Mod. Notice Saints Board 2015 - changes

Remove this Banner Ad

The moderators have discussed the use of megathreads, and there is quite a demand for them. We want to make sure that all threads are used for their specific topic otherwise it becomes a jumbled mess. The summary thread of the trades megathread was absolutely inspired but is too much work to ask someone to do it all year so we may or may not have a thread that randomly updates a summary of the megathread but hopefully we will have a weekly update when the championships are on and closer to the actual draft.

So Off topic but when can we start the Draft and Trade 2015 thread?

We have 32,675 posts and 1308 pages to get through to beat the mega thread?

Think it should open Jan 1

Feel like we should give some respect to the new recruits. 1st Feb? Don't know what though.

Jan 1 is acceptable

Can I recommend round 1 full season?

I think the pre season thread is enough.

We can have a preseason megathread and a 2015 Draft Trade FA megathread at the same time. We will still have our usual annual threads such as media threads, general AFL discussion etc, then there's ongoing things like B&F voting threads, player sponsorship threads, injury updates, dream team, supercoach etc

One thing we definitely want is posters to contribute to the individual player threads (on the Players Board) and to this end we have already brought the Markworth thread to the main board (as it was topical). We may bring in more of these and return them to the players board as they drop off the first page of the main board.

The new recruits individual threads on the main board will get moved to the players board after a respectable time and some threads will get moved to the Animal Enclosure (our non-football topics board).

If you find that a post of yours has been moved to a different thread, it probably means that you were not posting in the correct thread in the first place. (the topic of your post was not the same as the topic of the thread) It would help the mods out if posters were a little bit more discretionary as to where they post at times. We want visitors to be able to make some sort of heads or tails out of the jumble.

Suggestions?

The moderators have discussed the use of megathreads, and there is quite a demand for them. We want to make sure that all threads are used for their specific topic otherwise it becomes a jumbled mess. The summary thread of the trades megathread was absolutely inspired but is too much work to ask someone to do it all year so we may or may not have a thread that randomly updates a summary of the megathread but hopefully we will have a weekly update when the championships are on and closer to the actual draft.

We can have a preseason megathread and a 2015 Draft Trade FA megathread at the same time. We will still have our usual annual threads such as media threads, general AFL discussion etc, then there's ongoing things like B&F voting threads, player sponsorship threads, injury updates, dream team, supercoach etc

One thing we definitely want is posters to contribute to the individual player threads (on the Players Board) and to this end we have already brought the Markworth thread to the main board (as it was topical). We may bring in more of these and return them to the players board as they drop off the first page of the main board.

The new recruits individual threads on the main board will get moved to the players board after a respectable time and some threads will get moved to the Animal Enclosure (our non-football topics board).

If you find that a post of yours has been moved to a different thread, it probably means that you were not posting in the correct thread in the first place. (the topic of your post was not the same as the topic of the thread) It would help the mods out if posters were a little bit more discretionary as to where they post at times. We want visitors to be able to make some sort of heads or tails out of the jumble.

Suggestions?
I suggest this is moved to a new thread so that we can discuss changes to the board as a board :p

I like the proposed changes but its a fine line between talking about a player on a thread and bringing up a player thread. I think what was done with the markworth discussion has been good and i reckon if the mods are happy to have discretion as to what gets moved for players and not im okay with that

I suggested the idea of the summary thread when things got kinda crazy on the draft-trade thread, but that was an extreme situation. Most of the time, I don't think we necessarily need that kind of thing, but once a mega-thread is getting something like 15 pages in a day, it's not only difficult for people to catch up, but if they take a day or two off (because of, y'know, that pesky thing called "life"), that can mean 40-50 pages of catch up.

First of all, I suggest we recognise peak times in the season where that thread goes nuts - I'm sure the mods can do some kind of analysis, that shows when the rate of posts goes up significantly. Then we prepare a team of posters to be ready for when those periods are about to come (ie, things like maybe the championships, the combine, obviously trade period, etc).

Secondly, while I love the poetry of being part of a "saga" thread, which runs for hundred of pages and thousands of views, the fact is, they're ultimately impractical in terms of use. Nobody is going to sit through thousands upon thousands of posts, especially as many at the start become outdated at the end. I thus propose that we have different threads for different phases of the year: again, championships, combine, trade period, etc. That's not as cool as having a ginormous thread, but it's far more useful.

one thing i was thinking this draft period, is i think we lose a bit of info we have on the board. it'd be great to get squiz's VFL updates back or at a minimum some player rankings/wrap up

would be great to get a round update from rahul on any of the TAC Cup games they attend and likewise anyone else who attends these types of games

that way we can have a summary going into the draft on various match type reports

one thing i was thinking this draft period, is i think we lose a bit of info we have on the board. it'd be great to get squiz's VFL updates back or at a minimum some player rankings/wrap up

would be great to get a round update from rahul on any of the TAC Cup games they attend and likewise anyone else who attends these types of games

that way we can have a summary going into the draft on various match type reports
Agree on the tac cup part, I proberbly only went to maybe 7-8 games last year total but next year with my cousin playing his u18 year at the chargers I'll probs be their every week

Agree on the tac cup part, I proberbly only went to maybe 7-8 games last year total but next year with my cousin playing his u18 year at the chargers I'll probs be their every week

thats awesome mate!!! a sticky thread covering the under 18 stuff where peoples feedback like yours could go would be awesome. especially if it was nicely summarised round by round

thats awesome mate!!! a sticky thread covering the under 18 stuff where peoples feedback like yours could go would be awesome. especially if it was nicely summarised round by round
I reckon that's a good idea.

