HugeJohnson

Just hanging out
Apr 25, 2009
Some point in space and time
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
This may be taken as an overreaction over a harmless T20 series, but I just have to say it, I absolutely hate that Cricket Australia have decided that it was a good idea to stay in India after a long and gruelling world cup to play this absolute joke of a series. Do you think anyone in the Australian (or Indian, for that matter) camp gives a flying **** about these 5 games?

Some may argue that any cricket is good cricket and hey at least we have something to watch. But to me, this series does more harm to the game than good.
Australia should be back home celebrating their successes over the Australian winter, retaining the Ashes, and winning both the Test Championship and World Cup. We are well in to the Australian cricket season now, football has been finished for 2 months. Why isn't our national team returning home after a job well done, resting up and joining up with their state teams if they choose to, promoting the domestic competition and preparing for the Australian summer? Why have we heard about the players being burned out after such a hectic schedule earlier in the world cup, and then we've decided to go and schedule a pointless T20 series on top of it, further extending time away from home?
I understand many of the key figures are leaving and won't be a part of the series, which also begs the question, why bother?
GREED. That is the only reason this series was scheduled. Pure, filthy greed.
International fixtures and tours should always be played with the best available players. You will never convince me otherwise. I for one am absolutely sick of the national team playing these pointless games and using them as a development opportunity.
The development should be done within the domestic competitions. Our best players should be more involved in Sheffield Shield, Marsh Cup and BBL and you will have a hard time convincing me otherwise.
And it starts 4 days after the world cup final!!! What the actual *??

I believe series like these lessens the integrity of international level cricket. Spectators are dropping off because of this.
The burnout extends to the audience as well as the players. Stop shoving it down our throats and make it mean something.

The series has a bit of 'who cares' about it, though I wonder why Steve Smith is staying on to play. I'd rather see him rest and recuperate before the home test season.

We had a similar meaningless home ODI series with England after they won the T20 cup in Australia, and we smashed them. On that basis, I suspect India will smash us in this series. And nobody will care.

The series has a bit of 'who cares' about it, though I wonder why Steve Smith is staying on to play. I'd rather see him rest and recuperate before the home test season.

We had a similar meaningless home ODI series with England after they won the T20 cup in Australia, and we smashed them. On that basis, I suspect India will smash us in this series. And nobody will care.
I have no recollection of the bolded at all. Goes to show how much of a non event bilateral limited overs cricket can be at times.

India winning 5-0 in a pointless series would be us actually giving India more mental disintegration.

Reminding them that we actaully beat them in the one game that actually mattered.

will be interesting to see how we line up:

head
smith
m.short
david

wade
inglis

maxwell
stoinis
hardie
abbott

sangha
zampa

behrendorf
ellis
kane

apparently ony 11 T20's before the world cup
  • 5 v india in india
  • 3 v WI in Oz
  • 3 v NZ in NZ

not fussed if we lose this series 5-0.

there's no cummins, no starc, no hazlewood, no marsh, no green - no worries.

we won what mattered.
The thing is Australia could easily plan a T20 series before the USA World Cup in 2024 at pretty much any time.

Australia v India 3 match series if I stand to be corrected (before the World Cup was fairly late notice too). It was played in September in a best of 3 format ODI series.

I wont be surprised if they add more fixtures before the actual tournament starts.

There's more than enough limited o0ver cricket as it is, let alone when the World Cup is factored into it as well. I'd like to see our guys facing the red ball for a change.
The truth and reality is , there isnt enough money in red ball cricket to make it an attractive option for alot of top players. Shield fixtures are played in front of 'tin pot' sized crowds, and Marsh Cup crowds you would be lucky to get 500+ people to them. I know its grassroots cricket but Cricket Australia will always try to eek out every dollar possible from the TV markets and keep broadcasters happy. There is a saying 'money talks , bull$hit walks'

The next set of Shield fixtures is on 28 November to 1st December 2023 before the Pakistan series. I know this T20 series against India is pretty much useless preparation and meaningless, but I can guarantee there would be more worth for the Indian TV companies/broadcast rights, with that series over Sheffield Shield series. I would imagine that probably none of the 6 State teams players playing from 28 Nov to 1st December 2023 will play in that Aus v Pak series. One feels thats the Aussie team is pretty much settled as it is right now.

As sad as it may sound, Cricket Australia has sold their soul to Indian TV broadcasters.

