Mega Thread The Collingwood rollercoaster - all general angst and ranting directed here

Remove this Banner Ad

A- Geelong are not as good as they have been.
B- I said I can only pencil in wins to two sides, never said we can't win others but they are not certainties.

I wouldn't underestimate Geelong. People have been writing them off for the last few years, but they always seem to be around the top 4 mark. I don't see it any different this year. In some ways I concur with your original post. I don't have the lofty expectations of some either, which is why I was reasonable happy with the effort last night. I really rate the Cats and with a bit more poise we could have rolled them.

I think we will win our fair share of games against the middle ranked sides (which is where we are imo) Based on our effort last night, I think we should be back on the winners list next week.

This all depends on how you rate Freo, Swans and Geelong. They were all potentially top 4 sides and two at least have acted like one, if that comes to pass you have put in two good performances after a capitulation.

Richmond are a team with no hopes of top 4, a solid reaming of them will cheer you all up and give you a better idea of where in the ladder you can realistically belong.

Goid effort by the pies put brown on hawkins we win

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
No way brown wouldn't have made no difference at all, frost had Hawkins covered! Nothing frost could have done to stop the goals Hawkins kicked. The kicks to him where spot on something we will never do.

Keep up the optimism Matty . It's refreshing compared to most other doomsayers around here!
It's not necessarily optimism though. What matty brings is a sense of realism, it's up to the individual as to how they wish to interpret a rational post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What does pencilled in have to do with anything though? Every year there are only a few s**t teams that anyone else could pencil in.
A lot actually, the main point of my post was that my expectations have changed
Over the last couple of years I would have pencilled a few more

You always get that one guy who brings up the missing players. Maybe when they come back we can find a way to put 28 guys on the field instead of the 22.

Are you saying Reid Williams Brown & Sinclair would not improve our backline? I'll be the one guy I don't mind.
You are the one guy that could find a pay packet with $800 in it & complain about the tax your paying.

I have reluctantly and finally got over our premiership and have now seen the light.

A lot of teams have gone past us. Wether it is our cattle, our coach or our consistent injuries or a mix of all three I'm not sure.

My expectations are far lower now.

The last couple of seasons I have been highly frustrated, thinking we had the team to go all the way, no longer do I see it like that.

I would not be surprised if there are only 4 teams below us come the end of the season.
Even the saints are doing better than expected.
I can see us losing to both the expansion teams,
I can only pencil in wins against the Dees and the lions.

So anything more than that I am going to enjoy, I still have hopes that we are building and not stagnating, we have some potential on our list and in two to three years I believe we could contend again.

The football should be enjoyable and I think it is unrealistic expectations that make it not so. So for now I am going to sit back and watch our up and comers and enjoy some beers.

Many supporters did have unrealistic expectations after 2010 and the first half of 2011. The reality was we had a good list not great, a game plan that hadn't been workout by other coaches, and we were in form. Unfortunately, despite winning in 2010 we did not have the best list at that time and trades leading up to 2010 (Wood, Jolly and Ball) meant that new young talent was traded for the premiership.

People ranting about how bad we are had unrealistic expectations. I'd you look at the past 10 years only Geelong has managed to stay in the top eight in the four years after a premiership. If we make the eight we will be the other team.

Stop your f***ing spooking you babies. You carry on like little kids who have lost their dummies

I'm getting quite frustrated with the injury list. The last 3 years we have been hit hard!
I mean, things happen on the field that you cant avoid, but you would think with the proper training and care some of this stuff could surely be mitigated?

Many supporters did have unrealistic expectations after 2010 and the first half of 2011. The reality was we had a good list not great, a game plan that hadn't been workout by other coaches, and we were in form. Unfortunately, despite winning in 2010 we did not have the best list at that time and trades leading up to 2010 (Wood, Jolly and Ball) meant that new young talent was traded for the premiership.

People ranting about how bad we are had unrealistic expectations. I'd you look at the past 10 years only Geelong has managed to stay in the top eight in the four years after a premiership. If we make the eight we will be the other team.

Stop your f***ing spooking you babies. You carry on like little kids who have lost their dummies

This is spot on. We didn't win the 2010 flag with skill or muscle, we won it with a game plan that the opposition had no answer to.

What we see now is our lack of skill and real contested ball winning being punished by the better teams.

We have lost a lot of experience since 2010/11. I'm actually finding this year extremely interesting to see what our team looks like by Round 23.

P.S. Marley Williams has been sorely missed with his attack on the football and the opposition.

Are you saying Reid Williams Brown & Sinclair would not improve our backline? I'll be the one guy I don't mind.
You are the one guy that could find a pay packet with $800 in it & complain about the tax your paying.
I'm saying the blokes out on the field are adequate enough win games of footy unless you want to start delisting guys from last night.

I
Ha. I heard that in 2008
My view hasn't changed since my rant earlier in the year. Buckley cannot coach. Simple. We all can see it. Some of us have accepted it, some are coming around to the idea and some will never accept it as they don't want to believe it.

We had our best list in 30 years with the best coach in the afl. So what do we do? We do what collingwood does best and shoots itself in the foot by appointing a coach who was and is out of his depth.

Our list is young and developing but it is not as bad as the way we are playing now. We have no structure, no game plan. Buckley is beaten tactically every week.

The quicker he goes the quicker we will begin to get back on track. The members have a voice and the members should make their thoughts on Buckley known at the AGM.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back