Review HARKER'S Off-Season Training Summary and Player Ratings.

Remove this Banner Ad

41. Levi Casboult

One thing that won’t change this season is for the differences of opinion we will have on big Levi.
The strength in his contested marking is enough to excite many, but his ability to work below his knees is still largely non-existent.
To be fair to Levi, he is commanding a lot more authority out on the track than he had in recent years and has certainly sharpened his body up in this time.
He is much stronger and quicker than when he came to us, and is just now starting to use that strength on the park.
Levi has been used in the ruck through some game-day drills and has done reasonably well, although I just don’t see Levi as a ruck-man for he has very little leap in him.
Levi’s goal-kicking has most certainly improved or at least in the confines through training. There has been time put into his (and many others) kicking actions, and this does seem to have helped him, as not as many kicks are skewing off his boot as they used to.
Rating: 6/10

I'm so glad you've seen improvement in Levi over this pre-season. I know how hard he has been working both on and off the field to get his body in shape.

his ability to work below his knees is still largely non-existent.
That ability will come. I believe it is better than it was when he first got to the club. It's not100% there yet, but it is slowly improving.

I hope that any negative type comments don't offend anyone who may be friends with any of our boys.

Maybe non-existent was too harsh, but Levi is certainly no Henderson just yet at least, when it comes to this aspect of play.
I just think it's really important and especially so when you have the opportunity to use it to convert that pick-up to a goal.
You miss the pick-up and the ball ends up at the other end of the ground.

Oh I agree with you there. He is a long way off being a Henderson at this stage.

You're right, he needs to really work on the ability to be able to pick the ball up off the ground, which has seen some improvements, but no where near enough improvement just yet. Hopefully we'll see it soon!

I'm just really glad you've seen some improvements from him! I haven't been able to get down to training at all this pre-season, so I'm really thankful for your insights! I really appreciate it!

Fingers crossed we see a really big improvement in Levi this year and maybe he can be really close to a senior selection at some point during the year. I think the only way he'll get a game at this stage will be due to other players injuries unfortunately.

21. Joshua Bootsma

I know I’ve been raving about him but it's hard but not to be impressed for the way he is performing at the moment. Whether the form holds up or not is a different matter, but the skills have been on regular show.
This kid is a smooth mover with killer closing speed that will mow down opponents regularly. This is not to say that he’s the fastest player you’ll see, but he has a knack of being upon you before you know it.
For Bootsma to have caught Yarran through a drill says enough alone, but I’ve seen him do that regularly through game day drills which has left the opponent somewhat bewildered.
Joshua also works well in tight quarters with his agility, but further to that he is still capable of spotting up targets under pressure, in a manner you’d expect of a senior player.
He marking style is one where his hands move with the ball and it all looks just so smooth and complete, and if that isn’t enough his kicking on either foot is also of a high standard.
Just in closing, Bootsma is also a beautiful kick and goal-kicker who’ll just lean on the ball and roost it 50+ metres without effort.
Ratten has already called it that Josh will play games this year and he well may, so we may just have ourselves a beauty in a poor draft. Time will tell.
Rating: 8/10
Time will tell, but getting Bootsma at 22 might make a mockery of those who said the draft was weak. I'm not putting Bootsma on the same level as Fyfe, but like the Docker, he could end up a value pick and a canny selection. Both are skinny bastards who are more competitive than they look. Hopefully we've found a long term replacement for Scotland.

When Lucas gets back into the swing of things, there are several places he could play.
I know he has a good defensive game to him, but he may just be so much more damaging around the ground.
Whichever way, I'd have him in my 22 and the rest would be up to him and the coaches.

It might be a bit early for what im about to say, but I will put it out there anyway.

Every chance Lucas will take Scotlands spot at the start of the year. Sounds like Scotto could be in some trouble and I wouldn't be suprised if he gets suspended. You would think Lucas is first cab off the rank if this is the case.

42. Zach Tuohy

I just love watching this guy and shake my head that we could have just struck gold via an International Rookie spot.
Zach will regularly start his training sessions with some ball tricks that he seems to enjoy performing.
On one occasion he went through balancing and juggling the ball on his foot, kicked it behind his head, just to back-kick to his front again, in order to carry on with the tricks. Freak.
He also doesn’t mind marking the ball behind his back, in which he and Garlett seem to be masters of.
There has also been a lot of torpedo (spiral punt) kicking through training sessions and he and Barker seem to be the best proponents of this kick.
Zach will regularly gain 60 metres when he connects with this kick, but one of them must have travelled a minimum of 70 metres, recently. The smack at the point of connection was louder than any other kick I have heard in my time.
Zach’s field kicking has been of an A-Grade quality and just doesn’t miss a target when there is no pressure applied.
His close-in work is also as sharp and quick as anyone else we have at our club right now. Zach's reactions in general are very sharp.
The only fault I can place on Zach is that he has been a little slow to execute and give off to the best option through game drills.
Other than that, we can expect Zach nailing down a regular spot this year.
Rating: 8.5/10

Zach Tuohy really excites me - ever since I first saw You Tube footage of him playing Gaelic Football, and nothing I have seen since that time has changed my opinion of him - we have definitley found "Gold in them thar Hills" with Zach.

I have gone out on a limb on other forums and have said that by the time Zach finishes his AFL career he will be spoken about as one of the best ever Gaelic imports to our game (Jim Stynes and Tadhg Kennelly inclusive).

I'm looking forward to Zach taking some of the "run & carry" work off the back line from Chris Yarran to allow Yarran to move up to the wing/mid-field - Zach to Yazz to Walker/Waite up forward is a mouth watering prospect.

Zach Tuohy really excites me - ever since I first saw You Tube footage of him playing Gaelic Football, and nothing I have seen since that time has changed my opinion of him - we have definitley found "Gold in them thar Hills" with Zach.

