Mega Thread Freo say no to Buddy

Remove this Banner Ad

Contrary to opinion, that's actually not what a hipster looks like. At all.
I spend enough time in the inner city and the music industry to be vaguely familiar with the look. Wellingham usually seems to be going for some variation of it but perhaps its just him being "fashionable".
120801_segmenttwo246.jpg

They are a little bit hipster. Hipsters, generally speaking, a ruled by irony and 'anti cool'. For example bow ties aren't cool, so I'll wear one, VB isn't cool, so I'll drink it. Beards aren't cool, etc. Their challenge comes when something becomes cool such as pear cider and then moving on to something else.
They wear Cardigans, not Ed Hardy. Although in the not to distant future, Ed Hardy may, through its shear ugliness become so despised that it in turn may be ironic enough to be cool.
Get it?

Not really like that. That's just looking like a massive douche. Your smugness and condescending attitude isn't warranted here, dad, considering everyone on here says I'm one.

It's their speech that defines them .....I like to say 'hey I was into global warming before it was cool', I then carefully watch to see if they laugh (non-hipster) or if they ride off on their vintage girls push bike with vintage jeans tucked into their socks (potential hipster alert).

They are a little bit hipster. Hipsters, generally speaking, a ruled by irony and 'anti cool'. For example bow ties aren't cool, so I'll wear one, VB isn't cool, so I'll drink it. Beards aren't cool, etc. Their challenge comes when something becomes cool such as pear cider and then moving on to something else.
They wear Cardigans, not Ed Hardy. Although in the not to distant future, Ed Hardy may, through its shear ugliness become so despised that it in turn may be ironic enough to be cool.
Get it?
its not a difficult concept to grasp and really you can just go have a drink at the Scotto of an evening if you want to see hipsters in their natural environment. I just think SA prefers to keep his sense of superiority to us old guys intact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

here we go. is there anything more boring than someone calling someone else pretentious because of their haircut/beard/clothing/whatever?

anti fashion is still fashion. the reason hipsters don't identify as hipsters is because it's a juvenile and subjective term used by people who never let go of high school, moulded around their own particular insecurities, feelings of exclusion and pre-occupation with what other people do/wear/think. i really wish the general football community would drop their obsession with players haircuts. who honestly gives a shit? and why.

here we go. is there anything more boring than someone calling someone else pretentious because of their haircut/beard/clothing/whatever?

anti fashion is still fashion. the reason hipsters don't identify as hipsters is because it's a juvenile and subjective term used by people who never let go of high school, moulded around their own particular insecurities, feelings of exclusion and pre-occupation with what other people do/wear/think. i really wish the general football community would drop their obsession with players haircuts. who honestly gives a shit? and why.
I guess what I'm interested in with regards to the photo is two of the players Buddy is associated with have burned many bridges with the organisations they have played with, and it seems that posters on here believe that brining in a player who is maybe of similar character might not be the best thing for the culture of our club, especially given the financial cost. Sydney have apparently made many decisions on who to bring into their club based on what they 'do/wear/think' and the results speak for themselves.
The way a person presents themselves, the company they keep and their behaviour in general is very interesting if it is rumoured that our club could potentially spend millions to sign them as a player.
You are correct Coldlunch, the haircut discussion isn't that interesting, the discussion as a whole however, is.

^^^^
What he said. There is nothing wrong with young men caring about fashion - hair and clothes and the like - per se. I couldn't care less, literally how someone looks. But there is a sense with some players that they perhaps spend a little too much time worrying about thing other than football.

I live in what would have to be close to the hipster capital of the world outside of Williamsburg. They might dress a certain way, but they are quite harmless. Just a bit dirty and poor. They cause much less angst than hordes of bogans, rednecks, frat kids and douches.

I'm not sure any football players really are true hipsters. Might try to be, but they are more douches than anything.

You can tell the eagles are full of hipsters because they're rebelling against the mainstream institution of winning.

You can tell the eagles are full of hipsters because they're rebelling against the mainstream institution of winning.

But surely you guys were doing that before it was cool

Ross Lyon is such a dag

I live in what would have to be close to the hipster capital of the world outside of Williamsburg. They might dress a certain way, but they are quite harmless. Just a bit dirty and poor. They cause much less angst than hordes of bogans, rednecks, frat kids and douches.

I'm not sure any football players really are true hipsters. Might try to be, but they are more douches than anything.

I was about to post earlier - all you need to do is hang around Williamsburg a while. To stereotype the general look there - scruffy beard with combover, skinny colour-block jeans, cardigan, buddy holly glasses ... in summer it's boat shoes, straw hats, skinny shorts

As a Hawks supporter... I think if Buddy is to leave it won't be to GWS but he will land in FREO.

FREO have been non-existent in the Buddy talks (unlike Trav Cloke saga), Buddy is from WA, his best mate is in Perth... And Freo have proved how good they are at negotiating a deal without any suspicion (Mark Harvey sacking/Ross Lyon appointment).

Pfft from day 1 we were never in the hunt

He will stay at Hawks on 800k a year.
AFL will then throw in 500k or so per year for Franklin to be an AFL or multicultural ambassador
so 1.3mill per year without going anywhere or completely stuffing Hawks salary cap.

Pfft from day 1 we were never in the hunt

He will stay at Hawks on 800k a year.
AFL will then throw in 500k or so per year for Franklin to be an AFL or multicultural ambassador
so 1.3mill per year without going anywhere or completely stuffing Hawks salary cap.

We definitely need an ambassador for the AFL in Fremantle.
If he gets it there he gets it here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back