Chargers should be a good club to watch, 42 kids in 5 years into the afl system is the best of any club in Australia

I think the changes are reasonable Kildonan. The quote of mine in the OP was a little tongue in cheek and it is true the mega thread got a bit unruly, especially when looking for information someone had posted.

Breaking it up over different periods of time during the season would be a sound move and would keep the information up to date and more topical.

I suggested the idea of the summary thread when things got kinda crazy on the draft-trade thread, but that was an extreme situation. Most of the time, I don't think we necessarily need that kind of thing, but once a mega-thread is getting something like 15 pages in a day, it's not only difficult for people to catch up, but if they take a day or two off (because of, y'know, that pesky thing called "life"), that can mean 40-50 pages of catch up.

First of all, I suggest we recognise peak times in the season where that thread goes nuts - I'm sure the mods can do some kind of analysis, that shows when the rate of posts goes up significantly. Then we prepare a team of posters to be ready for when those periods are about to come (ie, things like maybe the championships, the combine, obviously trade period, etc).

Secondly, while I love the poetry of being part of a "saga" thread, which runs for hundred of pages and thousands of views, the fact is, they're ultimately impractical in terms of use. Nobody is going to sit through thousands upon thousands of posts, especially as many at the start become outdated at the end. I thus propose that we have different threads for different phases of the year: again, championships, combine, trade period, etc. That's not as cool as having a ginormous thread, but it's far more useful.

I agree with most of what you said.

The saints board of 2014 is not the board of 2013, and so on.

The board needs to constantly evolve and adjust for new "popularity".

IMO we only need an update thread during trade week and leading up to the draft to keep up with all the rumours. That would have to be the busiest time of year. In saying that though if someone's happy to keep us updated all year then I won't complain. :thumbsu:

If we want to bring player reviews back I think we should come up with some sort of template to make it a bit easier. Something like:

Averages:

Expectations before the season:

How they went during the year:

Thoughts leading into next season and beyond:

Would that get more people involved, or is reviewing 40+ players just too many?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO we only need an update thread during trade week and leading up to the draft to keep up with all the rumours. That would have to be the busiest time of year. In saying that though if someone's happy to keep us updated all year then I won't complain. :thumbsu:

If we want to bring player reviews back I think we should come up with some sort of template to make it a bit easier. Something like:

Averages:

WCE board do something where they draft a player and then aim to talk up that player through the year giving updates etc. I'll get more info

WCE board do something where they draft a player and then aim to talk up that player through the year giving updates etc. I'll get more info

MT asked for more info from what the WCE lads do. I'll basically give you a simple run down.
We have a randomized draft each year. One person gets #1, one gets #2 etc etc.
Then we have a separate section of the board where we have the player threads. After all drafting is done (rookie, etc.) we then post in the thread in numerical order which player we want to pick. I.e #1 takes Sheed, #2 takes Yeo. Each has 24 hrs to pick, otherwise they just pick whenever after 24h is up, until all players are taken.

Then it gets a bit more complex. For example, this year I have Brad Sheppard who I took with #9. it's up to sponsors to decide how they want to do things. Some just keep updated threads, with statistics, news, stuff like that. Others go further, get into the main threads and just talk up how good their player is, defending them to the bitter end (ala Priddis). Different sponsors have different approaches. I just talk up mad stuff about whoever I sponsor at the time, end up being rather amusing.

Then, at the end of the year, mods will pick out 3 best sponsors for the year, they get the #1-3 first pick in next year's draft, other lads then get entered into random generator to see who gets the rest of the picks. That's just how we do it, you guys can do it differently. But that's the basis really.

BOL lads, and I'm still filthy as hell that you guys got Acres.

MT asked for more info from what the WCE lads do. I'll basically give you a simple run down.
Then we have a separate section of the board where we have the player threads. After all drafting is done (rookie, etc.) we then post in the thread in numerical order which player we want to pick. I.e #1 takes Sheed, #2 takes Yeo. Each has 24 hrs to pick, otherwise they just pick whenever after 24h is up, until all players are taken.

Then it gets a bit more complex. For example, this year I have Brad Sheppard who I took with #9. it's up to sponsors to decide how they want to do things. Some just keep updated threads, with statistics, news, stuff like that. Others go further, get into the main threads and just talk up how good their player is, defending them to the bitter end (ala Priddis). Different sponsors have different approaches. I just talk up mad stuff about whoever I sponsor at the time, end up being rather amusing.

Then, at the end of the year, mods will pick out 3 best sponsors for the year, they get the #1-3 first pick in next year's draft, other lads then get entered into random generator to see who gets the rest of the picks. That's just how we do it, you guys can do it differently. But that's the basis really.

Sounds great! Dont mind this at all

Good post, I'm a fan of this idea. Would be very happy to see this implemented on our board.

That sounds like a great idea. Would love to see it on the St Kilda board

Averages:

Happy to see player reviews happen again this year, really just need someone to kick start them ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back