Best regional city (non-capital) in Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Geelong has improved (really like that has been done around the waterfront) but still has a ways to go. Bendigo is the best regional city in Victoria for mine

Newcastle, IMO. The 15 years since the steelworks closed have been pretty good to the place. Big enough and far enough away from Sydney to have its own identity.

i've got numerous friends from up in newcastle and having been back a couple of times in 2012 the place is really hurting now. they've all pretty much moved down to sydney. walk through town centre and just about every second shop is closed down. i'm not really sure what happened.

when i first started hanging around these guys about 4 years ago the place was a great place to go and visit.

wollongong has copped it too. was there for a mate playing a gig mid year and same deal - just about every second shop boarded up. people with no jobs.

both towns are very picturesque and it's a bit of a shame really.

bathurst sounds like hole, probably is a hole in reality, but if you're in you're early 20's and wanna have a good time, it is (at least it was 2006-2009, incidentally where i met my newcastle friends) as good as university town as you could hope for. having a campus that was heavily focused on teaching, dramatic arts and nursing (i.e. female dominate pursuits) was a massive bonus. the place is loose as *, booze is cheap and there was pub nights every night of the week.

Cairns but a country mile.awesome place.

yes cairns is off the wall. place is absolutely mental.

the theory me and my mates have is that it's typically either the first or last place for backpackers to hit before the finish their east coast tour. so regardless of which one they're cutting loose in either direction.

the courthouse is the best beer garden in australia. they were still doing $2.50 pots of carlton till 6pm when i was there about 15 months ago. and $3 corona's as their standard price.

there was also a ******* wicked microbrewery on the same street. typically it was quite expensive, but they were doing a deal on sundays for 10 dollar jugs off each of their brews. they're pilsener is one of the best i've ever had. i'll find it out.

Bendigo's a great city - big enough to have all the services, but still easy enough to get around and the old buildings littered around makes it pretty cool.

yes cairns is off the wall. place is absolutely mental.

the theory me and my mates have is that it's typically either the first or last place for backpackers to hit before the finish their east coast tour. so regardless of which one they're cutting loose in either direction.

the courthouse is the best beer garden in australia. they were still doing $2.50 pots of carlton till 6pm when i was there about 15 months ago. and $3 corona's as their standard price.

there was also a ******* wicked microbrewery on the same street. typically it was quite expensive, but they were doing a deal on sundays for 10 dollar jugs off each of their brews. they're pilsener is one of the best i've ever had. i'll find it out.

ya the backpackers have a mighty time in cairns hehe.
rsl on the esplanade does a good cheap feed and beer as well.

the salt house awesome seafood and views, cheap meals for locals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fremantle is a great place that has stagnated. The harbour, the cappucino strip, the markets (which have improved dramatically in the last 12 months), the pubs etc are all great features but there are too many dead zones where progress has been halted to the detriment of the city. Plans are afoot to upgrade the central part of town when Myer closes and I look forward to that.

Fremantle isn't a regional city it's a ******* suburb of Perth.

are you trollin?

Lived in Newcastle its horrible,a bit like a big Gladstone but with safer fishing but more broken shop windows and groups of bogans doing burnouts
I could live in Townsville,Airley,Bowen or Cairns
whats newcastle like to live in? ive lived in gladstone for a short while and it was ok, but ill leave it at that
airley is a town that doesn't get mentions very often but its very beautiful and the nite life is great

Geelong is alright, but Not my thing, Imagine a costal town wasted in Victoria, thats how i feel

Margret river as someone pointed out, Beutiful place

The population of the Margaret River region is less than 10,000, so it's hardly a city.

WA only really has Mandurah (which is becoming outer suburban Perth), Bunbury, Kalgoorlie-Boulder & Geraldton (perhaps Albany also) as proper regional centres. Even the centres in the Pilbara and Kimberley only have small permanent populations.

Albury is where its at!

Not a bad little town. But the drug scene is rife, and it takes a brave (or stupid) man to walk from one end of the main street to the other on a Saturday night.

The area right outside the 24 hour Pizza Shop sees so many blues, that a resident once called it 'the octagon'.

Katoomba in the Blue Mountains. Great place with mix of bohemian charm, weatherboard cottages everywhere and great scenery. The best part is the fact that the hoardes of tourists get ferried to Echo Point which hangs out over the escarpment and is where the 3 Sisters are - ie, you don't see too many of them in the town itself. Worst part is the bitter winter weather

Can i talk about Bunbury? Had to go down to the town due to work

Imagine a bunch of hot 19 year old girls walking around in short shorts and bellybuttons showing

Now imagine if that 19 year old girl was a 43 year old terminally obese hairy man, With a bunch of shitty home done tattoo's

Freaking neck tattoo capital of the world i would wager. God damn

Can i talk about Bunbury? Had to go down to the town due to work

Imagine a bunch of hot 19 year old girls walking around in short shorts and bellybuttons showing

Now imagine if that 19 year old girl was a 43 year old terminally obese hairy man, With a bunch of shitty home done tattoo's

Freaking neck tattoo capital of the world i would wager. God damn
Isn't it a shithole?

Not to do the Bruce Rhetoric, but it's one of the worst places in WA. A different kind of bogan to Mandurah, but still a pretty unbearable one. Makes the South West look like a hub of excitement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back