Unpopular AFL Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

By having them doesn't suddenly make the game not a sport for males and females of all ages. By not allowing them at all is discrimination.

Not at all, I would go as far to say that it empowers women.

What message do you think it sends to kids?
The men are playing sport on the field and the women are on the sidelines in skimpy outfits dancing!

What message do you think it sends to kids?
The men are playing sport on the field and the women are on the sidelines in skimpy outfits dancing!

Oh will someone please think of the children!!!!!

How about we turn our elite sporting competitions in this country to be co-ed sporting competitions. That way there is no discrimination at all. And when a large male almost kills a small female on the field in what is surely to be a horrible sight, we can relax in the knowledge that we aren't being discriminating. :thumbsdown:

You say that but its still better than 17 other teams. And when a 6 year old can come up with something better gimme a ring and ill sign them to a recording deal.
The tune is from a 1930's show tune called "Row, Row, Row", like most football theme songs are copied from old songs. The lyrics are childlike rhymes. All footy songs suck, including my club's. It's kiddie stuff.

The good thing about this thread though, is that I don't have to justify my unpopular opinion. By definition, most opinions in this thread will be heavily disputed.

Andy D generally does a terrific job.

They should stop recalling bad bounces, let it be part of the unpredictability of the game.

Draft pick inflation is getting out of hand. Getting someone like Wellingham for pick 18 isn't close to being overs. Anyone who would be a solid best 22 player for the team they're going to should be worth higher than pick 30.

TBH I think that alot of people brand advances in sport as Americanisation simply because the US sports are usually the leaders in current sports innovation.
The AFL has not gone out of its way to copy american sports but has used it in similar way that the Australian government copies laws from other countries occasionally. We have used the American system to improve the governance of the game, but we have not gone the way of the NRL and added cheerleaders nor put yard lines on the field.
If we had copied US sports than we would have cheerleaders, different jumpers each year, new team songs each year (i have an idea for that though), players talking themselves up, synthetic balls etc.

You really need to stop living in a dream world.

There are unlimited interchanges, quarters, an All-American/Australian team who plays no-one, a draft, holding up the onfield game to play ads on tv, players who crassly celebrate every single goal like they scored a touchdown in the XFL, constant referee interruption (ever noticed how often you hear the whistle in a game?), franchises run by corporates with no homegrounds, the league is so centralised it'd make US sports blush (how many teams are directly or indirectly run by the AFL now?), etc.

I'm sure if I spent more than a minute thinking about it there'd be many more Americanisations of AFL I could post...

Oh will someone please think of the children!!!!!

How about we turn our elite sporting competitions in this country to be co-ed sporting competitions. That way there is no discrimination at all. And when a large male almost kills a small female on the field in what is surely to be a horrible sight, we can relax in the knowledge that we aren't being discriminating. :thumbsdown:

Attending football matches is a past-time enjoyed by Australians of all walks of life. No point marketing it towards one demographic.

You really need to stop living in a dream world.

There are unlimited interchanges, quarters, an All-American/Australian team who plays no-one, a draft, holding up the onfield game to play ads on tv, players who crassly celebrate every single goal like they scored a touchdown in the XFL, constant referee interruption (ever noticed how often you hear the whistle in a game?), franchises run by corporates with no homegrounds, the league is so centralised it'd make US sports blush (how many teams are directly or indirectly run by the AFL now?), etc.

I'm sure if I spent more than a minute thinking about it there'd be many more Americanisations of AFL I could post...

The only one you have listed that is remotely linked to Americanisation is the franchises comment. It is a part of the game required for it to grow in the modern coporate sport environment. The other mentions are simply co-incidence or added because of other circumstances.
You can say football is evolving, but it is certainly not becoming more American.

Unpopular opinion... none of Essendon, Richmond, nor North have (on what we've seen to this point) any strong claim on finals. One or two may get in, but they'd need to show a hell of a lot more than what we've seen.
Not convinced Richmond are in the sort of shape where they can afford to give so many list spots to 26+yo pluggers from other sides, either.

i dont think you can call 3 players 'so many'. they replaced conners,graham and webberley who were spuds or eff heads.

Attending football matches is a past-time enjoyed by Australians of all walks of life. No point marketing it towards one demographic.

Exactly, that's why we shouldn't dis-include people & while cheerleaders should and will stay.

The 'big 4' is a crock of s**t propelled by insecure Victorian ****wits.

Says a supporter of weagles-lite.

How you can be in a two team city, but still be a third rate club baffles me.

Says a supporter of weagles-lite.

How you can be in a two team city, but still be a third rate club baffles me.

LOL...that actually stings a little. If anyone knows about third rate clubs it's a ninthmond flog.

Enjoy missing the finals again next year pal.

Also- how much does it burn that we could buy your pathetic club and keep it for a pet? Hope you sell some more home games next year....everybody needs something to laugh at.

The 'big 4' is a crock of s**t propelled by insecure Victorian ****wits.

What exactly is the defining criteria of 'big 4' status anyway? Is it supporter/membership base, profits, crowds, or on-field success?

It really is difficult to gauge who is a 'big 4' club, if the term even has any relevance in modern day football. To me, it's just something used by supporters of historically successful and powerful clubs to pump up their tires.

The 'big 4' stuff is (as you put it) meaningless and nothing but a dick-measuring contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there should be a national reserves competition, with every AFL team having a reserve team in this competition. I also think it should be performed at a grassroots level (small stadiums) and that the AFL should pump some serious money into it.

Furthermore I think the AFL should abolish the draft and instate permanent free agency for kids yet to be on an AFL list. However the AFL should keep the salary cap to curb the chances of an EPL like situation.

The first part I like but it's a bit hard, considering the number of top-up players that are in each team. E.G The Brisbane Lions reserves had kids who were still in school playing for us, fair enough they'd get more exposure for themselves in terms of getting drafted but let's say Brisbane Lions Reserves Vs West Coast Eagles Reserves in W.A on a Sunday, those kids would then have to fly back on a sunday night and try and get to school on a Monday and realistically the QLD kids have not a lot of hope of getting drafted or if we decided that our top-up players should be mature age players, the same argument applies. How would these guys get back from W.A at 11 pm on a sunday night and expect to go to work in the morning and really whats in it for them? The chances of a mature age QLD player unless Zorkoesque, getting drafted is even lower. Does that mean we'd have to start paying these top up players to play?

The second part, I do not agree with at all. That means kids could pick and choose where they wanted to play, basically turning it into a zone selection. Why would Lachie Whitfield go to Brisbane or Fremantle or Port Adelaide, none of those teams are going to win the premiership next year, none of them are close to home, he'd choose Hawthorn, Geelong etc. Eventually the big victorian teams would become superpowers and the interstate teams would get scraps that these teams couldn't fit into their list. For your team Geelong it would be brilliant, you would be a real chance to get Whitfield, O'Rourke, Plowman, Stringer, O'Rourke, MacRae, Wines, Vlastuin, Daniher, Jaksch, Corr etc. While Brisbane would get Boston, Coleman-Broome, Aliir. As I said there'd be no reason that Whitfield, O'Rourke, Wines etc. would want to come to Brisbane, we're not a superpower plus we're interstate so mummy and daddy can't hold their hand anymore. Sure we'd give them an offer but why would they come?

Mike Sheahan is a knob. He tries to present himself as some omniscient godfather of Aussie Rules... but really he's just a fu*kwit.

Essendon will have one of the best midfields next year.

I don't like the finals system. Titles should be handed out for consistency, not who peaks at the right time of year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back