Ian shuttleworth joins crows

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Henderson will be the one to lose out if anyone does for Reilly.

Nah hopefully not. Hendo's evolution as a playmaker off half back was one of the few highlights of the season. Surely that didn't go unnoticed by Sando

Usually the best candidate for any opening is already within our organisation :p

And Sanders 'likes' right on cue - just shows you both know nothing about recruitment - sometimes the best person is inside the organisation and sometimes not - in our case at this time I would have said 'not' - so someone in the Club knows what they are doing and is paying attention by recruiting externally.

Nah hopefully not. Hendo's evolution as a playmaker off half back was one of the few highlights of the season. Surely that didn't go unnoticed by Sando
Given he was 2nd in our b&f polling during that 6-7 game patch where he played across HBF, I hope not. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Reilly put back along HBF where we continue to mess around with Henderson moving him from position to position.

I'd like to think that the HBF role would be Henderson's to lose, but it really wouldn't surprise me with this selection team if Reilly got it straight back.

And Sanders 'likes' right on cue - just shows you both know nothing about recruitment - sometimes the best person is inside the organisation and sometimes not - in our case at this time I would have said 'not' - so someone in the Club knows what they are doing and is paying attention by recruiting externally.
Yep, it makes sense.

A lower level media role... have to search outside the club to find someone with that level of expertise to fill such an important strategic position.

CEO on the other hand... you beauty! Right under our noses the whole time. Our long search is over.

Yep, if Brown and Laird maintain their form and development, I can't see Reilly keeping either out.
It's a no brainer.

Brown and Laird have already shown that they are quality and deserve their spot. In Reilly's absence, Henderson showed that he is a better option in that role.

The wrinkle is that Reilly signed a multi year deal seconds prior to being overtaken. Expensive write off.

I wouldn't go that far with Brown just yet.

Only conceded 21 goals for the year and was involved in the 4th most defensive 1-1 contests and recorded the best win/loss % out of anyone in the club. He's best 22 every week ATM, it's just a matter of if he'll turn into more than just being able to be a guy you can stick on small forwards or if he can add some more offensive weapons to his game.

Seriously, you guys still wear the rose coloured glasses, he was beaten frequently this season, I'm not going to go through and point it all out again for the hundredth time.

He had a competent year, not as good as what Doughty offered the previous season, but it'll never be known if it was better than what Doughty could have offered this season because he called time.

Between all of our small and small-ish and medium defenders who aren't KPDs from last year, Shaw, Brown and Mackay are at the bottom of the list, behind Laird, Henderson, Smith and Reilly.

7 names, 4 positions - and they keep saying Smith is staying back there rather than moving to the midfield.

Beaten frequently? You need to back that up with games. Because you are wrong.

And between Reilly and Brown only one of them was dropped and it wasn't the guy who polled in the top 10 in the B&F

Beaten frequently? You need to back that up with games. Because you are wrong.

And between Reilly and Brown only one of them was dropped and it wasn't the guy who polled in the top 10 in the B&F

Backed it up in several typically myopic threads during the year. Off hand he was soundly beaten against St Kilda, Fremantle, Port, and at one stage should and probably would have been dropped after a trio of beltings in a row but was saved by injuries to others.

He's not yet as good as this board believes he is.

Backed it up in several typically myopic threads during the year. Off hand he was soundly beaten against St Kilda, Fremantle, Port, and at one stage should and probably would have been dropped after a trio of beltings in a row but was saved by injuries to others.

He's not yet as good as this board believes he is.
He polled votes against Freo and St Kilda.
He failed to score votes in the B&F in consecutive games only once and I think he was injured in one of them.
After the rd 13 bye he scored votes in every game and finished the year strongly.

You're a classic example of someone who would rather see dinosaurs in our team than youth and Brown could not have done much more this year in only his second season.

You're a classic example of someone who would rather see dinosaurs in our team than youth and Brown could not have done much more this year in only his second season.

I didn't say he "could have done more", I said he's not as good or entrenched in the team as some people seem to think he is. He's a 21 year old vanilla small defender with 24 up and down games under his belt, not a 150 game stalwart of defence.

Also, looking at the stats now, the three games in a row were he got soundly beaten were St Kilda, North Melbourne and Fremantle rounds 8 to 10. His man got away from him in all 3 games, and only poor finishing and a few really lucky bounces from I think Milne, Ballantyne and Walters? Kept his conceded goals in single digits across the three games.

It's also grossly disingenuous to suggest I only want dinosaurs in the team. I want the best players in the team, regardless of age. I just don't think Brown has reached a position with his game where he could be considered first 22 every week ahead of other candidates. Instead I say he's in the bottom swirl of 4 players into 2 spots who need to battle and justify themselves ahead of each other every quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't say he "could have done more", I said he's not as good or entrenched in the team as some people seem to think he is. He's a 21 year old vanilla small defender with 24 up and down games under his belt, not a 150 game stalwart of defence.

Also, looking at the stats now, the three games in a row were he got soundly beaten were St Kilda, North Melbourne and Fremantle rounds 8 to 10. His man got away from him in all 3 games, and only poor finishing and a few really lucky bounces from I think Milne, Ballantyne and Walters? Kept his conceded goals in single digits across the three games.

