Umpiring [vs Eagles Mega Thread]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys Selwood's free was paid against SWALLOW for high. Not Adams. It just reinforces what we already knew. The umpires were looking for something that wasnt there.

I'm gutted but we will use this as ammo to annihilate any team that gets in our way of success from here on end. We have some amazing times ahead north fans and we'll look back at losses like this as moments which defined us.

I'm done with the AFL after that.

I'm sure i'm not alone.

All season i've been finding it increasingly difficult to give a shit. It's officially the world's most poorly officiated professional sport now. Umpires are literally deciding which team wins.

I love North Melbourne. I will to the day I die.

But the AFL as a brand? As a competition? It can get screwed.

I for one will be 'voting with my wallet'.

Too many rule changes. The game has gone soft. The umpires are increasingly atrocious. Players are getting rewarded for ducking, lowering the head, diving (and yes, that includes LT)...

Not worth the time or emotional energy spent watching it these days.

I totally know where you are coming from. I was saying all of the above after tonights loss. We just have to continue these electrifying starts and get out to such a big lead that umpires become insignificant in future games.

Apart from the art of ducking for frees, the holding the ball decisions given when some clearly delusional ball player decides to do what he is trained to do, being take possession, only to be tackled to the ground, arms and ball held in and under by about sixteen other blokes mostly opposition players, and he is lying in there gasping for breath. And the umpire blows his whistle, pays the free against him and then says " you've got to make an attempt".

Even Houdini would be completely stuffed these days if he was playing football.

And we are supposed to enjoy watching that?

Whats happening to the game I love and why is the spirit if the game allowed, no encouraged, to be compromised bt those who are supposed to uphold its integrity?

F***ing disgraceful.

Yes we received a very good run against Port. But what relevance does that have to tonights game? None.

You obviously watched a very different game to what I watched. And judging by what I have read here from a number of neutral supporters, to what they also watched tonight.

In my view tonights umpiring display demeaned our game. And it happens far too often as far as I am concerned. And it demeans (some of) the players who put on the display each week.

If we looked only at the last free to Selwood, it was soft at best and really won only through ducking. How much better if he had won that free on merit (and it had been the only poor decision for the night) if we had nothing else to lament, grudgingly, but the magnificent mark and then goal under prssures by Natanui. Instead that part of the game is lost because of the skocking umpiring display tonight.

What part of my posts where I say the umpiring is shit or we got a bad run in the last 5 or so minutes do you not understand?

However, WE CAN'T CONTROL THAT!

What we can control is icing the game so the crowd doesn't get the umpires worked up into a frenzy. What we can control is picking our best team. What we can control is get to the ball first so we don't have to rely on tackles, kill contests properly. We failed fundamentally across many different areas we had control over and that opened the door for the umpires to influence the result.

That is shit we can control.

I am the same. I love North and yet have totally lost interest in the AFL as a competition. Unfair draws, crap umpiring etc etc. I have watched 1 grand final in 8 years and do not watch any footy except North games. I can not walk away from North but had we gone interstate or failed to exist anymore I would not follow AFL at all.

What we can control is icing the game so the crowd doesn't get the umpires worked up into a frenzy. What we can control is picking our best team. What we can control is get to the ball first so we don't have to rely on tackles, kill contests properly. We failed fundamentally across many different areas we had control over and that opened the door for the umpires to influence the result.

That is shit we can control.

Agree with that.

We're getting there, we've almost arrived - it's just that we're still on the tarmac after touching down and it's taking us 3 hours to be let off the plane.

And amazingly enough captain obvious Dermie was ripping into LT post game for giving away a free 80m down field for taking a dive even after watching the video.

Not sure that is even in the rule book.

I stopped at Dermie.

As a whole I agree AFL is becoming harder to watch, a couple of years ago I would be more then happy to sit down and the game as a neutral but I usually last about 2 minutes before I throw my hands up in the air at something that disgusts me. If something doesn't majorily change in the next couple of years I'll give up the game forever. If it wasn't for this great club of ours I wouldn't give a stuff.

Get rid of Vlad and Giesch!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Black non-mark was farcical. And extremely costly.

They called touched off the boot and the WCE players hands were atleast 10 inches away from the ball when attempting a smother. The sound of a slap on to Harveys boot was enough to trick the umpire into thinking it was touched but unless your a 100% sure it was then shouldn't have called it. I can't see how an umpire can 100% know it was touched if it clearly wasn't.

Even a mate of mine, who works for the Dockers, could see it coming.
He texted me at 3-4 time. "Hope the umps don't kill North when the crowd gets involved".
Then midway through last: "You can just tell they are going to influence the game."
And finally: "Oh my god, Selwood free kick a disgrace."

They called touched off the boot and the WCE players hands were atleast 10 inches away from the ball when attempting a smother. The sound of a slap on to Harveys boot was enough to trick the umpire into thinking it was touched but unless your a 100% sure it was then shouldn't have called it. I can't see how an umpire can 100% know it was touched if it clearly wasn't.
Happens 20 times a game, ball nearly gets touched, unless it is clear it is not paid.
And then they pluck that out halfway through the last term. Dear god help us all.

I thought this thread was about the naita mark.

When the kick went forward and i saw naitanui at the back of that pack.

I thought 'here we go, time for a naitanui speccy' :rolleyes:

There were three decisions I'm absolutely fuming about.

1. The Ryan Bastinac advantage decision where there was no advantage and a blind man could see that Basti didn't want to play on. That cost a shot on goal.

2. The free kick to Kennedy against Thompson on the wing. Thompson was clearly in front and there was no way he could have infringed. West Coast scored a goal with a mark from that kick.

3. The Black mark that was called touched when it was clearly not touched. Cost North a certain goal and totally shifted the momentum of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back