Mega Thread The Collingwood rollercoaster - all general angst and ranting directed here

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm getting quite frustrated with the injury list. The last 3 years we have been hit hard!
I mean, things happen on the field that you cant avoid, but you would think with the proper training and care some of this stuff could surely be mitigated?
Don't fret....come October we will nearly have a full list to choose from.
Rocket will proudly announce on the Blackmores video that we have nil injuries.

The members have a voice and the members should make their thoughts on Buckley known at the AGM.

IIRC, there were around a dozen questions asked / statements made by the members at this year's AGM and the only one that had anything to do with the football department was asking whether Hine was signed up on a long term contract.

The bloke who appointed Bucks, our President, was up for re-election - and yet he was reinstated unopposed.

What specifically do you think should be asked / what statement should be made at the next AGM?

Hey guys - is it true some Collingwood players got influenza?

We had our best list in 30 years with the best coach in the afl. So what do we do?

That same "Best list" in 30 years with the worlds best coach LOST the 2011 Grand Final to a superior side. The young dynasty was a complete myth.

It's all hypothetical but there's no reason to believe Pies would've won the 2012/13 Grand Final if

Malthouse was still coach and
Jolly
Krak
Didak
Dawes
Presti
Tarrant
Leigh Brown
Leon
Wellers
Shaw
Maxwell
Johnno

were all still playing as 30+ year olds in the 2014 season.

The list simply peaked in 2010/2011 like the Saints.

I maintain the "young" list being a dynasty was a myth because it was the leadership/seniors that got the job done back then. They carried the depth players who were in such good form they forced out O'Bree, Tarks, Fraser etc..

The way I see it is that we fast forward to 2014 those young depth players haven't stepped up apart from Beams and Sidebottom. Most of them have plateaued or fallen off a cliff (Wellingham). Harry, Blair, Caff, Goldsack and a bunch of others are not quality AFL players and now that they are the "seniors" in the current list, it is being exposed compared to back when we had real talent and leadership in the senior group.

The other issue I see is that most all our KPP have returned bugger all this year either through injury or poor form.

Not sure it's so much the coach as it is really just the natural cycle in Footy and simply, the list isn't there and, apart from Beams, Pendles and Sidebottom - there are no leaders at this club.

I just see it is a transition period which HAD to happen. Bucks saw it and changed it fast before most realised it in the general public and still don't see it. Still too early to judge, next year will be very telling on Nathan's coaching abilities.

Future looks bright though if they can get rid of all these senior spuds/passengers in the 25-30 bracket.

A cold was reported to have gone through the camp last week, nonetheless it doesn't excuse that insipid performance.

The obvious issue is the gap between our best and worst.

I can live with the Adelaide loss because we dug in. The Essendon and West Coast losses are inexcusable. Then last week we were awesome against a good side.

I agree we have issues in just about every department. We need to bulk the midfield up and resolve the forward line.

But clearly the biggest issue is consistent effort. When our intensity is up, we find ways to win or get close to it. When we are down in that area, we look seriously second rate.

I think we can take a leaf out of Richmond's book. When they were down on confidence, they went back to trying to get the intensity up. Once that effort was consistent, they slowly turned their season around.

A cold was reported to have gone through the camp last week, nonetheless it doesn't excuse that insipid performance.

Not trying to make excuses - just worried the Port players were contagious, if they got you guys I worry for Sydney. Chin up boys' :)

He must go. He has not fixed any of our deficiencies in 3 years as senior coach. That play where they took it coast to coast in the third quarter was enough to suggest the bloke has no idea. MAN UP.....BE ACCOUNTABLE!!
Either his zone is no good or the players aren’t responding to his instructions.
The buck stops with him......whether it be his inability to have any tactical nous or the inability to get his players to adhere to his directions.
As great as he was as a player, he doesn't cut the mustard as a coach and this must be acted upon immediately!!!

I
My view hasn't changed since my rant earlier in the year. Buckley cannot coach. Simple. We all can see it. Some of us have accepted it, some are coming around to the idea and some will never accept it as they don't want to believe it.

We had our best list in 30 years with the best coach in the afl. So what do we do? We do what collingwood does best and shoots itself in the foot by appointing a coach who was and is out of his depth.

Our list is young and developing but it is not as bad as the way we are playing now. We have no structure, no game plan. Buckley is beaten tactically every week.

The quicker he goes the quicker we will begin to get back on track. The members have a voice and the members should make their thoughts on Buckley known at the AGM.

