Strategy Things are starting to get interesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Finally we are starting to get good, players back from injury, it's going to make things interesting at the selection table in the coming week as we are going to have to start dropping players that we don't want to.
For mine players I want back in
walker
Otto
Grigg
Crouch
Hendo
Lyons - I just want to see what he can do.
McKernan - still keen on him, but Jenkins looked good last week

Players I'm happy to drop (not in best 22)
Reilly
Pets
Pods - when walker comes back in
Jaensch - if he goes back to pre 2014 form.

I fear Matt crouch may make way at some stage if we ever get our full team on the park.
So who do people want still to come in and who do they want out (eventually) I guess it's a who's in our best 22 thread.

I don't think Pods will be dropped to make way for Walker. If anything he will be the swing man as his current form is good and I don't think he was recruited just to play reserves.
Pets is improving thanks to the influence of Eddie so may be difficult to drop. Reilly at his best is in the 22 and we should hope that as he plays more games he will get back to the form of 2012.
Jeansch......is playing very well and his kicking skills in the backline are an asset so if he continues to play well we truelly have some selection problems ahead.

Walker makes things interesting. I wonder how much Jenkins offers around the ground as our ruckman?

If we take out VB and Hendo as waaaay off it leaves 3 first choice players still to return;
Walker
Otten
Crouch

I don't subscribe to the growing view that Jaensch will suddenly fall off a form cliff. He's playing very well, growing in confidence with every game. He's already seen off the return of Laird and now Reilly looks to be at the fringe.

Sando loves Laird and so is trying to create a new role for him as a defensive small in the forward line. Remains to be seen if this is a permanent resettlement. Petrenko and Wright seem consigned to this role as well.

I think Crouch comes back for 1 of these 3 - I'm hoping M Crouch continues his form or he also could be the one to make way.

Walker is interesting - the role of Lynch is key IMO, if he becomes a roaming utility in the same way he did in the reserves, there may yet be room for all of Walker, Pods and JJ. If Lynch plays closer to goal then pods may go. JJ must stay for ruck relief.

If Lynch does play further up the field another of the 4 smalls above may be expendable.

The obvious switch is Otten for Reilly.

If we take out VB and Hendo as waaaay off it leaves 3 first choice players still to return;
Walker
Otten
Crouch

I don't subscribe to the growing view that Jaensch will suddenly fall off a form cliff. He's playing very well, growing in confidence with every game. He's already seen off the return of Laird and now Reilly looks to be at the fringe.

Sando loves Laird and so is trying to create a new role for him as a defensive small in the forward line. Remains to be seen if this is a permanent resettlement. Petrenko and Wright seem consigned to this role as well.

I think Crouch comes back for 1 of these 3 - I'm hoping M Crouch continues his form or he also could be the one to make way.

Walker is interesting - the role of Lynch is key IMO, if he becomes a roaming utility in the same way he did in the reserves, there may yet be room for all of Walker, Pods and JJ. If Lynch plays closer to goal then pods may go. JJ must stay for ruck relief.

If Lynch does play further up the field another of the 4 smalls above may be expendable.

The obvious switch is Otten for Reilly.

I want jj to play up the ground abit more... Give him a licence to run around and pull a tall defender out of the f50... If they dont use him he can turn and run back in and burn his oppenent for pace and see if he can get some cheap easy goals...

Obviously the more good players we can't squeeze into the 22 the better.

If Reilly, M.Crouch and Lyons end up dominating SANFL it will mean the senior team is travelling very nicely.

Lets just hope Tex comes back with no issues and the rest of the squad can stay fit. I'm sure we can be a threat with our best players on the park playing well.

Walker makes things interesting. I wonder how much Jenkins offers around the ground as our ruckman?
Just let Jenkins run wild like the Hoff's beard. He's a huge thumping beast, quick as, strong, skilled - let him go find the ball and damage some opposition squibs on the way.

Just let Jenkins run wild like the Hoff's beard. He's a huge thumping beast, quick as, strong, skilled - let him go find the ball and damage some opposition squibs on the way.
The thing with jenkins around the ground is i recon he'd get lost, not being a natural footballer makes it tough, im not sure he has the footy smarts to play this role. However i recon he can become a beast of a forward and hes going about it the right way.

The thing with jenkins around the ground is i recon he'd get lost, not being a natural footballer makes it tough, im not sure he has the footy smarts to play this role. However i recon he can become a beast of a forward and hes going about it the right way.
Stick him in the twos for a month, tell him to learn to play loose across half back. Can't be that hard, surely?

Big fan of the Jenk. He's capable of great things on his day and I think he has a heap of upside. Smack, OTOH, has been a perennial disappointment and time to let him go. If Lynch comes back firing, and then Tex, it's hard to see where Pods will fit. Not a bad sort of headache to have...:confused:

It will be harder if we win some of these easier games, not that I think WB will be easy.

But M Crouch has to stay in. He has performed well enough to more than deserve his spot. Given the first rd picks we've missed out on he is the young player we need to be developing quickly.

Its a very good problem we are about to have and one that will cause much discussion here. Think today is going to show us a lot, what role will Lynch play. I suspect we will use him as the roamer with his huge aerobic capacity. This will allow Pods, JJ and eventually Walker to play forward.

Otten takes Reillys spot and I reckon Crouch will be in front of his brother. If Pets falls over which I hope he doesn't then that opens a spot for Lyons with Cameon continuing to develop in the reserves for next year.

Plus now we have plenty of guys pushing in the ressies

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally we are starting to get good, players back from injury, it's going to make things interesting at the selection table in the coming week as we are going to have to start dropping players that we don't want to.
walker
Otto
Grigg
Crouch
Hendo
Lyons - I just want to see what he can do.

