Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Mark Blicavs

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • None of the above

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought no not Duncan he's there now, so I went Caddy followed by Motlop to be 'A' grade, but the one's we really need to find that extra 10% are GHS and Murdoch.
Both have the capability to get there.
Duncan's not A grade and Motlop is ahead of him. has Duncan ever made a top 50 players in the comp or been considered for All Australian? nope, not even close. he is not yet A grade.

Gladly disagree with you there. Chronically underrating Duncan.

Duncan has progressed every season and will by the end of 2015 still be better than both those players.

Caddy and Motlop will pass Duncan this year, they have much higher peaks and injury free they will go a long way to getting there next year.

We'll have to disagree. I think Duncan is far more consistent than either and amazingly underrated on this board. He's the only sub-100 game player we have who has improved every single season without fail. And he's now done it for 5 years.

We'll have to disagree. I think Duncan is far more consistent than either and amazingly underrated on this board. He's the only sub-100 game player we have who has improved every single season without fail. And he's now done it for 5 years.

Well said. The biggest thing that he has done above the others IMO is start to limit the fading out out the play in games. As a result, he is becoming far more consistent a player thru games. The other two, whilst very very good and Im not knocking their efforts, have work to do to match Mitch in this area. Thus for mine, Mitch is ahead.

Go Catters

Well said. The biggest thing that he has done above the others IMO is start to limit the fading out out the play in games. As a result, he is becoming far more consistent a player thru games. The other two, whilst very very good and Im not knocking their efforts, have work to do to match Mitch in this area. Thus for mine, Mitch is ahead.

Go Catters
His progression in terms of disposals is quite consistent.

2010: 13.63
2011: 17.00
2012: 18.18
2013: 21.04
2014: 22.79

So he has a minimal increase and then a bigger increase the year after. Hopefully that trend continues. He's borderline our second best midfielder after Sel, alongside SJ.

His progression in terms of disposals is quite consistent.

2010: 13.63
2011: 17.00
2012: 18.18
2013: 21.04
2014: 22.79

So he has a minimal increase and then a bigger increase the year after. Hopefully that trend continues. He's borderline our second best midfielder after Sel, alongside SJ.

Good stats to show Part's point. If he keeps going and Mots and Cads follow suit, will make our MF a much stronger rotation.

And by cutting out the mid game fade outs, these numbers get better…

Go Catters

Enright is A grade every day of the week Fred and Sttew.
He would have to fall a long long way off top form, which he hasn't yet, to be ever classed as B grade ++ whatever.

He is one of the best defenders to ever represent the colours and one of the best defenders of this era.
I don't dispute Boris is one of the best defenders to wear the blue and white hoops, but you are kidding yourself if you think he remains A grade regardless of age and form. It's basic human nature and physics. Why would he be any different to hundreds if not thousands of champions of the game who have tailed off in their latter years?

I would class A Graders as the top 10% in the comp, which roughly translates to those who are or should be in the AA Squad, ie the 4 I named.
I don't think Enright is at that level any more. Perhaps B++ :D
Just thought I'd lob this grenade out there, is Pridis an A grader? Didn't make all Australian this year.... and cue WC supporters.....

My three picks for Breakout seasons in 2015 are:

-Cameron Guthrie (if not tagging)
-Josh Caddy (finished year very well after injury, injury free 2015 & watch out!)
-Jackson Thurlow (may change now with a shorter pre-season but hopefully plays at least 15 games & if he shows the talent which he has consistently I could see a full season out of him as long as he is over that kidney)

I didn't have Duncan because I feel he is pretty much on the edge of A-Grader status & he doesn't really need a breakout season as he improves year after year consistently. One of the more underrated midfielders in comp.

I thought Motlop's breakout season was 2013, the injury obviously didn't help his 2014 at all with him losing steam at end of season, but now so far he is having a full pre-season *fingers crossed* and can go back to that goal kicking form of 2013 along with playing more midfield time.

I don't dispute Boris is one of the best defenders to wear the blue and white hoops, but you are kidding yourself if you think he remains A grade regardless of age and form. It's basic human nature and physics. Why would he be any different to hundreds if not thousands of champions of the game who have tailed off in their latter years?

2014 Carji Greeves

4. Corey Enright (288.5)

5. Harry Taylor (287)....

So Enright albeit marginally was still our best defender in the B & F.

I made the specific point that Enright's form needs to slip a fair way to fall out of being A grade.
Yes he is an out and out champion. Like Fletcher at the Bombers, stats don't always relate how good these guys still are at all aspects of the game.

I would respectfully suggest at times in a game just watching those two blokes mentioned for minutes on end to see how they go about their work.