But we got smashed by 20 goals the week before our first final in 2011. That was with the best team we've had in 25 years and the best coach. Please explain!

Ok .Malthouse was put on the succession plan simply because he was at the club for 11 years with no flag.
It was done to put pressure on him to deliver a flag.Malthouse basically had 2 years to win us a flag before he was offered a director of coaching role for another 3 years.on close to 1 million per year.
The pressure worked .Malthouse knew his time was short we finally went out in 2010 and got 2 important players who were crucial to our flag hopes ......Jolly and Ball.
These 2 glaring deficiencies ruck and midfield extractor we hadn't had for 10 years....Malthouse was stubborn and never addressed our deficiencies persisted with making grand finals and we would consistantly getting smashed may I remind you of 2002,2003 and 2007 we would have won all those if we had a jolly and luke ball back then.
Neverthless we flag it in 2010 just by the skin of our teeth....Let me remind everyone once again Buckley was our forward coach who implemented the forward press and coupled that with Malthouse around the boundary line game plan.this was crucial to us winning.
But look at the assistants we had then......Buckley,Neeld,Brown,Scott Watters.

We could have gone back to back,2011 Malthouses selfishness led us to lose that one.
Going into the media and complaining about losing his job.He derailed that premiership himself.Geelong were licking their chops.....Chris Scott walks into a strong team listened to his what his players told him didn't make many changes and they delivered another flag..............to a rookie coach.
So Malthouse was not sacked he left .Put it this way tell another club in the AFL that would allow a coach to be there for over 10 years without delivering a flag.....How long will Carlton keep malthouse another 8 years you reckon.He could be given his marching orders with a year I reckon.
Buckley is building his own team......Stop blaming the coach its the players thas why like malthouse Buckley is building a strong future premiership side that will take us to consecutive flags in the future any tweeks get a few decent assistant coaches in.
We have the youth now lets balance ouit our core of experienced senior players and wait and see what happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also let me again remind all the buckley haters that all the senior experienced players buckley had the guts to get rid of where are they all now.....Aside from Heater at Gws who actually is still pineing for the pies.Daisy who will never play in another grand Final again joined malthouse because he wants the money. and Wellingham who has given the EAGLES Average service no other player from the 2010 flag has been picked up by another club.

Buckley made the right decision..........I reckon anyway....one step back to take 10 steps forward.

I would hope so as it would explain why we looked disinterested.

Being sick would make you already fill shocking

[QUOTE="Let me remind everyone once again Buckley was our forward coach who implemented the forward press...[/QUOTE]
^Myth.
Malthouse was on record as actually saying Buckley resisted/opposed the forward press when he arrived back at the club in 2010, but was forced to come around to the idea. The forward press was actually an evolution over a couple of years, it didn't just pop up in 2010.
Watch the 2008 game where we smashed Geelong, that would have been a very early version and it was tinkered with from then on.
Buckley has given us absoluetly no new ideas or any semblance of a game plan.

Watch the 2008 game where we smashed Geelong, that would have been a very early version and it was tinkered with from then on. Buckley has given us absoluetly no new ideas or any semblance of a game plan.

So it took Malthouse at least two years of tinkering with his gameplan(not including the 7 odd years he had beforehand) before it became effective?

Why aren't we giving Buckley the same opportunity?

I have one request of the club that i have supported for 18 years and am a committed member of. More transparency please, i don't understand the conservativeness of the club in relation to injuries, please just tell us whats wrong and if their have been setbacks. Why has Freeman been listed at 2-3 weeks for most of the year? Why did Beams and Reid have such lengthy spells for muscle injuries compared to any other players and teams? Are you protecting your fitness staff? Did you overwork them pre season or post injury? Just something please, some honesty.