Reilly
Pets

I fear Matt crouch may make way at some stage if we ever get our full team on the park.
So who do people want still to come in and who do they want out (eventually) I guess it's a who's in our best 22 thread.

If we can get our absolute best 22 minus Hendo (obviously) on the park by round 10 we will no doubt rocket up the ladder into finals contention provided they stay fit. The trick is to not cause so much damage it will be near impossible to come back from. Port have their best 22 on the park that's the only reason they are performing so much better than us.

I don't have a problem with Matty dropping back into the reserves for the sake of our best 22. He really is to replace thommo than play alongside him IMO in our absolute best 22.

If we can get our absolute best 22 minus Hendo (obviously) on the park by round 10 we will no doubt rocket up the ladder into finals contention provided they stay fit. The trick is to not cause so much damage it will be near impossible to come back from. Port have their best 22 on the park that's the only reason they are performing so much better than us.

I don't have a problem with Matty dropping back into the reserves for the sake of our best 22. He really is to replace thommo than play alongside him IMO in our absolute best 22.
C'mon, you can't say that's the only reason they are playing better than us. I detest them but you need to be real. Their midfield is stoked with top 10 picks and runs deeper than ours, their forward line is better than ours.

C'mon, you can't say that's the only reason they are playing better than us. I detest them but you need to be real. Their midfield is stoked with top 10 picks and runs deeper than ours, their forward line is better than ours.

Our best 22 forward line with Walker in it is pretty cracking. Walker is on par with Schulz if not has a bit more x factor than shulzy, We have Betts who can be just as damaging on the score board. Lynch is certainly no mugg in the forward line. Wright can get the ball. Jenkins has a little pizzazz about him. If you look at top 10 picks sure they certainly do have in theory more talent. But our best 22 is not a crap team and I think our best team can certainly match it with ports best. Our midfield is just as good on paper. If we are still playing crap and losing games after round 10 like we did in the first 3 rounds if our best 21 out of 22 players are available I will be the first to put my hand up and say we are crap and we need a change. Walker will certainly straighten us up in the forward line.

They have also beaten Blues, Lions and Us. 1 win between all 3 of us

They also beat WC last night, a team who was held goalless for 3 quarters last week. They (WC) aren't much chop and Port got some dubious umpiring decisions go their way last night, especially in the last 10 minutes

Its not like Port have beaten anyone who will finish top 8 yet. Once they do that, then i'll pay attention a bit more. No doubt they have more higher picks on their list, but there's good reason for that. They were very, very s**t

Now they're ok. When they play the Cats next week, that'll be the first real test for them

Otten won't come in for Reilly. We'd be way to tall. Otten for Hartigan/Rutten.

Walker for Pods if the coaches are smart and know what they're doing. Last thing you want right now is a 32 year old taking game off of a 25 year old who needs as much game time as he can get.

Brad Crouch for Matt Crouch. I'm hoping this doesn't happen. Could quite easily be Petrenko or Reilly's name here and I hope it is.

Serious question, if Kerridge continues this stunning defensive form up for the rest of the season (unlikely) and continues to claim big scalps, how easy is it for VB to come back into the side? I know he's our captain and all that jazz, but it's seriously going to take one of Kerridge or Wright to be out of form for him to he a chance to return. I'm going to be brutal and say that Id rather just pump games into Kerridge, but it's not going to be the easiest of midfields to crack back into.

They also beat WC last night, a team who was held goalless for 3 quarters last week. They (WC) aren't much chop and Port got some dubious umpiring decisions go their way last night, especially in the last 10 minutes

Its not like Port have beaten anyone who will finish top 8 yet. Once they do that, then i'll pay attention a bit more. No doubt they have more higher picks on their list, but there's good reason for that. They were very, very s**t

Now they're ok. When they play the Cats next week, that'll be the first real test for them

The first real test was putting a stamp on adelaide oval and they did with flying colours. They're not hawthorn, but they're better than ok.

walker
Otto
Grigg

Crouch
Hendo
Lyons
- I just want to see what he can do.

Reilly
Pets

all players I want to see more of too, but not necessarily walk-up starts IMO.

would be good to introduce each of them slowly rather than waiting til we get flogged one week and having to make 4 changes.

I agree, Geelong will make them look like amateurs next week, i played around with the ladder predictor and have us finishing higher than ports.

Otten won't come in for Reilly. We'd be way to tall. Otten for Hartigan/Rutten.

Brad Crouch for Matt Crouch. I'm hoping this doesn't happen. Could quite easily be Petrenko or Reilly's name here and I hope it is.
Finally, someone who gets it - someone actually capable of thinking about the implications on team structure. There is not a snowball's chance in hell that we'll play all of Rutten, Talia, Hartigan & Otten at the same time. That back line is too tall and way too slow. Crouch for Reilly would require a bit of a reshuffle, but is entirely feasible and could well eventuate.
Serious question, if Kerridge continues this stunning defensive form up for the rest of the season (unlikely) and continues to claim big scalps, how easy is it for VB to come back into the side? I know he's our captain and all that jazz, but it's seriously going to take one of Kerridge or Wright to be out of form for him to he a chance to return. I'm going to be brutal and say that Id rather just pump games into Kerridge, but it's not going to be the easiest of midfields to crack back into.
It's not going to take anyone being "out of form". It might not be popular with BigFooty, but VB is an automatic selection and will come straight back into the side when he's ready (having probably spent 2-3 games in the SANFL getting himself match fit). If that requires another player to be dropped, then that will happen. Odds are that he will just fill a vacancy created by injury.

If it comes down to a choice between VB, Kerridge & Wright, VB will be an automatic selection and one of Kerridge & Wright will miss out, subject to their relative performance levels at the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back