Competitions Bulldogs board phantom draft

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda select Kristian Jaksch.

Was tossing up between Jaksch/Clurey/Shaw. So Jaksch it is as he as the potential to solve one of St Kilda's big issues which is the lack of a key back or young key forward to fill the void of Riewoldt.

Knightmares write up:
Jaksch is a strong overhead mark and is a real contested marking threat around the ground as well as up forward. Has very strong hands. Reads the play to a very high level and reads the ball in the air well. At ground level for a key position player also very good. Jaksch is an elite field kick for a key position player and can lace out kick the ball to where the player wants it every time and is a genuine playmaker whether it be in the back half coming out of defence or whether up forward finding a his man executing kicks no key position player has the right to. Set shot goal kicking good. Athletically Jaksch is above average, has a solid leap but also moves really well with good pace and agility but he should develop into more of a power key forward or defender with his strong marking game.

cross#4 your up.

Are you joining in too, Rookie? You haven't actually said if you are! :p

In regard to your idea, I think Dannnnnnnnn might be on the money, it could take forever to choose. If most people want to do it this way though, i'm happy for that to happen.
Hey Igloo, oops sorry didn't mean to nominate myself, i have a bit going on this week so probably can't commit much time, so if someone is keen to take my place and take over the Dockers that'd be awesome.

That said I'll keep my eye on the thread - already looks interesting!

Hey Igloo, oops sorry didn't mean to nominate myself, i have a bit going on this week so probably can't commit much time, so if someone is keen to take my place and take over the Dockers that'd be awesome.

That said I'll keep my eye on the thread - already looks interesting!
No problem. I put you in just in case.

Anyone want to take over Freo?

North Melbourne are taking Ben kennedy. Thought about mason shaw or Tim membrey as drew Petrie replacements long term, but the kangas will need to keep momentum going and make the 8 again next year, so I've gone for kennedy.

Very short, speedy mid who should be able to contribute in 2013. They need more speed to compliment swallow, Ziebell, cunnington, Adams and Anthony and he's a poor mans boomer Harvey replacement in the mid-term.

Pick 16 - Fremantle -
Mason Shaw (KPF)

The best of the key forwards in this years draft outside of F/S Daniher. A great contested mark and set shot on goal, good size for KPF moving forward at 198 cm but needs time to add some weight to match his size, can pinch hit in the ruck but forward is where he will make his mark at AFL level. Had an outstanding 2011 topped off with a 7 goal grand final appearance had him touted as a top 10, possibly top 5 prospect early on but didn't quite reach those heights in 2012. Still believe he has the talent to be a top 10 pick so Fremantle get him at a steal and it is the added bonus of being both best available and a draft to need as they look to post Pavlich years.

GoDoggies up next

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 17 - Taylor Garner

Best available here for West Coast who don't seem to have any gaping holes in a particular position. An all round midfield who I compare to Fyfe with excellent marking ability for his size and can hit the scoreboard.

Pick 18 100action

Pick 18 - Nick Vlastuin

Collingwood are all smiles after coming away with the draft slider, Vladin was close on the radar of Dogs_R_Barking who happens to occupy pick 19 so we needed to jump at the chance!. A highly credentialed youngster, he boasts 2012 AA honours, AFL-AIS scholarship holder and captained Vic Metro to glory at the championships. Not only does he have leadership qualities he is a inside mid that fills a pressing need at Collingwood, we saw how a crippled Ball disturbed the Collingwood structure, Vlastuin would be a welcome addition to complement the likes of Pendlebury, Sidebottom and Swan. Whilst not the best pure inside mid he is the best available and having inside ability is a bonus given Collingwood's needs. From my experience watching him he is also a general type, he dictates the play and determines how the team moves forward, a goddard/hodge type (although the last general type in Gibbs didnt turn out so well).

Pick 19 Dogs_r_barking

Adelaide Pick 19. Tim Membrey, 18 year old, 188cm, 87 kgs
Captained Gippsland Power, where he kicked a bag of 8 goals against Sandringham in the very tight preliminary final.
Features of his game, are his strong contested football, his chasing, tackling are first class. Has played in the midfield where he accounted for himself well apparently. Setback is that he is short of a full forward, but a tough little player.

Captained Gippsland Power, where he kicked a bag of 8 goals against Sandringham in the very tight preliminary final.
Features of his game, are his strong contested football, his chasing, tackling are first class. Has played in the midfield where he accounted for himself well apparently. Setback is that he is short of a full forward, but a tough little player.

Griffs_revenge you are up next.

Damn you!
Plan B for the Swannies now

GWS Pick #20 - Tom Clurey

With not only a solid shutdown game, but the ability to rebound and damage teams attacking out of defense, Clurey is warmly welcomed to GWS. Ecstatic that he slipped to our pick 20 after posting some very good results at the combine and has showed throughout the year that he not only reads the play well out of defense, but also has the ability to run all day. He's a great decision maker, a solid mark and has surprisingly good footskills for a KPD.
A fine acquisition to developing juggernaut that is the Giants.

Snarling Bulldog - do your thang.

Pick 21- Hawthorn- Jesse Lonergan

Was tossing up between Tom Clurey and Jesse Lonergan, but fortunately for me, Clurey was taken just before I was up and the decision was easy.

With Sewell, Mitchell and Hodge nearing the age of 30, the Hawks will be keen to find some inside midfielder's who can take over from those guys when they finish. Lonergan is the best inside mid available. Wins his own ball and is a good clearance player. Lonergan is 183cm and weighs 86kg. Will be ready to play straight away and more than capable of taking over from the likes of Sewell and Mitchell.

Kevin Sheehan says: “Tough medium midfielder who attacks the ball aggressively and is clean with his ball handling and distribution. Has explosive power and is very competitive, always showing great intensity around the contest and strong second efforts. Nephew of Essendon midfielder Sam Lonergan. Overcame injury to play the final three matches in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 16.3 disposals and laying 5.3 tackles per game. Another AIS-AFL Academy graduate. ”

Next up Mofra

Apologies for delay.

Pick 22 - Sydney - Tim O'Brien
SA - Glenelg - Tall Forward
192cm, 81kgs

Sydney are set for most positions, and noting they don't draft HBFers or Ruckmen (they trade them in) I decided to go for someone who will take time. With Gary Rohan on the list, they are ok with having gingers at the club which is good for Tim.
O'Brien is on the radar of most clubs as a late 1st round/early 2nd round pick, and his Drafty Combine results are doing his chances no end of good, with his 20m sprint and agility tests in the elite category (3rd overall for agility, 20m sprint sub 3 sec, top 10 overall for repeat sprints).

Kevin Sheehan says: “Tall, quick moving forward whose X-factor is his overhead marking. Averaged five marks and 2.2 goals per game in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships and is a reliable set shot for goal. His six goals against Tasmania in Round One was a highlight.”

Dannnnnnnnnn up next for Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back