Review Round 5 vs Collingwood - 46 point victory (93,373) [In depth post match analysis]

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood were pretty sloppy in front of goal and had very poor disposal today, "Hand it over" Harry with his typical form - how does this dud keep getting games every week?

Fantastic win, James Hird's speech at the end was great stuff as well - he was close to tearing up.

Collingwood were pretty sloppy in front of goal and had very poor disposal today, "Hand it over" Harry with his typical form - how does this dud keep getting games every week?

Fantastic win, James Hird's speech at the end was great stuff as well - he was close to tearing up.

At the end it looked as though he was going to say something along the lines of: "we'll be fine" but just couldn't spit the words out because of the investigation. That was my thoughts anyway, anyone else pick up on that?

Had so many Collingwood supporters saying the pies were just terrible in front of goal. Well we scored 13 points as well. Make two of your points goals and its still a 34 point win. Very happy with the win, bout time we beat the Pies. Geelong our next big test. And hope that Carlisle is fine.

My first ANZAC day win, was great to be there to experience it:thumbsu:

Was going to write a big review on each and every player. But f**k it. Nothing else needs to be said. What a great f**king win.

On the Collingwood board they've posted a whinge thread on the umpiring which has poll. Its open to everyone so get over there and vote.

* that, we were destroyed by the umpires in the first half. Turned around after half time, so all's fair in the end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the Collingwood board they've posted a whinge thread on the umpiring which has poll. Its open to everyone so get over there and vote.

The push against Reid was a shocker. But Swan being allowed as long as he wanted and then to be able to incorrectly dispose of it in any manner of his choosing all day, was terrible. Aside from that I thought it was reasonably well umpired. A lot of little stuff was allowed to go on, and then didn't fall for a lot of ducking.

Tell them to suck it up. Sure that Bellchambers goal was a mistake but overall Collingwood well and truly got the rub of the green.

I don't want to (slightly) rain on the parade, but I will...

I didn't think we were that impressive today. Skills were average. EVERYBODY (rather than just Davey) had the fumbles. Some very lucky goals. And 10 mins into the last quarter, it was still anybody's game. To be honest, I didn't think we were going to run it out. So to me, THAT was the most impressive thing for me today... the fact that we DID. I'm glad I was wrong. :)

But there were a few times - the most obvious being in the 2nd quarter - where we had no answer to Collingwood's forward pressure, and simply couldn't get it past half-back. We looked 2nd-rate during those patches.

On top of that, a few lucky free kicks at the right times... massive in context of where/when in the game they were IMO... and the fact that Collingwood left their kicking boots at home...

I'm not as impressed by a 46-point ANZAC Day win as I should be.

The good, however:

- Zaka. I've been on the fence about him until today. Great, solid midfielder, with sublime skills. I'm converted. (I still think he's selfish though)

- Hibberd. We've picked up an absolute beauty here. He's been fantastic so far this year. Fast becoming my favourite player.

- Heppell. Not his best game this year, but seems to have taken 2 steps up this year as well.

- Baguley. I love him. Hard. Makes every contest difficult for his opponent.

- Gumby. Not as good as last week, but * it's just good to see him out there. He'll take mark of the year some day.

- Merrett. Has composure, skills, and even a little bit of X-factor? (perhaps needs to work on his bouncing... hehe) I like him. A lot.

- The fact that we had no Hurley or Fletch. Plus NLM, Melksham (who is playing much better this year), Pears, Myers only played a quarter, JD, etc...

As I said, I'm not as impressed as I should be... but still great signs. Our first real test against a top 4 side this year, in which we didn't play all that well IMO...

... and we still passed it by 46 points. :)

Most of the usual suspects were in our best players, but how good was Winderlich? Almost every touch turned to gold, with many of those leading to scoring chains. This year has been a fantastic ride so far!

I don't want to (slightly) rain on the parade, but I will...

I didn't think we were that impressive today. Skills were average.

<snip>

It was a very scrappy game last year as well. ANZAC Day off a short break is a game where you just need to get a very hard fought 4 points. There's no prizes for style on that day, it's just about gutsing it out and getting a win. Which is probably fitting for the occasion really.

I don't particularly like analysing this game because it's not a normal set of circumstances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back