Which 4 players from our premiership team (2007-2011) would you pick to be in our current team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Based on need, with all 2023 team fit,
Wojo-rare speed and able to play on dangerous small forwards
GAJ-best mid we have ever had- walks into that team.
Selwood- best leader and made others walk taller
Ling-brilliant tagger, negator, but able to dominate MF and kick goals.

Last edited:
Just pick the best 4, and let the chips fall where they may
Ablett, Selwood, Enright, Johnson
Probably is the best 4, but don't forget the other Brownlow Medalist and Norm Smith. He went alright too. Not to mention Scarlett's toe poke secured 2009.

Why is this thread only about 4 players? Can't we have 6. Lol

Can't really pick players from the 07 - 11 side and leave out Johnson... so David Johnson in first for me.

Love the idea of Tenace hitting Cameron on the chest in the pocket, with a wobbly bullet that was actually meant for Hawkins leading up the middle. So he is in number 2.

We could use some blistering pace, and we had a player with tons of that in those years... Taylor Hunt 3rd on that basis.

And we were blessed for brilliant father/sons in that period, and while I've only ever seen the sons play, it's definitely arguable they have exceeded the older generation. So to represent the best of the Golden Generation, Blakey in 4th.

Who would you pick?? I have it a go in my head and found it tough.

I love the idea of a premiership defense, so settled on enright, Scarlett, Johnson and ablett jnr. But I think there is a huge debate for almost anyone in that team and my next cab off the rank would be a toss up between bartel and ottens

Give your thoughts to this hypothetical scenario
Ottens (you must really rate rhys stanley), ablett, s.johnson, selwood.

scarlett, bartel and chapman would be next.

Ottens (you must really rate rhys stanley), ablett, s.johnson, selwood.

scarlett, bartel and chapman would be next.
He does his role, I had ottens next in line with bartel. I just question the value of ruckman over other field positions in modern footy was my chain of thought.

Probably is the best 4, but don't forget the other Brownlow Medalist and Norm Smith. He went alright too. Not to mention Scarlett's toe poke secured 2009.

Why is this thread only about 4 players? Can't we have 6. Lol
Makes me wonder as well how many players from this current side would crack the 07-11 side. Not too many I think..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Makes me wonder as well how many players from this current side would crack the 07-11 side. Not too many I think..
Danger, hawkins, cameron, stewart, smith, duncan, stengle, j.henry, holmes (remember shannon byrnes played in two flags), rhyce stanley (better back up then west and blake) and even close, touhy, j.bews or blicavs could sneak in.

as for a best side merging all 6 sides.

b j.henry, scarlett, bews or wojo
hb stewart, taylor, enright.
c duncan, danger, smith or mackie
hf sjohnson, mooney, chapman
f cameron, hawkins, stengle
r. Ottens, selwood, ablett
int. Stanley, bartel, ling, corey.
emg milburn, holmes, kelly

Last edited:
Love the idea!!

1. Matthew Scarlett - happy to have two generals in the backline (Stewart and Scarlett)
2. A fit Brad Ottens
3. Harry Taylor
4. Joel Selwood - for leadership and sheer guts / determination

Love the idea!!

1. Matthew Scarlett - happy to have two generals in the backline (Stewart and Scarlett)
2. A fit Brad Ottens
3. Harry Taylor
4. Joel Selwood - for leadership and sheer guts / determination
Im sorry but you wouodnt pick ablett? Especially given the midfield is our biggest weakness?

You would choose both scarlett and taylor when we already have j.henry, kolo, dekonning, stewart down back?

Im sorry but you wouodnt pick ablett? Especially given the midfield is our biggest weakness?

You would choose both scarlett and taylor when we already have j.henry, kolo, dekonning, stewart down back?
I'm sorry that I didn't meet your selection requirements. I'm happy with Selwood, Dangerfield, Guthrie, Blicavs, Holmes, Atkins etc. I like that Taylor could play as a swingman.

In choosing I'm looking at any deficiencies we have at the moment and what players from back then can offer.

1 - Ottens is self explanatory.
2- Wojinski for pace and ability to play on small quick forwards.
3 - Chapman for his ability to play forward as a small but also link up the ground and into the midfield (along with class).
4 - Joel Corey for midfield clearance work.

Danger, hawkins, cameron, stewart, smith, duncan, stengle, j.henry, holmes (remember shannon byrnes played in two flags), rhyce stanley (better back up then west and blake) and even close, touhy, j.bews or blicavs could sneak in.

good go at it, not an easy one or necessarily a correct answer as there are so many good players.

which kelly do you have on the bench>> I would have J kelly a walk up easily and replacing probably Wojo ( who I have ahead of news), and then milburn in for Henry.

only adjustments I can make if I was to select.

In choosing I'm looking at any deficiencies we have at the moment and what players from back then can offer.

1 - Ottens is self explanatory.
2- Wojinski for pace and ability to play on small quick forwards.
3 - Chapman for his ability to play forward as a small but also link up the ground and into the midfield (along with class).
4 - Joel Corey for midfield clearance work.
different perspectively but nicely validated.

FB: Henry Scarlett Stewart
HB: Mackie Taylor Enright
C: Duncan Dangerfield Holmes
HF: Chapman Cameron Close
FF: Stengle Hawkins Johnson
Fol: Ottens Selwood Ablett
IC: Bartel Blicavs Milburn Kelly Stokes(sub)

Bolded from current team, although we'd probably take Dangerfield from his Brownlow year if possible and an earlier Duncan. Bews potentially in Henry's spot as a genuine small defender. People may raise their eyebrows at Holmes or Close, but plugging them into this team with their run and creativity would be a joy to watch. Blicavs more versatility than Corey, who admittedly is stiff to miss out.

Who would you pick?? I have it a go in my head and found it tough.

I love the idea of a premiership defense, so settled on enright, Scarlett, Johnson and ablett jnr. But I think there is a huge debate for almost anyone in that team and my next cab off the rank would be a toss up between bartel and ottens

Give your thoughts to this hypothetical scenario
Bartel, Ottens, Selwood (prime), Ablett

Remove this Banner Ad

Back