Opinion Who would you like to beat the most in a Grand Final?

Remove this Banner Ad

rapidfire7

All Australian
Jul 28, 2008
London, United Kingdom
AFL Club
Geelong
For me, it's a toss up between Hawthorn and Richmond.

Both have caused us an enormous amount of Finals pain over the years.

They both also have ultra pig headed supporter bases, who tend to look down on Geelong as being soft/mentally weak/handbaggers etc.

There is also this notion that exists (in some circles at least) that despite our recent Premiership success, that we were only able to beat other 'soft' teams in Grand Finals. A notion that I usually hear peddled from supporters of these two clubs more than anyone else.

Beating one of these 2 would be incredibly satisfying, and I hope that we get the opportunity to do just that in the coming years. But on the flipside, another loss to either one would be beyond unbearable to deal with.

Honourable mentions to West Coast, Carlton and Melbourne.

There is also this notion that exists (in some circles at least) that despite our recent Premiership success, that we were only able to beat other 'soft' teams in Grand Finals. A notion that I usually hear peddled from supporters of these two clubs more than anyone else.
I think out of our four recent flags, we could claim we were victorious against two of the strongest sides in recent memory in the Saints in '09 and the Pies in '11. Both were very good Victorian sides. Port and Sydney weren't much chop.

But you can make the same accusation against a lot of recent premiership sides, especially Victorian ones. The Hawks achieved their threepeat beating up listless interstate sides, and two of Richmond's flags (and their easiest ones) were done in similar fashion. GWS in 2019 was one of the worst grand finalists in recent memory.

For me, it's a toss up between Hawthorn and Richmond.

Both have caused us an enormous amount of Finals pain over the years.

They both also have ultra pig headed supporter bases, who tend to look down on Geelong as being soft/mentally weak/handbaggers etc.

Beating one of these 2 would be incredibly satisfying, and I hope that we get the opportunity to do just that in the coming years. But on the flipside, another loss to either one would be beyond unbearable to deal with.

Honourable mentions to West Coast, Carlton and Melbourne.
Lmao of all clubs to go this route, you'd think they wouldn't be ones throwing stones in glass houses.

Two WA clubs and a mentally weak Sydney (who've made a habit of losing Grand Finals) for the Hawks.

The Tiges got a one year wonder in Adelaide before they discovered their love of camping, an expansion club coming from 7th in the Giants, and a Geelong side that half of us here had called mentally weak for the best part of a decade.

I don't subscribe to the belief that any of the three clubs has had 'easy' GF opponents, they're all bloody hard to win....but it's not the game I'd be playing if I were them, we've got plenty of ammo ourselves.

I like to keep scenario up my sleeve for Collingwood, Hawthorn I would prefer to '119' them
Nah, we've already got Collingwood dead to rights in any argument. 5 finals wins including a GF in 15 years is a checkmate, likewise the 'Aints, Port & Sydney.

We've still had success against Richmond & Hawthorn, but being completely objective, they do have the GF wood on us.

We can't have it both ways, so that's fair until it changes for mine, hopefully soon.

Hawks and Tigers without a thought.
The sooner the better, but not holding my breath.
All 3 teams are in different degrees of non- contention, it seems.

Hawks and Tigers without a thought.
The sooner the better, but not holding my breath.
All 3 teams are in different degrees of non- contention, it seems.
I reckon the Hawks and us will rise at similar times over the next few years.

They'll get there a year or two quicker IMO, and it'll be like the reverse of the early 2000s era, where we got there first, and they came a couple years later. The rivalry will be back on for young and old.

Tigers are a long way back IMO. One of their only half decent youngsters in Gibcus just missed a year with a hammy at 20 years of age. Not exactly great signs.

They're also the only team out of the three with a lot of their guns in their prime years. Suggests there's a lot more pain ahead, and not a lot of room for improvement.

We're unbalanced at the moment, but at least we're really old and really young at the same time, with high picks coming through and capspace to burn.

Hawks are similar, but their youngsters are a couple years older than ours, hence why I reckon they'll get there quicker.

Worpel, Lewis & Nash are underrated around here, and are coming into their prime years.