Last edited:

But we completely agree.

We can debate if he is A grade already now, but if Duncan stays fit I don't see how he won't be universally considered A grade by the end of 2015 given his current form trajectory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And what does that have to do with what I said?

Duncan is the only young player who has been injury free and fulfilled his talent and showed consistency. He doesn't really have much higher to go.

Caddy and Motlop on the other hand ...... Neither yet have had an injury free season (and even then Motlop still achieved more in 2013 than Duncan has ever achieved - being very close to an All Australian before succumbing to injury in the last third of the season ). Caddy is more speculative but I've seen him do things that Duncan simply doesn't have the talent to do. Doesn't have anywhere near the consistency of Duncan. but if he can have an injury free season like Duncan then Caddy will pass him very quickly.

Last edited:
My three picks for Breakout seasons in 2015 are:

-Cameron Guthrie (if not tagging)
-Josh Caddy (finished year very well after injury, injury free 2015 & watch out!)
-Jackson Thurlow (may change now with a shorter pre-season but hopefully plays at least 15 games & if he shows the talent which he has consistently I could see a full season out of him as long as he is over that kidney)

I didn't have Duncan because I feel he is pretty much on the edge of A-Grader status & he doesn't really need a breakout season as he improves year after year consistently. One of the more underrated midfielders in comp.

I thought Motlop's breakout season was 2013, the injury obviously didn't help his 2014 at all with him losing steam at end of season, but now so far he is having a full pre-season *fingers crossed* and can go back to that goal kicking form of 2013 along with playing more midfield time.

No Jansen , No Cockatoo..... ?

I hope your right on Thurlow but I think he needs to elevate to being a 18 to 20 games before he breaks out , so to speak.
I think Motlops breakout was 2013 , if he can get back to that i'll be happy.

Caddy and Guthrie are my picks , right age , right experience level to be become legit strong players for us.

God I hope it's Caddy - he's the biggest prick-tease of the lot. He turns the grill on but doesn't cook the steak!
He'll cook your steak and everyone else's this season mate! Be prepared for him to light your fire baby! :D

Duncan is the only young player who has been injury free and fulfilled his talent and showed consistency. He doesn't really have much higher to go.

Duncan and Motlop on the other hand ...... Neither yet have had an injury free season (and even then Motlop still achieved more in 2013 than Duncan has ever achieved - being very close to an All Australian before succumbing to injury in the last third of the season ). Caddy is more speculative but I've seen him do things that Duncan simply doesn't have the talent to do. Doesn't have anywhere near the consistency of Duncan. but if he can have an injury free season like Duncan then Caddy will pass him very quickly.
What the hell are you talking about?

I don't know how that can be stated as a certainty. I think he can keep improving.

Duncan and Motlop on the other hand ...... Neither yet have had an injury free season (and even then Motlop still achieved more in 2013 than Duncan has ever achieved - being very close to an All Australian before succumbing to injury in the last third of the season ). Caddy is more speculative but I've seen him do things that Duncan simply doesn't have the talent to do. Doesn't have anywhere near the consistency of Duncan. but if he can have an injury free season like Duncan then Caddy will pass him very quickly.

Duncan played in a premiership team in his second season. That's one thing Motlop assuredly has not done.

I'd be curious to know what exactly Caddy can do that Duncan can't. Duncan's a better ballwinner, just as good a mark and a better goalkicker. Plus, as you said, miles more consistent.

Anyone have positive feelings about GHS?....I do!...he's developing a very strong body and last year showed outstanding courage under pressure at times.
Of course consistency is the big issue that denotes breakthrough, but I'm hoping to see a further improved version this season and a smarter player than he already is.

Anyone have positive feelings about GHS?....I do!...he's developing a very strong body and last year showed outstanding courage under pressure at times.
Of course consistency is the big issue that denotes breakthrough, but I'm hoping to see a further improved version this season and a smarter player than he already is.

That's coz he's too slow to get out of the way. :D

No Jansen , No Cockatoo..... ?

I hope your right on Thurlow but I think he needs to elevate to being a 18 to 20 games before he breaks out , so to speak.
I think Motlops breakout was 2013 , if he can get back to that i'll be happy.

Caddy and Guthrie are my picks , right age , right experience level to be become legit strong players for us.

No I thought I better be serious this time haha. Depending on how their 2015's go then 2016 could be Jansen or Cockatoo's breakout year but most likely 2017.

Yeah true the other two are more likely than Thurlow for sure but I just feel that if Thurlow can play most, if not all, the 2015 season then he could be a rapid improver!

Back