Best regional city (non-capital) in Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Shellharbour is horrible. Acres of housing estates, as far as the eye can see. Endless little boxes made of ticky tacky.

I like Wollongong's northern suburbs, but the city itself is a bit unpleasant. People compare it to Newcastle but it's much smaller, the heavy industry is far more prominent, and there are a lot more socioeconomic problems. When I lived there about a decade ago youth unemployment was upwards of 40%.

had a three day weekend a month ago in Launceston.

Gotta admit i was very pleasantly surprised - mind you i had great weather. Staying at a hotel overlooking the marina which was very pleasant. Town has some very nice older restored buildings and the way cool design centre. 35 mins drive i was in the heart of the Tamar valley wine and produce area. took a short drive to Deloraine, waht a gorgeous liittle town that is.

I have travelled a lot around this country , and i would say my trip to Launy really impressed.

had a three day weekend a month ago in Launceston.

Gotta admit i was very pleasantly surprised - mind you i had great weather. Staying at a hotel overlooking the marina which was very pleasant. Town has some very nice older restored buildings and the way cool design centre. 35 mins drive i was in the heart of the Tamar valley wine and produce area. took a short drive to Deloraine, waht a gorgeous liittle town that is.

I have travelled a lot around this country , and i would say my trip to Launy really impressed.

Most of Tasmania is truly underrated imo, have only been there during January, can imagine it appeal alot less around april ect

Launy and Hobart appeal to me

Most of Tasmania is truly underrated imo, have only been there during January, can imagine it appeal alot less around april ect

Launy and Hobart appeal to me

If your into snow and colder weather, that's a great time to visit.
Check out Mt. Wellington and Cradle Mountain in the snow.

Shellharbour is horrible. Acres of housing estates, as far as the eye can see. Endless little boxes made of ticky tacky.

I like Wollongong's northern suburbs, but the city itself is a bit unpleasant. People compare it to Newcastle but it's much smaller, the heavy industry is far more prominent, and there are a lot more socioeconomic problems. When I lived there about a decade ago youth unemployment was upwards of 40%.
Hhaha, I live in Wollongong's northern suburbs and they are amazing but yes, you are right, the city is horrible. I'm only 18 but once I get the money and the job I really want I will be moving interstate because I don't particularly like New South Wales as a whole.

It's only a town, but Margaret River for me. Beautiful laid back atmosphere, great beaches, wineries, restaurants. I guess I am including in this all of the areas close by that are not necessarily in MR itself, but are part of the experience of being down there.

I have never lived in Albany, but always enjoy staying there. I imagine growing up there can be limiting.

Fremantle is a great place that has stagnated. The harbour, the cappucino strip, the markets (which have improved dramatically in the last 12 months), the pubs etc are all great features but there are too many dead zones where progress has been halted to the detriment of the city. Plans are afoot to upgrade the central part of town when Myer closes and I look forward to that.

Hhaha, I live in Wollongong's northern suburbs and they are amazing but yes, you are right, the city is horrible. I'm only 18 but once I get the money and the job I really want I will be moving interstate because I don't particularly like New South Wales as a whole.

I dont know what it is, but every single time I have been to Wollongong (atleast a score), I have gotten a headache. I think it's a mixture of the air quality, the layout of the inner-city, etc, I just feel nauseated whenever I have been there. It's weird. So for that reason, I would never live there.

Gladstone FTW

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fremantle is a great place that has stagnated. The harbour, the cappucino strip, the markets (which have improved dramatically in the last 12 months), the pubs etc are all great features but there are too many dead zones where progress has been halted to the detriment of the city. Plans are afoot to upgrade the central part of town when Myer closes and I look forward to that.
I wouldn't call Freo a regional town, just as I wouldn't call Geelong or the Gold Coast one. I wasn't around in the Americas Cup days, but a working class town could never sustain a huge buzz like that. What are they actually doing to the old Myers building?

I think people overestimate the fall of Fremantle. It is still the best part of Perth. I'd love Freo to be reinvigorated, but man, that council absolutely shoot themselves in the foot. They charge too much rent for space (in a fairly bad economic climate, with online trading being huge) and feel fine to wave away their flagship advertiser: The Dockers. The old man gets a bit sentimental around those fig trees, so I really hope it becomes a lot more thriving: Perth needs its a bit of a hub like that, I dunno, something resembling the inner north of Melbs (not to sound like a douche). I just don't know, the character of the place and the West End can't go to waste.

I wouldn't call Freo a regional town, just as I wouldn't call Geelong or the Gold Coast one. I wasn't around in the Americas Cup days, but a working class town could never sustain a huge buzz like that. What are they actually doing to the old Myers building?

I think people overestimate the fall of Fremantle. It is still the best part of Perth. I'd love Freo to be reinvigorated, but man, that council absolutely shoot themselves in the foot. They charge too much rent for space (in a fairly bad economic climate, with online trading being huge) and feel fine to wave away their flagship advertiser: The Dockers. The old man gets a bit sentimental around those fig trees, so I really hope it becomes a lot more thriving: Perth needs its a bit of a hub like that, I dunno, something resembling the inner north of Melbs (not to sound like a douche). I just don't know, the character of the place and the West End can't go to waste.

I largely agree with what you say. It is the best part of the metro area, but could be a lot better.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/14849220/hotel-to-replace-myer/

Mornington is pretty good.

*may or may not be due to the fact I'm from there
It's also not a city, large town maybe but at least a step below city. Frankston would be a city, and if you excise North Frankston a pretty ok one.

What Mornington needs to be a city would be the Mornington line recommissioned (With stops at the back of Mt Eliza, the Mt Eliza side of Bungower rd and behind the Nepean Hwy) and to add a tram/light rail line along the Nepean highway connecting Mt Eliza and Mt Martha and perhaps another lightrail/tramlink starting at the end of main street and going all the way to Tyabb with stops near the Racecourse and Mooroduc connecting Mornington to the other side of the peninsula, Mornington-Tyabb road would need to be made dual carriageway to at least the Hwy.

First things first though is needs to get as much of the Mornington line back as it can.

Depends what you count as a city. I usually regard anything smaller than Darwin (130k) as a town. By that criteria you have about 6 regional cities - Newcastle, Wollongong, Townsville, Cairns, Gold Coast and Geelong.

I guess its a bit of an arbitrary cutoff, but once you get too much below that then you start to get to a population level that doesn't require much heavy transport infrastructure, doesn't have peak hour traffic problems, etc. which makes them a fundamentally different beast.

Depends what you count as a city. I usually regard anything smaller than Darwin (130k) as a town. By that criteria you have about 6 regional cities - Newcastle, Wollongong, Townsville, Cairns, Gold Coast and Geelong.

I guess its a bit of an arbitrary cutoff, but once you get too much below that then you start to get to a population level that doesn't require much heavy transport infrastructure,
doesn't have peak hour traffic problems, etc. which makes them a fundamentally different beast.

Toowoomba is a city.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back