Mega Thread 2013 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

A player that has gone under the radar for me is Forster. He looked like he didn’t have the same fitness base as others on the track however today looked to have a real spring in his step and did some really good kicks to advantage. He pushed back and forward and looked excellent.

Michie is starting to show a real presence at training and is a solid player who may not be in anyone’s 22 but looks like he may give it a shake later in the season. Both he and Forster have come along way from their injuries and are really finding their feet.

Forster and Pitt both did quite well in match sims. Pitt looks to have significantly improved his contested footy work and is throwing his body around Matty De Boer style. Forster showed a good turn of pace and was really enthusiatic in the whole session. Michie was solid, but still has a lot of work to do on his fitness. The comment by De Boer I think was more a comment to show that the club has faith in Michie, rather than an accurate comment that he is dominating training.
Bravo - our 2013 Norm Smith medallist there.

Sorry guys cant agree on Forsters improved form
He was involved in one on one marking with the defender group and was pushed offline and outmarked in all contests.Still has a longway to go strengthwise

Boo. Burn the heretic. Are you sure you're not an Eagles supporter? Possibly Ross Glendinning? That's the deserved 2013 Norm Smith medallist you're talking smack about.

Great write up fellas.

I'd also like to add I'm loving how vocal Son Son is every time I head to training. He is always giving advice to everyone and I can see a leadership role for him in the future.

The only missing players were Pav, Mora, Bradley, Neale, De boer, Crowley and Sutcliffe.

You sure? I'm certain I saw him out there at one stage during the session.

I was at training today. What struck me *and Ollie (my staunch but silent training watching buddy) was the lack of standouts on the track. Not that no one was impressive but rather everyone was impressive. It used to that you would groan at the shanks and dropped marks and someone like Hill appeared as a God, now it was 20 minutes in before I even noticed Hill as the general standard of ball movement is so clean and classy.
The guys did circle work before splitting into forwards, mids and backs.
Sheridan worked with the forwards and showed impressive aerial ability, good body work and judgement overhead. He out marked Spurr easily a couple of times from balls kicked in by Rodger the Dodger (who incidentally has been in a pretty decent paddock!)
Keeritön was with the defensive group and looks a willing defender, perhaps has aptitude on that area?
McPharlin is an aristocrat now, royalty IMO. So professional, so good at everything. Johnson and Duffield are in beautiful nick, their ball handling and disposal is simply top class. Ibbotson I believe will have another quiet, clean, unfussy, effective year and get bagged for it no end.
Taberner moves well and has a nice kick but having had a closer look today he is way undersized and raw to play senior footy this year as a KPP. I actually thought Howson was more impressive today, good mover and kick of the footy. Hannath is a massive unit and looks ready to go. Moller is a very impressive athlete, moves beautifully, his ball handling is super impressive (basketball skills) and he kicks it really nicely.
In the mid group Fyfe was a clear standout. He just positions himself better than anyone else, reads it better and his fast muscle twitch sees him react that split second faster than anyone else. He won more ball than the next best by a street.
Clancy was good around the packs. He is a human gristle node. Mzungu covers more ground than anyone and did a lot of receiving.
Michie, as has been mentioned looks very determined. He's an unknown really at this point but appears to have all the tools to be a strong inside mid.
Barlow and Mundy are both fit and hopefully set for big years. Mick's kicking can be a bit up and under but his hands (and the ability to get them free in congestion) are as good as anyone's.
Hill just glided around punching holes in traffic and delivering lace out passes as he does.
It was good to see Balla and Sonny working as pure forwards. They are going to cause some serious havoc this year. Sonny was very vocal, running really hard to good positions and of course his use of the ball is first rate.
Sandi took some nice marks when positioned forward, didn't really notice much of Griff or Clarke today, there is only so much you can take in.
Special mention to Simpson. His athletic ability and grace is very special and his fast muscle twitch is off the chart. His reactions are catlike. On a couple of occasions he marked in the air and did this little twist in mid air so he was facing the direction he wanted to kick in when he hit the ground. On one occasion I noticed just as he was about to drop the ball he realised he was a touch of target so dropped the ball at a slight angle and turned his foot as he was bringing it though the kick to direct it off centre and hit his target lace out. Exquisite.
Olly and I burst out laughing at one passage of play between Fyfe and Simpson. Someone kicked it to Fyfe and it looked for all money to be going over his head then at the last moment Fyfe appeared to levitate and easily marked it and kicked it neatly on to Simpson who did his little mid air shimmy hit the deck at full pace and drilled a perfect pass downfield. Pure poetry.
Overall a very encouraging session for the faithful. Skills/fitness are high and the group are no doubt aware of the pressure for spots and the mood seems positive and aggressive.

Thanks for the training reports guys. Just wanted to expand on this point more -

In the match sims Sandy and D.Pearce continue to dominate. Sandy took some awesome marks in the forward line. It is clear to me that the reason Sandy hasnt worked in the forward line in the past had a lot more to do with our delivery skills than his ability to take a mark. When Pearce, Suban, Hill or Sutcliffe have kicked long and accurately to him he has dominated up forward this preseason.

Do you think it has anything to do with our defenders not doing anything illegal during a training session? During a match, Sandi seems to get his arms chopped a bit and the umpires let a lot of it go. Seems like they are subconsciously trying to even things up a bit, like umpiring little league. I just hope he can do it during a match as the delivery will also probably be not as good as training due to the pressure.