I have gone out on a limb on other forums and have said that by the time Zach finishes his AFL career he will be spoken about as one of the best ever Gaelic imports to our game (Jim Stynes and Tadhg Kennelly inclusive).

I'm looking forward to Zach taking some of the "run & carry" work off the back line from Chris Yarran to allow Yarran to move up to the wing/mid-field - Zach to Yazz to Walker/Waite up forward is a mouth watering prospect.
Pleasure reading Harker:) agro from what i've seen easily in our best 22 - not the slowest and has a raking kick in his armory in my opinion.

also does anyone know when will the intra club matches begin??

All Done now Harks!
Thanks heaps for all the time and hard work you put into letting us fans know how each player is progressing over the pre-season.
Hopefully the low ratings of some players can step up between now and round one :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

haha I wouldnt expect the new recruits to be pulling the big numbers just yet. Their time will come. Bootsma is definitely an exception. Sounds like he has set the world on fire! Haven't had a chance to see him live yet so looking forward to that!

Well, maybe not quite set the world on fire but you could be exused to think we had got ourselves atop 3 pick, for the way he has gone about things.
It may all quieten down from here on in, but Ratten must be besides himself for what WH has handed to him.

I suppose most of the early draft picks were your stock standard team building role players. They'd also want a player they could take and play "straight out of the box". Carlton have time to invest in a player like him - Bootsma's thin build may have cost him a job at GWS, Port, GC, and Richmond.

I suppose most of the early draft picks were your stock standard team building role players. They'd also want a player they could take and play "straight out of the box". Carlton have time to invest in a player like him - Bootsma's thin build may have cost him a job at GWS, Port, GC, and Richmond.

Im sure he is very thankful for that then :p

Im sure he is very thankful for that then :p

Hahaha I should habe put a :p at the end of that.

I reckon he scored a good gig at the blues. I guess the next best thing for him would be to play for Freo like his old man but he'll be well loved here

I hope that any negative type comments don't offend anyone who may be friends with any of our boys.

Maybe non-existent was too harsh, but Levi is certainly no Henderson just yet at least, when it comes to this aspect of play.
I just think it's really important and especially so when you have the opportunity to use it to convert that pick-up to a goal.
You miss the pick-up and the ball ends up at the other end of the ground.

Oh I agree with you there. He is a long way off being a Henderson at this stage.

You're right, he needs to really work on the ability to be able to pick the ball up off the ground, which has seen some improvements, but no where near enough improvement just yet. Hopefully we'll see it soon!

I'm just really glad you've seen some improvements from him! I haven't been able to get down to training at all this pre-season, so I'm really thankful for your insights! I really appreciate it!

IIRC, he has this year left on the rookie list before we have to either let him go or promote him. So he has this year left to basically prove himself as a footballer or the dream is over... at least at Carlton it is. I am sure that GWS would pick him up if we let him go.

Hi Guys,
New guy here who only just joined yesterday. Ive been reading these forums now for a couple of years so I feel like I know some of you already, but after reading this pre season report card on all our playing list, I felt compelled to join up just to thank Harker for this unbelievable thread.

I love my Blues and I'm a paid up member, but really dont get to too many games a year and have never been to a training session, so when a guy like Harker not only goes to these training sessions religiously, but also commits his time to actually writing a review on every player on our list, well, what can I say.

Thanks heaps mate, your observations and thoughts have been better than any fluff pieces the HUN have published this year, and you have got me more than a little excited about our chances in 2012.....

Cheers and "GO BLUES"

Hi Guys,
New guy here who only just joined yesterday. Ive been reading these forums now for a couple of years so I feel like I know some of you already, but after reading this pre season report card on all our playing list, I felt compelled to join up just to thank Harker for this unbelievable thread.

I love my Blues and I'm a paid up member, but really dont get to too many games a year and have never been to a training session, so when a guy like Harker not only goes to these training sessions religiously, but also commits his time to actually writing a review on every player on our list, well, what can I say.

Thanks heaps mate, your observations and thoughts have been better than any fluff pieces the HUN have published this year, and you have got me more than a little excited about our chances in 2012.....

Cheers and "GO BLUES"

Excellent post & welcome to our wonderful Board Greenmachine777. :thumbsu:

Thanks Aph and a pleasure to be here...... I've also noted the outstanding work you do on here as well.....I certainly wouldnt have the time or patience to do what you guys do... :thumbsu:

Thanks again to one and all that have thanked me and as much as I enjoy going to training, I honestly believe I owe this board for all the information it throws back to all of us.
We have plenty of terrific people here that have gone our of their way to afford us all information, images, reports etc. on an ongoing basis and at times it's easy just to take it for granted.
The upshot is whatever we take out, we should put a little back in, at least in some little way where we can.

On the footballing side of things, we have a really exciting group of players right now, along with coaches that will allow them to breathe and exercise the full range of their skills.
I don't know whether that will bring us to within reach of the flag, but we are certainly going to have a team, most will want to come and watch.
Actually, I do know it will take us to a flag, but I just don't want to say it too loudly. :)

I'll say it for you Harks ;)

Actually, I do know it will take us to a flag, but I just don't want to say it too loudly.

I'll say it for you Harks ;)

Actually, I do know it will take us to a flag, but I just don't want to say it too loudly.

Gee "when" it does happen again i'll definitely be letting everyone know very very loudly..... I cant wait for my son to experience his first grand final victory as I have had at least 8 times in my lifetime....

please,please,please let it be now...:)

Harks is elite, no doubt about it.

I hope we do win a flag soon, I honestly must say i will be slightly obnoxious in all sense of the word on and off this board. 1995 was far too long ago for my likings!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back