It's also grossly disingenuous to suggest I only want dinosaurs in the team. I want the best players in the team, regardless of age. I just don't think Brown has reached a position with his game where he could be considered first 22 every week.
You said he was beaten frequently and was in the bottom rung of our defenders. Both counts are rubbish. He finished 6th in our B&F and polled in the games you said he was beaten in. I dare say given Sando loves him and if he continues his form and development he is a lock in our best 22.

You scrutinise younger players more than you do the oldies. A couple of examples, Reilly was dropped this year and had a poor year and yet you have him ahead of Brown. Your glowing memory of Doughty ignored that he was towelled up too in 2012, Milne cleaned him up for one.

Brown has speed, poise, good disposal, decision making and can shut down his player. If that's vanilla, I'll have seconds.

You can have seconds if you want, I'll wait for him to actually have poise (seriously? Laird is the one with poise, not Brown), and a season better than "good for a first year player" before I pen him into the team sheet.

As for the B&F finish, the same votes also had Rory Sloane as the winner, and his year could generously be described as a really slow start, patchy through the middle and a few good games at the end. The votes were just all over the place compared with what was actually happening on the ground at times.

Seriously, you guys still wear the rose coloured glasses, he was beaten frequently this season, I'm not going to go through and point it all out again for the hundredth time.

He had a competent year, not as good as what Doughty offered the previous season, but it'll never be known if it was better than what Doughty could have offered this season because he called time.

Between all of our small and small-ish and medium defenders who aren't KPDs from last year, Shaw, Brown and Mackay are at the bottom of the list, behind Laird, Henderson, Smith and Reilly.

7 names, 4 positions - and they keep saying Smith is staying back there rather than moving to the midfield.

Ridiculous position. Brown finished 6th in the B&F and is only getting better.

Has Reilly ever finished that high? Reilly was dropped last year Brown wasn't. Reilly is slow and mediocre. Brown is a far better defender, similar good skills yet doesn't panic under pressure like Brent.

Your ratings are fantasy land stuff according not just to us but to the coaching staff as well as shown.

Wow, and you have the gall to say my post was fantasy. Bravo on your cognitive dissonance sir.

Please point out any errors. Surely you don't consider Reilly fast or above average? Not happy with Brown s skill level? Perhaps you should watch him a little closer :D

Please point out any errors. Surely you don't consider Reilly fast or above average? Not happy with Brown s skill level? Perhaps you should watch him a little closer :D

Reilly is a better kick than Brown, just for starters, and calling him mediocre is just more Scott Stevens Syndrome, making shit up about whipping boys so you have a reason to rate your favourite young players above them.

If I'm picking our back 4 of players to play around Talia and Rutten right now, I'm taking Laird as the small stopper because he's currently better at essentially everything than Brown, Smith off one HBF, Reilly or Henderson off the other HBF, and then the final spot goes to best form/best match up depending on opponent, ie someone with a stacked forward line then Hartigan or Shaw are not out of place, a mosquito fleet then Brown is in the mix with Mackay.

I've watched Brown plenty enough. Simple fact, he's not as good as the angelic heralds on this board are proclaiming him to be. Has all the tools to be the next Doughty and a solid 150-200 gamer, but nothing more than that, and he's still yet to make it.

Reilly is a better kick than Brown, just for starters, and calling him mediocre is just more Scott Stevens Syndrome, making shit up about whipping boys so you have a reason to rate your favourite young players above them.

If I'm picking our back 4 of players to play around Talia and Rutten right now, I'm taking Laird as the small stopper because he's currently better at essentially everything than Brown, Smith off one HBF, Reilly or Henderson off the other HBF, and then the final spot goes to best form/best match up depending on opponent, ie someone with a stacked forward line then Hartigan or Shaw are not out of place, a mosquito fleet then Brown is in the mix with Mackay.

I've watched Brown plenty enough. Simple fact, he's not as good as the angelic heralds on this board are proclaiming him to be. Has all the tools to be the next Doughty and a solid 150-200 gamer, but nothing more than that, and he's still yet to make it.

Keep watching.

You can have seconds if you want, I'll wait for him to actually have poise (seriously? Laird is the one with poise, not Brown), and a season better than "good for a first year player" before I pen him into the team sheet.

As for the B&F finish, the same votes also had Rory Sloane as the winner, and his year could generously be described as a really slow start, patchy through the middle and a few good games at the end. The votes were just all over the place compared with what was actually happening on the ground at times.
Yeah - if only the coaching panel had called you after each game they could have nailed that damned B&F down.

Yeah - if only the coaching panel had called you after each game they could have nailed that damned B&F down.

You're kidding yourself if you think Rory Sloane should actually have placed our club champ this year, he was really poor for the first half of the season and only came good in the last 4 or so games. How he managed to outpoll Douglas, who was far and away our best and most consistent player in 2013, and Dangerfield, who while also patchy had more good games than Sloane did, is something nobody has been able to fathom.

You're kidding yourself if you think Rory Sloane should actually have placed our club champ this year, he was really poor for the first half of the season and only came good in the last 4 or so games. How he managed to outpoll Douglas, who was far and away our best and most consistent player in 2013, and Dangerfield, who while also patchy had more good games than Sloane did, is something nobody has been able to fathom.

This is why you're not on our coaching panel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back