Olly and I burst out laughing at one passage of play between Fyfe and Simpson. Someone kicked it to Fyfe and it looked for all money to be going over his head then at the last moment Fyfe appeared to levitate and easily marked it and kicked it neatly on to Simpson who did his little mid air shimmy hit the deck at full pace and drilled a perfect pass downfield. Pure poetry.

With both hands I presume? No signs of issues extending the bad shoulder fully then?

You should write (Dockers related) poetry Shed.
Lol, yeah maybe. I played bass on Jordo's purple album of all Dockers themed songs. We made the news a few years ago with the "We Hate You" song about the Eagles.
I find it a little concerning that a weed like Sheridan (no offense intended) could out mark Spurr when most here (including me) have him pigeon-holed as our lock-down small defender for this year.
Sheridan has put on a lot of muscle and is taller than Spurr. The guys aren't going hammer and tongs, they are trying out body positions and outmanoeuvring each other. I have no doubt Spurr would have been going a lot harder in the real thing.
With both hands I presume? No signs of issues extending the bad shoulder fully then?
Yes both hands, no sign of stress at all. did it easy (like he does everything).

Thanks to all - what coverage.

Really looking forward to seeing what Michie and Forster can become. Both had great junior write ups. Hopefully they will push the A grade status in their careers.

Also how much weight Suban has lost! Watched the interview with him he looks completely different.

I find it a little concerning that a weed like Sheridan (no offense intended) could out mark Spurr when most here (including me) have him pigeon-holed as our lock-down small defender for this year.
He may be built like one, but Sheridan is 81kg and only 2kg lighter than Spurr. Perhaps his footy smarts may have to do with a bit of it, reading the play. I'm looking at it as a credit to Sheridan rather than a debit to Lee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there anywhere where that song is available E Shed? I know there is a youtube vid with we still hate you...
I have it somewhere on CD. I can email you or put it on soundcloud or something if you are really keen. There are actually much better songs than that on the CD. I'll ask Jordo if she's uploaded it anywhere and get back to you.

I was at training today. What struck me *and Ollie (my staunch but silent training watching buddy) was the lack of standouts on the track. Not that no one was impressive but rather everyone was impressive. It used to that you would groan at the shanks and dropped marks and someone like Hill appeared as a God, now it was 20 minutes in before I even noticed Hill as the general standard of ball movement is so clean and classy.
The guys did circle work before splitting into forwards, mids and backs.
Sheridan worked with the forwards and showed impressive aerial ability, good body work and judgement overhead. He out marked Spurr easily a couple of times from balls kicked in by Rodger the Dodger (who incidentally has been in a pretty decent paddock!)
Keeritön was with the defensive group and looks a willing defender, perhaps has aptitude on that area?
McPharlin is an aristocrat now, royalty IMO. So professional, so good at everything. Johnson and Duffield are in beautiful nick, their ball handling and disposal is simply top class. Ibbotson I believe will have another quiet, clean, unfussy, effective year and get bagged for it no end.
Taberner moves well and has a nice kick but having had a closer look today he is way undersized and raw to play senior footy this year as a KPP. I actually thought Howson was more impressive today, good mover and kick of the footy. Hannath is a massive unit and looks ready to go. Moller is a very impressive athlete, moves beautifully, his ball handling is super impressive (basketball skills) and he kicks it really nicely.
In the mid group Fyfe was a clear standout. He just positions himself better than anyone else, reads it better and his fast muscle twitch sees him react that split second faster than anyone else. He won more ball than the next best by a street.
Clancy was good around the packs. He is a human gristle node. Mzungu covers more ground than anyone and did a lot of receiving.
Michie, as has been mentioned looks very determined. He's an unknown really at this point but appears to have all the tools to be a strong inside mid.
Barlow and Mundy are both fit and hopefully set for big years. Mick's kicking can be a bit up and under but his hands (and the ability to get them free in congestion) are as good as anyone's.
Hill just glided around punching holes in traffic and delivering lace out passes as he does.
It was good to see Balla and Sonny working as pure forwards. They are going to cause some serious havoc this year. Sonny was very vocal, running really hard to good positions and of course his use of the ball is first rate.
Sandi took some nice marks when positioned forward, didn't really notice much of Griff or Clarke today, there is only so much you can take in.
Special mention to Simpson. His athletic ability and grace is very special and his fast muscle twitch is off the chart. His reactions are catlike. On a couple of occasions he marked in the air and did this little twist in mid air so he was facing the direction he wanted to kick in when he hit the ground. On one occasion I noticed just as he was about to drop the ball he realised he was a touch of target so dropped the ball at a slight angle and turned his foot as he was bringing it though the kick to direct it off centre and hit his target lace out. Exquisite.
Overall a very encouraging session for the faithful. Skills/fitness are high and the group are no doubt aware of the pressure for spots and the mood seems positive and aggressive.

Felt like I just went to the movies.

Great write ups. It always impresses me the quality of our write ups especially compared to what they get on that other board.

All things being equal I'll see you at training on Friday.

He may be built like one, but Sheridan is 81kg and only 2kg lighter than Spurr. Perhaps his footy smarts may have to do with a bit of it, reading the play. I'm looking at it as a credit to Sheridan rather than a debit to Lee.

Yep that's fair enough, to be honest I feel the need to look for some negatives to keep expectations grounded, very difficult though when reading about the almost supernatural efforts of Simpson/Fyfe/Hill/Walters etc.

That mid-air pirouette from Simpson sounds ridiculous.

Yes both hands, no sign of stress at all. did it easy (like he does everything).

Fyfe's view of the world must be different. Everything happening in slow motion like a Matrix movie, while he causally plucks the ball out of the air, assesses his options and makes the decision. Remember Fyfe, there is no spoon!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back