[QUOTE="Let me remind everyone once again Buckley was our forward coach who implemented the forward press...
^Myth.
Malthouse was on record as actually saying Buckley resisted/opposed the forward press when he arrived back at the club in 2010, but was forced to come around to the idea. The forward press was actually an evolution over a couple of years, it didn't just pop up in 2010.
Watch the 2008 game where we smashed Geelong, that would have been a very early version and it was tinkered with from then on.
Buckley has given us absoluetly no new ideas or any semblance of a game plan.[/QUOTE]
Mick has nothing to lose by going on record with such a claim because he knows that Buckley won't engage the media with anything negative about Mick or his time under Mick.
When you smash a side by 80 points, it's obvious that the pressure was immense but I also saw some very un-Geelong type turnovers and lack of pressure in that game. Hell, we could go back to some excellent performances in 03 when the opposition kept kicking to us when they were trying to come out of defence. Was that the forward press in its embryonic stages?
Whether it was Mick or Bucks the fact remains that the Saints were using the press before Collingwood and it was tinkered with at best. Mick talking s**t about Rommel or whoever was cringeworthy. Even with the euphoria of the GF win, when I heard what he said I nearly threw up..........not alcohol induced that time.
Speaking of gameplans. I don't know why people talk of a singular gameplan. As far as I know, there are a number of plans put in place for games. Which plan are you speaking of?

[QUOTE="Let me remind everyone once again Buckley was our forward coach who implemented the forward press
^Myth.
Buckley has given us absoluetly no new ideas or any semblance of a game plan.
Mick has nothing to lose by going on record with such a claim because he knows that Buckley won't engage the media with anything negative about Mick or his time under Mick.
When you smash a side by 80 points, it's obvious that the pressure was immense but I also saw some very un-Geelong type turnovers and lack of pressure in that game. Hell, we could go back to some excellent performances in 03 when the opposition kept kicking to us when they were trying to come out of defence. Was that the forward press in its embryonic stages?
Whether it was Mick or Bucks the fact remains that the Saints were using the press before Collingwood and it was tinkered with at best. Mick talking s**t about Rommel or whoever was cringeworthy. Even with the euphoria of the GF win, when I heard what he said I nearly threw up..........not alcohol induced that time.
Speaking of gameplans. I don't know why people talk of a singular gameplan. As far as I know, there are a number of plans put in place for games. Which plan are you speaking of?

So it took Malthouse at least two years of tinkering with his gameplan(not including the 7 odd years he had beforehand) before it became effective?

Why aren't we giving Buckley the same opportunity?
Buckley is in his third year, club has spiralled from 2nd to 4th to 8th to probably 9th or 10th.

By his third year, Malthouse had taken a wooden spoon team to within a kick of a flag. In terms of talent, the 2002 side shouldn't even tie this current team's shoelaces.

That is the difference an elite coach can make. Am not saying MM is still in this category but Buckley certainly is not.

All I am saying is the press didn't just pop up in 2010 when Buckley came back, which is what many people incorrectly claim.

It was devised by MM and the other coaches well before that.

Yes, we were taking elements of what Saints were doing and putting our own twist on it, but nothing wrong with that whatsoever, and it was brilliantly done.

I'm no PhD in game plans, but I think you could clearly identify team discipline, system and passion from 2001-2003, and after a rebuild on run, again from 2006-2011.

If you are content with what you see under Buckley that's fine, and if you can explain to me what on earth he's trying to do with his current "trademarks" and "brand" of footy please go ahead.

All I see is a confused team without any flair or system.

Buckley is in his third year, club has spiralled from 2nd to 4th to 8th to probably 9th or 10th.

By his third year, Malthouse had taken a wooden spoon team to within a kick of a flag. In terms of talent, the 2002 side shouldn't even tie this current team's shoelaces.

That is the difference an elite coach can make. Am not saying MM is still in this category but Buckley certainly is not.

In fairness to Buckley did you honestly expect him to be an elite coach in the space of 3 years? I'm not liking what I'm seeing from him, but the concern I have is that 3 years in we still haven't seen what he can do with a healthy list. Which leads to my current gripe with the club.

We s**t money in comparison with most other clubs, however it's amounted to the worst stretch of injuries that I have seen in my time watching the game. Whatever we are doing it is fundementally wrong and needs to be addressed. Are we doing enough research on prevention? Rehab? Recovery post match? I'm not expecting a charmed run where we go 8 weeks without a fresh injury, but what I do expect is to not lose a player a week in the final training session for 6 weeks in a row. There is no way on gods green earth that that s**t isn't avoidable...

The question on what exactly we're doing needed to be asked at the AGM earlier this year and I'm still disappointed that it wasn't raised when we instead invested an extra $1 million into our media department. That extra million towards the medical/ sport science department may not have been the difference, but boy it would have provided more benefit to us onfield than when invested in media!

I would love to see Pert held accountable for these sorts of decisions because the buck stops with him, but pigs will fly and all. Externally it appears that we're so focussed on 80k members and all that goes with it that we've taken our eye off the easiest way to maintain that which is winning!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back