60% ODD, 25% BBL/T20I, 15% test/shield
T20Is: 60% BBL, 20% ODI, 20% ODD

something like that?? case by case basis obviously, but i don't think it hurts to give other format consideration as to what they can do in ODI's and T20I's.... and it's clear we have seen guys springboarded into the test team on the back of strong ODI form (with mixed success, including guys who were probably never really thought about as potential test players until strong odi form - symonds.... maybe...).... i don't think elevation into the international teams should be entirely dependant on performances in it's equivalent domestic competition. skills can obviously transfer across.

There is only one person higher than him in runs for the tournament and that is Hodge. There are only two people above him in batting average and that is Cooper and Khawaja, who got a hundred in his only match.

Didn't really want to get into this argument as the selection of Forrest clearly has nothing to do with one-day form, and for some reason the Ferguson fan club seems to be...devoted. However I've had enough of people referring to the ODD runs tally to justify a selection for Ferguson.

Yep, he's had a great ODD season, but that is in context of a poor shield season and a big bash so woeful he was dropped from a seriously depleted Adelaide side.

My point about the ODD runs list is, there have only been six games, six innings from which to judge form. If you're going by that list, then Quiney, Ronchi, and Klinger have just as much of a case for a call up as Ferguson, but no-one is worried about them, despite Quiney and Klinger in particular carrying considerably superior shield and big-bash form with them. Ferguson wasn't "in" the team last time it played which means he needs to make a case for a call up and that means performing in more than just one form of the game.

Yep, he's had a great ODD season, but that is in context of a poor shield season and a big bash so woeful he was dropped from a seriously depleted Adelaide side.

It's pointless to argue about it anymore, but I'll never be convinced that Shield and T20 form should carry any real weight in ODI selection - they are completely different games.

I just the find the reasoning behind his omission (that overall he is in poor form) to be quite flimsy and suggestive that the selectors watched the Big Bash and forgot there was any other form of domestic cricket. Whereas, Callum found form in the last two Shield games and was always in form in the Ryobi Cup.

And just as a side note, the Strikers batting line up was never seriously depleted - the spin bowling and allrounder stocks were. But not the batting, where guys like Blizzard, Borgas and Cooper are more explosive hitters than Ferguson.

It's pointless to argue about it anymore, but I'll never be convinced that Shield and T20 form should carry any real weight in ODI selection - they are completely different games.

I just the find the reasoning behind his omission (that overall he is in poor form) to be quite flimsy and suggestive that the selectors watched the Big Bash and forgot there was any other form of domestic cricket. Whereas, Callum found form in the last two Shield games and was always in form in the Ryobi Cup.

And just as a side note, the Strikers batting line up was never seriously depleted - the spin bowling and allrounder stocks were. But not the batting, where guys like Blizzard, Borgas and Cooper are more explosive hitters than Ferguson.
but time is certainly an Issue. the Sheild and ODD was 8 weeks ago, recent form, regardless of format must be taken into some consideration. and i dissagree, I think good SS players can be good OD players, especially in the middle overs where the accumulator is needed (i.e M. Clarke, not really known for his hitting ability) and a T20 style innings is required in the last overs. the games arent that mutually exclusive.

I'm not saying that good Shield players can't be good ODD players, obviously they can and are. But I wouldn't be putting much weight on Shield form when selecting an ODI squad.

I've always been for having nearly separate teams for each format, and you do that by selecting squads based on domestic form in that particular competition. And with his form in the Ryobi Cup, coupled with his previous international performances, Ferguson would have been in my squad - regardless of how he played in the Big Bash.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even harder to swallow Forrest's selection (in a format he has done bugger all in) now that Quiney has added to his excellent Big Bash and Ryobi Cup form (and pretty good shield form), with a pair of centuries in the current Shield game against WA.

He is RIPE FOR THE PICKING. :thumbsu:

(Glad they picked Shaun Marsh instead of him in the T20's, though!)

At what point can we fire this shit prick of a physio? He's clearly incompetent.

I'm just assuming he's actually killed Shane Watson.

For getting hit by a ball?

Bit Harsh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back