Tigers are in no-mans land, with big money locked into Taranto, Hopper, Rioli, and even Lynch & Dusty still. They sacrificed picks and cash to be good right now, and look a long way off it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One day the hawks please.

Something like this:

Sam Mitchell's Hawthorn is a side full of cocky top 5 draft picks coming into their prime and a swathe of "top up" players after sitting near the bottom for more than a decade.

Meanwhile the cats under a now immortal (4 time premiership coach) Chris Scott have defied expectations of a drop out of the top 8. We've farewelled a dozen champion veterans over the past 5 years and thrown the keys to bunch of up and coming 22-26 year olds, mostly former falcons, who have kicked footies together basically since they could walk.

The hawks end the season first and get an easy ride to the GF by accounting for GC and Port at the MCG. The cats from 7th account for tough opposition in Collingwood, Carlton and Sydney away, and are building momentum at the right time.

Hawks remain the unbackable favourites.

Asked about the rivalry between the two clubs in a press conference pre-match Mitchell says "I never really felt it when I was a player and I doubt our guys feel it now". "It probably exists only in Geelong's heads". And "we're just taking each game and each opposition on their merits, like we always do".

Scott is more forthcoming. "Our players barely have a living memory of 2008, and to be honest I'm the same for 1989.. but if you can't feel a little something extra when you see the fire still in the eyes of past greats of our club, then you're probably in the wrong business.". "No one of us, as an individual, has 'unfinished business' here. But as a whole club... We shouldn't forget our past, and the history that we as a group together have a unique opportunity to make."

The match is close to 3 quarter time, but the longer the game wears on an increasing sense of frustration creeps into the hawks players who are starting to turn on each other. Scott has hatched a clever plan to maximise our strengths and nullify theirs, and the players are sticking to the script. Everyone knows their purpose. In the fourth the floodgates open and we run away with an 8 goal to 1 final term.

One day the hawks please.

Something like this:

Sam Mitchell's Hawthorn is a side full of cocky top 5 draft picks coming into their prime and a swathe of "top up" players after sitting near the bottom for more than a decade.

Meanwhile the cats under a now immortal (4 time premiership coach) Chris Scott have defied expectations of a drop out of the top 8. We've farewelled a dozen champion veterans over the past 5 years and thrown the keys to bunch of up and coming 22-26 year olds, mostly former falcons, who have kicked footies together basically since they could walk.

The hawks end the season first and get an easy ride to the GF by accounting for GC and Port at the MCG. The cats from 7th account for tough opposition in Collingwood, Carlton and Sydney away, and are building momentum at the right time.

Hawks remain the unbackable favourites.

Asked about the rivalry between the two clubs in a press conference pre-match Mitchell says "I never really felt it when I was a player and I doubt our guys feel it now". "It probably exists only in Geelong's heads". And "we're just taking each game and each opposition on their merits, like we always do".

Scott is more forthcoming. "Our players barely have a living memory of 2008, and to be honest I'm the same for 1989.. but if you can't feel a little something extra when you see the fire still in the eyes of past greats of our club, then you're probably in the wrong business.". "No one of us, as an individual, has 'unfinished business' here. But as a whole club... We shouldn't forget our past, and the history that we as a group together have a unique opportunity to make."

The match is close to 3 quarter time, but the longer the game wears on an increasing sense of frustration creeps into the hawks players who are starting to turn on each other. Scott has hatched a clever plan to maximise our strengths and nullify theirs, and the players are sticking to the script. Everyone knows their purpose. In the fourth the floodgates open and we run away with an 8 goal to 1 final term.
Beautiful

I base mine on how much I hate their supporters.
I more pity tigers supporters then hate them. If our club put up what there club did between the mid 1980s and mid 2010s then im pretty sure it would make me go a little insane. Plus tigers supporters are just very low on iq. They are largely incapable of rationalizing. How can you not feel anything but pity.

i despise eagles supporters though and everything their club stands for. We are just lucky they are 5 hours away by flight. They rorted the draft system in the late eighties/early 90 and in my mind did some other quite dubious things (both legal and illegal) in the early 90s to 2010s that cant be named. Their culture is the worst in the league and their fans love it. Bask in it fact. and on top they feel like they are the victims of mistreatment by a victorian led comp.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back