Last edited:
And to further on the point, I think of the amount of sort of 'extra add on games' there are in other sports. Its all done for TV rights/betting sponsorships/and to add money to coffers of relevant boards.

eg

NBA- 82 game season+ friendly pre season games
Premier League or top Euro League clubs- think about those meaningless friendlies, tours of US for their Champions trophy equivalent. Aside from the 38 premier league games + up to 13 European Club games + XXX amount of 'friendlies' and on top of national duty matches.
Golf- aside from majors and possibly ryder Cup/Presidents cup, who really watches these other tournaments?
Tennis- again aside from majors and End of Year title, who really watches the lesser points based tournaments?
Baseball (MLB)- again similar to the NBA, the sports code is almost losing its relevancy in America with soccer pushing it now. I believe an MLB season is 162 games during a season. People dont talk about that 87th game or that 95th game you played during the season. Its what you do in the Playoffs that counts.

Do feel that in Australia A-League and NBL have sort of a right balance in terms of quantity of matches.

Last season I watched alot of NBA games but there were games where the top players purposefully missed matches, teams werent trying in certain matches, and teams gave up once they got to a certain margin.

You generally do know with the Aussie cricket team, is when they get to peak final stages- they generally perform. I think having AFL finals, NRL finals and being known for that 'moment' has been pushed to Australians at a younger age. We dont judge teams in a home and away season, we judge teams in Playoffs/Finals. And for some teams a choke tag is attached if they dont perform well. eg Port Adelaide had this stigma before their first GF, Essendon have had a drought in not winning a Finals game for a long term, Collingwood had that drought before 1990 premiership etc etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The truth and reality is , there isnt enough money in red ball cricket to make it an attractive option for alot of top players. Shield fixtures are played in front of 'tin pot' sized crowds, and Marsh Cup crowds you would be lucky to get 500+ people to them. I know its grassroots cricket but Cricket Australia will always try to eek out every dollar possible from the TV markets and keep broadcasters happy. There is a saying 'money talks , bull$hit walks'

The next set of Shield fixtures is on 28 November to 1st December 2023 before the Pakistan series. I know this T20 series against India is pretty much useless preparation and meaningless, but I can guarantee there would be more worth for the Indian TV companies/broadcast rights, with that series over Sheffield Shield series. I would imagine that probably none of the 6 State teams players playing from 28 Nov to 1st December 2023 will play in that Aus v Pak series. One feels thats the Aussie team is pretty much settled as it is right now.

As sad as it may sound, Cricket Australia has sold their soul to Indian TV broadcasters.
Yes agree but you can still send smith head home and get them ready for the tests. ...the BCCI doesn't select our teams

Yes agree but you can still send smith head home and get them ready for the tests. ...the BCCI doesn't select our teams
I totally agree with that.

What it does is - it probably hurts domestic cricket in Australia at that particularly time. The Aussie public would love to see national heroes come back and play for their states.

Looking at the dates of the tours:

India v Australia 5 T20's from 23 Nov- 3 December

Sheffield Shield season (when all 6 states play) from 28 Nov-1 December

You will also have none of the top players from Australia XI core, be playing in the Shield games (highly unlikely anyway). And even if its for 1 game, you ask whats the point? Im not going to buy the bait: Steve Smith , David Warner, Travis Head, Cummins, Starc etc will come back now, and be motivated to play for their state based sides after winning a World Cup last Sunday. I feel for a guy like Glenn Maxwell, who probably doesnt get the chance to prove himself in Shield cricket to be a viable option in Tests. (even though there is talk of him now with that 200+ knock in the World Cup as a ticket to the test side). For the purists, they would still like him to back that form up in the state scene.

There is a good chance , that some teams will probably be fielding 2nd string XI state based sides on that particular date.

I totally agree with that.

What it does is - it probably hurts domestic cricket in Australia at that particularly time. The Aussie public would love to see national heroes come back and play for their states.

Looking at the dates of the tours:

India v Australia 5 T20's from 23 Nov- 3 December

Sheffield Shield season (when all 6 states play) from 28 Nov-1 December

You will also have none of the top players from Australia XI core, be playing in the Shield games (highly unlikely anyway). And even if its for 1 game, you ask whats the point? Im not going to buy the bait: Steve Smith , David Warner, Travis Head, Cummins, Starc etc will come back now, and be motivated to play for their state based sides after winning a World Cup last Sunday. I feel for a guy like Glenn Maxwell, who probably doesnt get the chance to prove himself in Shield cricket to be a viable option in Tests. (even though there is talk of him now with that 200+ knock in the World Cup as a ticket to the test side). For the purists, they would still like him to back that form up in the state scene.

There is a good chance , that some teams will probably be fielding 2nd string XI state based sides on that particular date.
1 games is better than 0 games IMO

Test cricket is still the pinnacle is it not NYRB ?

I understand the need to rest but I reckon if you asked some of the players they definitely would be motivated to come out and represent there states 100% reckon Head would jump at the opportunity to represent SA in the shield. We also have the situation where NSW is in dire straights these past few years in the shield...having some Test/NSW players come out and play a shield game Smith/Cummins etc would be massive for the state

and what about odi's in the aussie summer.

since channel 7 have had the rights, they have not shown one. (they only show tests, bbl and womens cricket).

also doesn't help when aust v zim and aust v wi were played in august/sept last year and no real advertising for any of these games.

the average punter doesn't know about these games until the day after most of the time.

it will be the same in feb when we play WI.

and what about odi's in the aussie summer.

since channel 7 have had the rights, they have not shown one. (they only show tests, bbl and womens cricket).

also doesn't help when aust v zim and aust v wi were played in august/sept last year and no real advertising for any of these games.

the average punter doesn't know about these games until the day after most of the time.

it will be the same in feb when we play WI.
I do agree that the marketing of the ODI games has been poor.(its been like that for some while). From memory some of the home ODIs have been only via pay TV. Hard to grow the game , if its behind a pay tv subscription. (the zimbabwe ODI series last year was from memory only available via paytv )

If you asked the 'average Joe' in Australia about what ODI games there are this summer - you would be second guessing. (I had to Google it and only realised Aussies have 3 ODIs this summer. ) There are also only 3 T20 games in there as well. Id imagine the crowds for those ODIs in : Canberra, Sydney and Melbourne will be OK....but probably not as good as the T20s. I wrote on another thread I genuinely had concerns about the crowds for those 3 ODI games this summer but after winning the World Cup, CA have a good selling point in getting fans to those games.

I genuinely feel this summer the Tests , ODIs and T20s , Aussies could clean sweep the West Indies.........3-0, 3-0, and 3-0.

The truth and reality is , there isnt enough money in red ball cricket to make it an attractive option for alot of top players.
No, the truth is we somehow have to field a Test team in future with many in the current team on the wrong side of 30, and some very ordinary performers in the Sheffield Shield right now. I don't give a stuff about how much money individuals can earn playing hit and giggle.

Thats the thing, no one cares about it because Cricket Australia stopped caring about it. The one day cup used to be pretty popular 10-15 years ago. The crowds were always decent. Then they started mucking around with the format (remember when they split the innings up?) and then made the mind boggling decision of playing all games in one state over a couple of weeks.
Send the best players back to their state teams and promote the cricket in Australia, and the crowds will come back I reckon. Of course no one wants to go watch SA at the moment. But I reckon you put Travis Head back in there after his world cup heroics and you'd get a few more people interested.
Imagine NSW with Warner, Smith, Cummins, Starc, Hazlewood, Zampa.... Pretty much the Australian team anyway.
It's a shame everything comes back to the money side of things.
It's also disappointing letting the players skip out on the big bash but allow them to play as much IPL as they want.

So, now we have two countries that are claiming moral victories, after winning Jack Sheeit.
Which of these moral champion teams wins the non existant World Championship for losers?

I genuinely feel this summer the Tests , ODIs and T20s , Aussies could clean sweep the West Indies.........3-0, 3-0, and 3-0.

we are only playing 2 tests and i can see the west indies pinching a white ball game.

i doubt the world cup XI will all front up for 3 odi's and 3 t20's at the back end of the summer , in preparation for a 2 test series in NZ.

I have no recollection of the bolded at all. Goes to show how much of a non event bilateral limited overs cricket can be at times.
You're not alone.

The third and final game of the series was played in Melbourne. The echo of a cricket ball flying off the bat of Head/Warner/Marsh at an empty MCG is something else.

Most games of Twenty20 cricket are meaningless. I cared a bit about who won during last season's BBL because I did the tipping comp and wanted to do well in that. India winning the series 5-0 would be pretty funny. We won't care but they probably would.

In this year's IPL, I can recall Rinku Singh hitting 5 consecutive sixes to win a game and Jadeja hitting 10 runs off the last 2 balls to win the tournament for the Chennai Super Kings. So that's 2 out of about 74 games where something memorable happened.

Last summer's BBL wasn't too bad. At the moment though it seems like only the Perth Scorchers really care about winning it. Until more teams care about winning the BBL, it'll always be hit and giggle, light entertainment cricket on TV during December and January.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back